Betsy Chutchian developed a passionate interest in fabric, quilts, sewing and history as a child.
After graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1980, Betsy received an antique quilt top made by her paternal great-grandmother and great-aunt. It was then that she taught herself to quilt.
Betsy began teaching in 1990 and she shares her passion for quiltmaking and reproducing 19th Century quilts through teaching, presentations and bed-turnings. She is the author of several books – her latest being Classic and Heirloom Quilts published by It’s Sew Emma, and the coming-very-soon Treasury of Quilts from Martingale. Her previous books include: Gone to Texas, Quilts from a Pioneer Woman’s Journal, Lizzie’s Legacy and Just Treats, No Tricks with Kansas City Star. She also co-authored History Repeated, Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th Century Patchwork Divas. Betsy is also the co-founder of the 19th Century Patchwork Divas, a block exchange group dedicated 1800’s reproduction fabric.
Betsy’s passion for fabric, fabric study, and antique quilts has led her to design fabric with Moda – which isn’t far from Grand Prairie, Texas, where she lives with her husband Steve and a couple of cats.
- Moda BlockHeads 2 starts TODAYSo. It’s been a while...I think the last time I blogged was in February?? I planned a blogging break, but truly not this long! So what’s been going on? I’ve been teaching and traveling, a lot. Amazing places, wonderful students, meeting new friends, traveling with great friends. Alabama, East Texas,... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads update...Hello dear friends...I've just learned some exciting news to share with you all....there will be a BlockHeads 2! I have NO details at all. Please stay tuned for updates as they become available. Wow! Are you ready for a new adventure???Meanwhile....I'm still trying to find the right sashing for BlockHeads... Read more »
- It's been great...Week 48 Moda BlockHeads Honeymoon by Carrie NelsonWow...48 weeks of weekly posts for Moda BlockHeads...It's a wrap. I hope you all have enjoyed this block of the week as much as I have. While we are wrapping up our 6" blocks, we are sharing our setting plans today. Question of the Week....Since we are sharing settings, 'fess up. ... Read more »
- Week 47 Moda Block Heads Starry 9 Patch by Lisa BongeanWelcome to Wednesday, BlockHead day! Number 47! One to go and we will be done! What a great block number 47 is....Thanks Lisa! In fact they have all been great blocks! I've had a ball making these, hope you have as well.Question of the Week... Now that we are nearing... Read more »
- Week 46 Moda BlockHeads Cat and Dog by Jan PatekWeek 46! Two blocks to go! This week is a cute applique from Jan Patek. Before I get to the pattern, I need to explain why the link didn't work to send you to Jo's pattern....I wrote the blog early, before going on retreat. I tested and thought everything was... Read more »
- Week 45 Moda BlockHeads Double Dutch by Jo MortonOk here we go with Week 45 Moda BlockHeads! 45! 3 blocks to go! How are you doing ? Are you caught up? I am totally shocked that I've been able to keep up. The weekly pace suits me. Hope you are still with us and enjoying the journey.Question of... Read more »
- Week 44 Moda BlockHeads is Lawyer's Puzzle by ME!Ok, faithful followers 4 blocks to go after today. You've almost made it!!! What a great journey this has been. I have my setting planned and the reveal for it is TBD. Be gathering your thoughts....don't think there can be a wrong choice for this project. The blocks look so... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads week 43 Any Direction by Lynne HagmeierI'm writing this Tuesday, the day after Christmas. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, with family and friends. Every year I say my house my house has shrunk in size, full of my cupboards, and collections and fabric and quilts, leaving little room for family to get from... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads Week 42 Turnstile by Carrie NelsonSix blocks to go...Merry Christmas! This is the last one before Christmas. Thank you Carrie for a quick block! I don't know about all of you but I'm a bit frazzled this year! I'm still looking for my winner, Ester Townley. Please email me your address at this address email@example.com so we can... Read more »
- Winner announced!Good Morning! I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed reading each and every comment. I found a number in the spam folder this morning, don't know why, but published them and read them and included them in the drawing. I hope I got everyone! Thank you all for your comments.I... Read more »