Betsy Chutchian developed a passionate interest in fabric, quilts, sewing and history as a child.
After graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1980, Betsy received an antique quilt top made by her paternal great-grandmother and great-aunt. It was then that she taught herself to quilt.
Betsy began teaching in 1990 and she shares her passion for quiltmaking and reproducing 19th Century quilts through teaching, presentations and bed-turnings. She is the author of several books – her latest being Classic and Heirloom Quilts published by It’s Sew Emma, and the coming-very-soon Treasury of Quilts from Martingale. Her previous books include: Gone to Texas, Quilts from a Pioneer Woman’s Journal, Lizzie’s Legacy and Just Treats, No Tricks with Kansas City Star. She also co-authored History Repeated, Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th Century Patchwork Divas. Betsy is also the co-founder of the 19th Century Patchwork Divas, a block exchange group dedicated 1800’s reproduction fabric.
Betsy’s passion for fabric, fabric study, and antique quilts has led her to design fabric with Moda – which isn’t far from Grand Prairie, Texas, where she lives with her husband Steve and a couple of cats.
- Moda BlockHeads Week 21 Flying Geese Variation by Jo MortonAnother week, another block! How are your blocks coming along? This week Jo has brought us a fun block called Flying Geese Variation...you know I do love geese...thanks Jo!What a difference in color! Photos were taken only seconds apart! I'll never be a good photographer. Pretend I tea dyed... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week 20 is my week, 'Devil's Claws'Wasn't it my turn, like yesterday??? How are you all doing with your blocks? Staying caught up, I hope. So far so good for me. I've needed to do some advance prep for blocks when going out of town and to my surprise, I'm getting them done and scheduling a... Read more »
- Week 19 Moda BlockHeads by Lynne HagmeierSummer....it's hot in Texas and time for a retreat! I'm writing this post before I leave and when BlockHead Wednesday arrives I'll still be at retreat. I've got more projects planned than I can possibly do, but that's OK, better than not enough!For this week's block, the geese are flying...Night... Read more »
- Week 18 Moda BlockHeads Rocky Mountain PuzzleHope you all had a fabulous 4th of July! And a wonderful week of sewing or other fun summer activities. LOL as I write, I'm thinking of all my friends across the world...not a holiday for you, and for many it is winter! Regardless dear friends, hope your day today... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads Week 17 Trail of Tears by Lisa BongeanI'm writing today's post on Monday. I have another full week of helping my daughter ahead of me, so I'm trying to be prepared. Poor Rachel. She is in the hospital after a what should have been a routine procedure. Without going into detail, as I'm sure she wouldn't want... Read more »
- Welcome! Week 14 and it's MY weekWelcome to Moda BlockHeads block of the week, Block 14 Square in a Square. Are you new to BlockHeads? The number of followers on the Facebook group, Moda BlockHeads, has reached 11,965 members at this writing and by the time you read this Wednesday, I'm sure we will have over... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads week 13 Bowtie Quartet by Lynne HagmeierAnd here we are after another busy week that has absolutely flown by. My little grandson came home from the hospital Monday. This Mimi is pooped, but so happy to have had big sister with us for several nights, while Reed was in NICU. I'll put a photo or two,... Read more »
- Week 12 Moda BlockHeads Block 12...PuzzledWow, fast week at Quilt Market! Home Sunday night, pick up granddaughter Monday and Tuesday morning at 10:10 we have a new grandson! Crazy Mimi here, posting just before midnight for BlockHead Wednesday.I'm SO glad I made the blocks before Market. but I do have to say this will be... Read more »