Betsy Chutchian developed a passionate interest in fabric, quilts, sewing and history as a child.
After graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1980, Betsy received an antique quilt top made by her paternal great-grandmother and great-aunt. It was then that she taught herself to quilt.
Betsy began teaching in 1990 and she shares her passion for quiltmaking and reproducing 19th Century quilts through teaching, presentations and bed-turnings. She is the author of several books – her latest being Classic and Heirloom Quilts published by It’s Sew Emma, and the coming-very-soon Treasury of Quilts from Martingale. Her previous books include: Gone to Texas, Quilts from a Pioneer Woman’s Journal, Lizzie’s Legacy and Just Treats, No Tricks with Kansas City Star. She also co-authored History Repeated, Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th Century Patchwork Divas. Betsy is also the co-founder of the 19th Century Patchwork Divas, a block exchange group dedicated 1800’s reproduction fabric.
Betsy’s passion for fabric, fabric study, and antique quilts has led her to design fabric with Moda – which isn’t far from Grand Prairie, Texas, where she lives with her husband Steve and a couple of cats.
- Moda BlockHeads Week 28 Pumpkin by Jan PatekIt's Pumpkin time! YAY! Well almost here in Texas. Pumpkins will start arriving end of the month or early October. It's my favorite time of year. As soon as I can meet some early Market deadlines, I'll decorate. Love, Love, Love this time of year. Cooler days and nights, although... Read more »
- Week 27 Moda BlockHeads Jo Morton's Union VariationWelcome to BlockHeads Week 27! The block this week is Union Variation by Jo Morton. Jo and I love this block and both have quilts using it. I'm so glad Jo submitted this one!I'm sorry for any inconvenience you may have had last week when Blogger didn't recognize my pattern... Read more »
- It's My Week for Moda BlockHeads - Cat's CradleWe are back again ... this time it is my week for Moda BlockHeads, Cat's Cradle is the pattern. Hope you enjoy making this sweet block, but before we begin, let's answer the Question of the WeekIn the 20 years you've been making quilts - is there a product invention that... Read more »
- Twice the Friendship, Blockheads block #25 by Lynne HagmeierHere we are again for Week 25 Moda Blockheads! This week's fun block is brought to you by Lynne Hagmeier. Such a fun block to make. I have not used Lynne's layered techniques for my blocks, so you will want to go to her blog for those special tips and... Read more »
- Week 23 Winneconne Star by Lisa BongeanHello everyone, I'm writing this post early because as you read this, I'm in Alaska! Well, actually on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas cruise ship teaching Hope's Journey wild goose chase quilt. I hope I'll have some pretty photos to share.Question of the Week...What is your favorite brand of... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads Week 22 Birdhouse by Jan PatekQuestion of the week... What kind of batting do you use?I primarily use Hobb's 80 - 20 especially for really scrappy quilts with LOTS of piecing. I have found the seams nestle in very well. When I want a quilt super drapey, I like wool. Another batting I've used is... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads Week 21 Flying Geese Variation by Jo MortonAnother week, another block! How are your blocks coming along? This week Jo has brought us a fun block called Flying Geese Variation...you know I do love geese...thanks Jo!What a difference in color! Photos were taken only seconds apart! I'll never be a good photographer. Pretend I tea dyed... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week 20 is my week, 'Devil's Claws'Wasn't it my turn, like yesterday??? How are you all doing with your blocks? Staying caught up, I hope. So far so good for me. I've needed to do some advance prep for blocks when going out of town and to my surprise, I'm getting them done and scheduling a... Read more »