Betsy Chutchian developed a passionate interest in fabric, quilts, sewing and history as a child.
After graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1980, Betsy received an antique quilt top made by her paternal great-grandmother and great-aunt. It was then that she taught herself to quilt.
Betsy began teaching in 1990 and she shares her passion for quiltmaking and reproducing 19th Century quilts through teaching, presentations and bed-turnings. She is the author of several books – her latest being Classic and Heirloom Quilts published by It’s Sew Emma, and the coming-very-soon Treasury of Quilts from Martingale. Her previous books include: Gone to Texas, Quilts from a Pioneer Woman’s Journal, Lizzie’s Legacy and Just Treats, No Tricks with Kansas City Star. She also co-authored History Repeated, Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th Century Patchwork Divas. Betsy is also the co-founder of the 19th Century Patchwork Divas, a block exchange group dedicated 1800’s reproduction fabric.
Betsy’s passion for fabric, fabric study, and antique quilts has led her to design fabric with Moda – which isn’t far from Grand Prairie, Texas, where she lives with her husband Steve and a couple of cats.
- Direction Block 11 by Sherri McConnell for Moda BlockHeadsHello Wednesday, Moda BlockHeads day! Today's block is by one of our new blockheads, Sherri McConnell of the mom and daughter design team Sherri and Chelsi. Hope you take time to visit Sherri's blog, A Quilting Life. Don't you love that name for a blog, or anything??Here is my version... Read more »
- Today...Block 10 Duck and Ducklings by Jo Morton for Moda BlockHeads 2Happy Wednesday everyone! It's Moda BlockHeads 2 day and today's designer is Jo Morton. Jo's block is a favorite of mine, Duck and Ducklings. Here is my version. This week's fabrics are all from Evelyn's Homestead. I chose a dark background this time.12" blockTo piece the Half Square Triangles, quickly and accurately,... Read more »
- Today's Block 9 for Moda BlockHeads2, is ''With a Plus" by Laurie SimpsonHappy Wednesday! Today's block is super easy. Thank you Laurie, I enjoyed the simplicity of the block. If you are behind in making blocks, this cute block will help you catch up quickly!Isn't it cute?Click here for the pattern on Laurie's blog.I tried several options, but this one was the... Read more »
- Spin Cycle Block 7 Moda BlockHeads 2 by Stacy Iest Hsu and moreHello Wednesday! Hello Moda BlockHeads and friends! Today is Stacy's first block, Spin Cycle. A cute 6" block that is fast and easy. LOL after last week, we all needed an easy block!I hope you all found my tips and photos helpful.For Stacy's pattern for Spin Cycle, CLICK HERE and it will... Read more »
- It's MY day for Moda BlockHeads! Block 6 Path thru the WoodsIt's been a busy week since Block 5 for Moda BlockHeads. I'm at a retreat as you read this, 19th Century Patchwork Diva retreat to be exact. So, I'm writing this before I go....fingers crossed blogger posts as I have scheduled!!! Internet reception is sometimes hit or miss, at the wonderful... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads 2 Block 5 Impact by Vanessa GoertzenHappy Wednesday! It's the 4th of July! So let's celebrate with Vanessa Goertzen's block Impact. And what do you do on the 4th of July....You go BIG...lots of food, parades, and fireworks. And you go big with Vanessa too....a 24" block, and it is awesome! Find out more about Vanessa,... Read more »
- BlockHeads Block 3 and MOREHello Wednesday! It is Moda BlockHeads 2 week 3 with Carrie Nelson's block Pennsylvania. Fun, fast and easy. So easy that like last week, I've made two! No this isn't a 'design' plan, rather it's more of a 'Betsy can't make up her mind' plan.I'm also going to do little... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads 2 starts TODAYSo. It’s been a while...I think the last time I blogged was in February?? I planned a blogging break, but truly not this long! So what’s been going on? I’ve been teaching and traveling, a lot. Amazing places, wonderful students, meeting new friends, traveling with great friends. Alabama, East Texas,... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads update...Hello dear friends...I've just learned some exciting news to share with you all....there will be a BlockHeads 2! I have NO details at all. Please stay tuned for updates as they become available. Wow! Are you ready for a new adventure???Meanwhile....I'm still trying to find the right sashing for BlockHeads... Read more »
- It's been great...Week 48 Moda BlockHeads Honeymoon by Carrie NelsonWow...48 weeks of weekly posts for Moda BlockHeads...It's a wrap. I hope you all have enjoyed this block of the week as much as I have. While we are wrapping up our 6" blocks, we are sharing our setting plans today. Question of the Week....Since we are sharing settings, 'fess up. ... Read more »