Betsy Chutchian developed a passionate interest in fabric, quilts, sewing and history as a child.
After graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1980, Betsy received an antique quilt top made by her paternal great-grandmother and great-aunt. It was then that she taught herself to quilt.
Betsy began teaching in 1990 and she shares her passion for quiltmaking and reproducing 19th Century quilts through teaching, presentations and bed-turnings. She is the author of several books – her latest being Classic and Heirloom Quilts published by It’s Sew Emma, and the coming-very-soon Treasury of Quilts from Martingale. Her previous books include: Gone to Texas, Quilts from a Pioneer Woman’s Journal, Lizzie’s Legacy and Just Treats, No Tricks with Kansas City Star. She also co-authored History Repeated, Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th Century Patchwork Divas. Betsy is also the co-founder of the 19th Century Patchwork Divas, a block exchange group dedicated 1800’s reproduction fabric.
Betsy’s passion for fabric, fabric study, and antique quilts has led her to design fabric with Moda – which isn’t far from Grand Prairie, Texas, where she lives with her husband Steve and a couple of cats.
- Another Double the pleasure day with Lisa and Corey for blocks 25 and 26Happy Moda BlockHeads Wednesday! Today is the day for Lisa Bongean and Corey Yoder to dazzle us with their blocks! I'm thinking this may be our last doubleheader week. LOL. I've been a bit frazzled with deadlines and another teaching obligation and Market quilts in the making, but I made... Read more »
- Double Header day with BlockHeads Jo and Sherri for blocks 23 and 24It's going to be a quick post from me this week. I'm barely home from a wonderfully long wedding weekend. Such a beautiful couple and so good to spend time with family near and far. Then Poof! It's over and back to work for only a couple of days before... Read more »
- Another Double BlockHeads Day with Jan and LaurieAnother busy week has flown by! Time...where does it go?Today's blocks are brought to you by Jan Patek and Laurie Simpson. I love adding Jan's applique to this project and Laurie's block was just plain fun to make.Thank you Jan and Laurie for these 6" cuties!!!By the way, do you... Read more »
- Double the Fun day with BlockHeads Stacy and Me!Happy Wednesday! It's another double block day with today's duo, Stacy and Betsy.I pieced our blocks while away on a teaching trip.For a variety of reasons we drove, spending one night on the road each way to and from Nebraska. Since a friend drove I could work in the car. We... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads Month 14 and 15, from Kansas Troubles and Me and My SisterSurprise!! Today we have 2 blocks to make. For several weeks, the original BlockHead and her invitee will be posting each other's blocks. Double the fun with 6" blocks!First up, Lynne Hagmeier has created a really cool block. I suggest you block out a good bit of time to get your... Read more »
- Week 13 Patchwork Flower by Corey Yoder for Moda BlockHeadsHappy Wednesday! This week we have a very sweet block by Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts. Before we look at Corey's block, I want to share a new book by Moda All Stars, Merry Makers.Just as summer is ending, this holiday book will hit the shops in a couple of... Read more »
- BlockHeads week 12 Jace's Star by Lisa Bongean and moreHello and Happy Wednesday...another week has raced by and here we are in Week 12 with Lisa Bongean and her block called Jace's Star, a 6" block that is as cute as can be. Get your 'I'm ready for tiny piecing' mojo in gear. Starch your fabric before cutting and... Read more »
- Direction Block 11 by Sherri McConnell for Moda BlockHeadsHello Wednesday, Moda BlockHeads day! Today's block is by one of our new blockheads, Sherri McConnell of the mom and daughter design team Sherri and Chelsi. Hope you take time to visit Sherri's blog, A Quilting Life. Don't you love that name for a blog, or anything??Here is my version... Read more »
- Today...Block 10 Duck and Ducklings by Jo Morton for Moda BlockHeads 2Happy Wednesday everyone! It's Moda BlockHeads 2 day and today's designer is Jo Morton. Jo's block is a favorite of mine, Duck and Ducklings. Here is my version. This week's fabrics are all from Evelyn's Homestead. I chose a dark background this time.12" blockTo piece the Half Square Triangles, quickly and accurately,... Read more »
- Today's Block 9 for Moda BlockHeads2, is ''With a Plus" by Laurie SimpsonHappy Wednesday! Today's block is super easy. Thank you Laurie, I enjoyed the simplicity of the block. If you are behind in making blocks, this cute block will help you catch up quickly!Isn't it cute?Click here for the pattern on Laurie's blog.I tried several options, but this one was the... Read more »