Betsy Chutchian developed a passionate interest in fabric, quilts, sewing and history as a child.
After graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1980, Betsy received an antique quilt top made by her paternal great-grandmother and great-aunt. It was then that she taught herself to quilt.
Betsy began teaching in 1990 and she shares her passion for quiltmaking and reproducing 19th Century quilts through teaching, presentations and bed-turnings. She is the author of several books – her latest being Classic and Heirloom Quilts published by It’s Sew Emma, and the coming-very-soon Treasury of Quilts from Martingale. Her previous books include: Gone to Texas, Quilts from a Pioneer Woman’s Journal, Lizzie’s Legacy and Just Treats, No Tricks with Kansas City Star. She also co-authored History Repeated, Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th Century Patchwork Divas. Betsy is also the co-founder of the 19th Century Patchwork Divas, a block exchange group dedicated 1800’s reproduction fabric.
Betsy’s passion for fabric, fabric study, and antique quilts has led her to design fabric with Moda – which isn’t far from Grand Prairie, Texas, where she lives with her husband Steve and a couple of cats.
- I Can Make ThatHi everyone!Welcome to I Can Make That blog hop!Just before Spring Market in Kansas City, Moda designers were asked to create an 18" block from our newest line that would be introduced for Spring Market 2019. My new line is the beautiful Sarah's Story. Sarah will deliver to shops in… Read more »
- It's My Week! Block 45 Twelve Crowns Moda BlockHeads2Can you believe we are getting closer to finishing BlockHeads 2 ???This is WEEK 45 and it is my week!What a variety of blocks and sizes! And what a good time I've had on this project. After you make my block there will be only 7 blocks to go!Here is… Read more »
- A Splendid winner.....Hello everyone! It's another Splendid Sampler 2 Thursday!While I'm still trying to catch up, this has been a very busy week (as most weeks are before Christmas) and, I finished only 2 blocks from last week. Jane's First Aid and Pat's Antique Memories. You will note in the photo, a few… Read more »
- It's my Week for Moda BlockHeads, Block 32 X QuartetHello everyone...Happy day before Thanksgiving!Happy Moda BlockHeads Wednesday!I'm so happy to finally sit down at the computer and write a nice long post! It's been way too long and I'm thankful for your patience.I saw on Lisa Bongean's post yesterday, she's been trying to catch up and said how we… Read more »
- Another Double the pleasure day with Lisa and Corey for blocks 25 and 26Happy Moda BlockHeads Wednesday! Today is the day for Lisa Bongean and Corey Yoder to dazzle us with their blocks! I'm thinking this may be our last doubleheader week. LOL. I've been a bit frazzled with deadlines and another teaching obligation and Market quilts in the making, but I made… Read more »
- Double Header day with BlockHeads Jo and Sherri for blocks 23 and 24It's going to be a quick post from me this week. I'm barely home from a wonderfully long wedding weekend. Such a beautiful couple and so good to spend time with family near and far. Then Poof! It's over and back to work for only a couple of days before… Read more »
- Another Double BlockHeads Day with Jan and LaurieAnother busy week has flown by! Time...where does it go?Today's blocks are brought to you by Jan Patek and Laurie Simpson. I love adding Jan's applique to this project and Laurie's block was just plain fun to make.Thank you Jan and Laurie for these 6" cuties!!!By the way, do you… Read more »
- Double the Fun day with BlockHeads Stacy and Me!Happy Wednesday! It's another double block day with today's duo, Stacy and Betsy.I pieced our blocks while away on a teaching trip.For a variety of reasons we drove, spending one night on the road each way to and from Nebraska. Since a friend drove I could work in the car. We… Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads Month 14 and 15, from Kansas Troubles and Me and My SisterSurprise!! Today we have 2 blocks to make. For several weeks, the original BlockHead and her invitee will be posting each other's blocks. Double the fun with 6" blocks!First up, Lynne Hagmeier has created a really cool block. I suggest you block out a good bit of time to get your… Read more »