We’ve got cake…

I’ve always liked – and remembered – the line from the movie, Twister… “Julia, I gotta go… we got cows.”  Now,  after months of waiting, I think we can do just a skosh better.”  Julia – I gotta go… we got cake!”

CT CM Delivery Cropped

This box of advance samples was delivered to my office about ten days ago.  They kind of disappeared.  Fortunately, a couple of pallets containing many, many more were delivered to the warehouse on Monday.  (And they’re disappearing quickly… shipping to shops everywhere.  How cool is that?)

While we’ve mentioned the Cake Mixes before, we were waiting to tell you more about them until you could actually get them.

So what is a Cake Mix?  It’s a 10″ x 10″ pad of triangle paper sized for using with Layer Cakes. There are 45 sheets in each pad – one for each piece of fabric in a Layer Cake plus a few extras for “testing”.

Recipes?  There are four different grids so there are currently four different recipes.  Two of the recipes make two different sizes of half-triangle squares from the same paper, and the remaining two recipes make a single size half-triangle square on each sheet.

CT CMs Arrive

Is that it?  Nope.  Each recipe pad includes at least four block options for the HTSs made with that recipe grid.  There is also information on simple settings and layouts, and how big the quilts would be.

Think of the Cake Mix pad as being like a Devil’s Food cake mix from the grocery store.  Take one Cake Mix, add 1 or 2 Layer Cakes and you’ve got everything you need to make a quilt.  Or a chocolate cake.  It’s a great cake too – simple, fast and just a few ingredients.

But if you start adding extras – like a can of cherry pie filling – and you can turn that chocolate cake mix into Chocolate Cherry Bars!

But I’m getting just a bit ahead of the story.  This is the quilt that started the baking…

CT CM Origin

I saw this quilt on Pinterest and started trying to figure out if I could get the parts I needed from a pre-cut.  Two matching charm packs were quickly rejected – the block would be too small and I would be two small HTSs short.  Layer Cakes?  A few sheets of paper and lots of numbers and squares later… what you’ll find in Recipe 2 was complete.

I drew up several grids and the next thing you know… we’re making Cake Mix quilts for Fall Quilt Market.

CT-Collage-1

Clockwise from the upper left:

While the Cake Mix pads include everything you need to make most of these quilts, we wanted to write “recipes” for each of the quilts we’d made to let you know what we’d done.  And because recipes really should be about cookies, cakes and such, the quilts got names to correspond with an edible recipe.

The specifics about each Cake Mix are:

• Recipe 1 – 4″ and 8″ finished
  • Recipe 2  – 2 1/4″ and 4 1/2″ finished.
  • Recipe 3 – 2″ finished
  • Recipe 4 – 4″ and/or 3 3/4″ finished

The number of recipe cards required to make a block varies – it depends on the block and the recipe.  I know… it’s confusing but it’s kind of like how many slices of cake you can get from a 9″ square cake.  It all depends on how you cut it – squares or rectangles – and how big the pieces are.

CT-Collage-2

Clockwise from the upper left:

To put this all in one place – Go to Fun & Free at the top of this page.  From there – Cake Mix.

Or you could just go directly there… the first thing you’ll see is this –

Cake Mix Recipe 2 – the quilt at the end is Lemon Bars – made with Lulu Lane by Corey Yoder.

As for the rest of the page – those are the recipes for each of the quilts we’ve made so far.  And yes, the edible recipe behind the name of each quilt is included in the PDF. download.

There are two more quilts coming in the next couple of weeks…

CT CM In the works Bella

Bella Solids and a few extra fabrics.  And there’s something about a Sugar Pie coming too.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten something… it’s a common occurrence.

The Julia in the Twister movie line wasn’t Julia Child but she does tie into this.  Like so many others, I loved Julia Child.  Smart, funny, independent and her own woman – it stands to reason that she said a lot of smart, funny and very wise things.  Each Cake Mix pad includes a quote from Julia Child.

My favorite is – A party without cake is just a meeting.

Layer Cakes and Cake Mixes.

That sounds like fun to me.

46 comments on “We’ve got cake…

1. Momma Lisa says:

I am the pastry chef of the family. This sounds so creatively cute! I do cute.

2. Gabriella B says:

Looks interesting …..but I would like to see more videos. Does one pad make one quilt of all the same block.?? Show me more on how to use this please

Hi Gabriella! There are more videos coming – from Moda and from others.

To answer your questions – yes, one pad will make enough pieces and blocks to make one quilt. Though the two Shortbread quilts were made using a single Cake Mix pad, one print Layer Cake and one Bella Solid Layer Cake. A little bit of yardage for sashings and borders and we had two terrific throw-sized quilts that would be great for kids.

Because the pieces from each recipe are the same size, the blocks can all be different and they’ll still all fit together. For Recipe 3 and 4, there is a “pattern” in the Cake Mix section of Fun & Free that includes fifty different blocks that can be made with just those grids. 🙂

3. David says:

These are awesome and appeal to me in so many ways! Just brilliant!

4. Cynthia McGuire says:

Well, the good thing about these cakes is that they are all sugar free, right?

5. Joanne Moore says:

I agree with David…brilliant! The cake mixes look as though they would be great for beginner quilters as well as advanced with so many block options. Can’t wait to see them on the shelf of our local quilt shops.

6. Patricia says:

I can’t wait to try these. What a great idea.

7. Susan says:

How cool is that? What a great idea and you must be a genius! Looking forward to these cake mix papers and quilts.

8. Joy Dickson says:

These sound so yummy. Can’t wait to see them! I want to try All Bark. Love Basic Grey.

9. Kathy clark says:

Sooooo where can I buy these yummy desserts?

Hi Kathy – the Cake Mix pads started shipping from the UN warehouse on Monday so they should start popping up in shops any day now. If your favorite quilt shop hasn’t ordered them, I know that several online shops will have them. (I know I’m biased but they really have been a lot of fun to sew and play with.)

10. Alice says:

You knocked it out of the park, again!!!

11. Teri Hackett says:

I am agreeing with David, this idea is brilliant and I can’t wait to get my hands on one and play! I also love Julia Child and her wit and wisdom, not to mention her energy. This is going to be great fun for me!

12. Karen Weidler says:

I love this! The video was very clever. Cannot wait to try these cake mixes out. Thank you Moda.

13. Tracey says:

We all know that Moda + Carrie = something great!!! Fantastic!

14. Mary Ann says:

So fun!!!! Looking forward to trying these out.

15. Peg Aront says:

What a fun idea! Can’t wait to be able to buy one!
    Peggy in NJ

16. Ruth says:

Brilliant
    ! Where and when will this be available?

Hi Ruth – the Cake Mixes started shipping to quilt shops on Monday so they should be arriving any day now. Hopefully, your favorite quilt shop ordered a few.

17. Absolutely fabulous idea. Excited to try. As always with Carrie, where there’s a will there’s a way. I’ve always loved how your mind works Thank you Carrie for another fabulous teaching lesson. Hugs

18. Donna Irmis says:

JuI st when I think I’m in a disciplined and orderly march to completion……..Squirrel! Now instead of finishing up a current project, I’m all set to try this one! You are a temptress! Thanks for so many good ideas.

19. Sue says:

OK-WHEN are they going to be in stores??? I’ve called and looked online. Nothing. Or do we buy straight from MODA???

20. Judi says:

Love love ❤️ this idea. As a collector of all those Sweet Shop goidies! I would love a mix that uses layer cakes, charms and Jelly rolls( in some combo). I make minis as well as king quilts!

Thanks for making these yummy recipes for us!

22. Very clever – love the idea!!!

23. Karen Seitz says:

These look really fun, and I certainly have the layer cake stash to give them a try. I have to share my favorite Julia Child quote. “A passionate interest in what you do is the secret of enjoying life — whether it is helping old people or children, or making cheese or growing earthworms.”

24. quiltingholliday says:

I love your creativity Carrie! Always great, unique & fun! I can hardly wait to “bake” a layer cake!!

25. Cathy Mc. says:

I wish I could snap my fingers and get results like that! But truly, an inspired idea.

26. Melinda Ringer says:

VERY VERY sad and disappointed with Moda fabrics right now! Just completed the quilt “playful” using the Bonnie and Camille line, Vintage Picnic. The quilt turned out beautiful. It is for a very special friend who is getting married on Saturday! Once it was completed, I washed it, like I do all my quilts in cold water and with color catchers and the red bled all over the white! The white is now PINK!!! I have cried buckets. It is soaking in my tub with Oxyclean, but I don’t think I will ever get all the pink out!! SO disappointed in MODA…….

27. EllenB says:

Can’t wait to to try something new! Thanks for letting us know that FQS has them now.

28. Helen LeBrett says:

they look so much fun: what a great idea!! I quilt so much better with paper piecing, so this is going to be a win/win for me!! 🙂 Hugs, H

29. I can see why you had such fun playing with these! The ‘math nerd’ in me would love to play too! LOL I will have to keep a lookout for these.

30. Barb Brandt says:

that video! It demonstrates how easy peasy and fun it will be to use these Cake mixes. I just need to work on my finger snapping technique

31. DebrafromMD says:

Can’t wait for thes to hit the LQS.

32. JanetF says:

I was lucky enough to be sitting at the same table the Moda rep was taking orders from my LQS and I piped right up about these – can’t wait for them to arrive! Maybe THEN I can whittle down my layer cake pile! Or maybe they’ll be an excuse to buy more!

33. Sandy says:

They’re at the Moda booth at Road to CA this weekend! Check them out.

34. […] We first shared the video when we introduced the Cake Mixes – We’ve got cake… […]

35. Carolyn Capps says:

I love this idea and love paper piecing. Is there anywhere than I can see pictures of the finished quilts for each recipe? I just watched a tutorial at Missouri Star Quilt company for one of the options and would like to see more.

Hi Carolyn – When you “land” on The Cutting Table blog, right under the title at the top, look for Fun & Free – it’s the third from the left. Click that. On the Fun & Free page, the first category is for Cake Mixes. Click that. 🙂

On the Cake Mix page, there is a tutorial video, some general information, and all of the Recipes for the quilts we’ve made using the Cake Mixes. When new quilts are added, that’s where they’ll go.

36. Rosemaryflower says:

I just found this (late arrival to the party)
    I love it!!
    I have way too many layer cakes begging for attention

37. We got these in January for our shop when they first came out… We have ordered since 3 times the assortment pack of 4 each of all 4 Cake Recipes… They are great! We have been doing classes and the quilts are all different and fun. Several of our ladies have ironed them on our fusible grid and it makes the squares go much faster. Looking forward to seeing more recipes… Home a la mode / Denison, TX Karen Smisek