Betsy Chutchian developed a passionate interest in fabric, quilts, sewing and history as a child.
After graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1980, Betsy received an antique quilt top made by her paternal great-grandmother and great-aunt. It was then that she taught herself to quilt.
Betsy began teaching in 1990 and she shares her passion for quiltmaking and reproducing 19th Century quilts through teaching, presentations and bed-turnings. She is the author of several books – her latest being Classic and Heirloom Quilts published by It’s Sew Emma, and the coming-very-soon Treasury of Quilts from Martingale. Her previous books include: Gone to Texas, Quilts from a Pioneer Woman’s Journal, Lizzie’s Legacy and Just Treats, No Tricks with Kansas City Star. She also co-authored History Repeated, Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th Century Patchwork Divas. Betsy is also the co-founder of the 19th Century Patchwork Divas, a block exchange group dedicated 1800’s reproduction fabric.
Betsy’s passion for fabric, fabric study, and antique quilts has led her to design fabric with Moda – which isn’t far from Grand Prairie, Texas, where she lives with her husband Steve and a couple of cats.
- Moda BlockHeads Block 8 Basket of TrianglesHello everyone! Another week, another block! and this week is MY week. I'm so happy to bring you... Basket of TrianglesPattern link is below.For this block, I chose a background from Lizzie's Legacy, a red print from Hope's Journey and the brown and gold prints are from Rachel Remembered which is... Read more »
- Penny Basket Week 7 Moda BlockHeadsTime for another block! The week absolutely flew by. Easter holiday even surprised me...I just was not ready.You may be reading this while I'm at Jury Duty! Wish me luck and pray I don't get chosen. Is there ever a GOOD time for Jury Duty??? OH MY! Book deadlines and... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads Week 6 SunflowerHere we go... Week 6, designed for you by Carrie Nelson...a sweet and fun to sew Sunflower block.Before I show my blocks and talk blockheads, did you know Carol Staehle and I were on American Patchwork and Quilting's podcast with Pat Sloan yesterday? We were dishing DIVAS! lol Talking with... Read more »
- Week 5 Moda BlockHeads BOWI cannot believe it. The week flew by and here we are for Block 5, designed by Lisa Bongean. It's fabulous, but I want to prepare you for tiny pieces and lots of them. Starch! Do you hear me? Starch! LOL. Below is my version of this week's block. Keep reading for... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads WEEK 4Week 4 is a darling applique block by Jan Patek. Click on Jan's name to be directed to her blog for this week's pattern.What a nice change to do a little applique! Thank you Jan! I love it!Hand appliqued, and I loved the change of pace...slow down and stitch!!! I... Read more »
- BlockHeads recapGood Morning BlockHeads, this is only a recap, answers to questions, and a test!I'm having trouble posting the Wednesday blocks at the time I set. If this comes to your inbox today, then this particular test failed, but every test tells me something, to do,or NOT to do! LOL. I'll... Read more »
- BlockHeads block #3Welcome to Moda BlockHeads BOW Week 3!I think we are all having a great time making and posting our BlockHeads blocks of the week. If you haven't joined the Facebook group, Moda Blockheads, you are missing the photos from the group members. In the short time it has been up,... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads Block 2 Aunt DinahOur Moda Block Heads Block of the Week has gotten off to a fantastic start! Lynne, Jo, Jan, Lisa, Carrie and I, ALL thank you!!!It is my pleasure to bring you Block 2 Aunt Dinah. For this block, I chose 5 prints for a scrappy look from Hope's Journey and... Read more »
- Week 1 Moda Block Heads Block of the WeekHere we go...Block 1 Whirlygig Go to Lynne Hagmeier's blog for the free pattern http://kansastroublesquilters-lynne.blogspot.com/ No need to sign up!Just visit us each week for the next pattern. Jo, Lynne, Jan, Lisa and Carrie. All of our links are below so visit all our social media listings. A new Facebook group has just been... Read more »
- One Week from Today UPDATE and MOREAnd sew it will begin! one week from today, March 8.Each Wednesday, one of us, Lynne, Betsy, Jan, Jo, Lisa, and Carrie, will post a block on our blogs. Print the pattern and get to sewing! Each of us will be making the blocks, sewing right along with you....until some... Read more »