Barb and Alma wouldn’t want a home that didn’t have quilts on the beds, cross-stitched samplers on the walls, and hooked rugs on the floors. They love the color and texture that textiles bring to their homes. Watch out, because they are on a mission to see that your home has the same welcoming touch!
The ladies of Blackbird Designs have worked together for over 17 years, sharing their creative ideas with quilters and stitchers all over the world. They have published over 275 books and patterns and are two of the most popular teachers and designers in the needlework industry.
Kansas City is home to them both. Because they live on opposite sides of a city known for its urban sprawl, getting together is sometimes a challenge. Meeting halfway works well for them and they get to enjoy each other’s company over a glass of iced tea or, to quote Barb, “A fresh coke!”
The soft, faded colors seen in antique quilts are a delight to both and are reflected in the fabric they design for Moda Fabrics. Barb and Alma have designed for Moda for over 14 years and love being a part of such a creative company.
If you see a black van on the road filled with quilts, props and antiques, wave as you go by because it might just be Barb and Alma. Don’t follow too closely, though. You never know when they might slam on the brakes because they’ve seen an antique shop. It’s a sure bet that they are going to stop and see what they can find!
- Secret Garden - Two Quilt PatternsOur newest quilt booklet is finished and is available now. The booklet is inspired by the colors and shades of late summer/early autumn, and these two quilts are our favorites. Although one is pieced and the other is appliquéd, they look smashing together. Barb and I made this quilt this... Read more »
- Down Memory LaneThank you Eddie Landreth for taking me down memory land and giving me a morning's pleasure! Eddie sent these pictures of his latest quilt to me and gave permission to share them. Eddie used the featured pattern from our book Garden Club to make his quilt. I went back through my... Read more »
- Hyde Park PatternLet's get going!What you need: 2 Hyde Park Jellyrolls1/2 yd. each of three green prints1 1/4 yd. of another green print (Use for sashing rectangles, binding and one 2 1/2" strip.)The blockInstructions for the 16 blocks:Grab a purple, pink or blue strip and cut 16 - 2 1/2" squares.Grab a... Read more »
- Apple OrchardQuick update!The second pattern in the Garden Club series will be available soon in your local shops. It was shipped out to the distributors on Friday. I'm off to the warehouse now to ship out more orders! Such a beautiful day here....hope your weather is nice too.Until later,Alma... Read more »
- New PatternsWe have three new patterns. These will be shipped out on Monday and/or Tuesday to distributors. The first two are Reward of Merit patterns. The third pattern pictured below begins our new Garden Club series. Basket of Cherries Welcome to our Garden Club! You’re going to love belonging to our... Read more »