Betsy Chutchian developed a passionate interest in fabric, quilts, sewing and history as a child.
After graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1980, Betsy received an antique quilt top made by her paternal great-grandmother and great-aunt. It was then that she taught herself to quilt.
Betsy began teaching in 1990 and she shares her passion for quiltmaking and reproducing 19th Century quilts through teaching, presentations and bed-turnings. She is the author of several books – her latest being Classic and Heirloom Quilts published by It’s Sew Emma, and the coming-very-soon Treasury of Quilts from Martingale. Her previous books include: Gone to Texas, Quilts from a Pioneer Woman’s Journal, Lizzie’s Legacy and Just Treats, No Tricks with Kansas City Star. She also co-authored History Repeated, Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th Century Patchwork Divas. Betsy is also the co-founder of the 19th Century Patchwork Divas, a block exchange group dedicated 1800’s reproduction fabric.
Betsy’s passion for fabric, fabric study, and antique quilts has led her to design fabric with Moda – which isn’t far from Grand Prairie, Texas, where she lives with her husband Steve and a couple of cats.
- BlockHeads block #3Welcome to Moda BlockHeads BOW Week 3!I think we are all having a great time making and posting our BlockHeads blocks of the week. If you haven't joined the Facebook group, Moda Blockheads, you are missing the photos from the group members. In the short time it has been up,... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads Block 2 Aunt DinahOur Moda Block Heads Block of the Week has gotten off to a fantastic start! Lynne, Jo, Jan, Lisa, Carrie and I, ALL thank you!!!It is my pleasure to bring you Block 2 Aunt Dinah. For this block, I chose 5 prints for a scrappy look from Hope's Journey and... Read more »
- Week 1 Moda Block Heads Block of the WeekHere we go...Block 1 Whirlygig Go to Lynne Hagmeier's blog for the free pattern http://kansastroublesquilters-lynne.blogspot.com/ No need to sign up!Just visit us each week for the next pattern. Jo, Lynne, Jan, Lisa and Carrie. All of our links are below so visit all our social media listings. A new Facebook group has just been... Read more »
- One Week from Today UPDATE and MOREAnd sew it will begin! one week from today, March 8.Each Wednesday, one of us, Lynne, Betsy, Jan, Jo, Lisa, and Carrie, will post a block on our blogs. Print the pattern and get to sewing! Each of us will be making the blocks, sewing right along with you....until some... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads Bow UpdateHi everyone!I've been cutting and packing bundles for Block Heads BOW as fast as I can. I have a very long waiting list and am cautiously keeping my fingers crossed that most on the list will receive a bundle. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your support and patience. The... Read more »
- Oh to be a Moda Block Head....Hello everyone! Hope you all had a fabulous holiday season! Wasn't Christmas just yesterday???I've been busy sewing and writing patterns and January absolutely flew by faster than any month I can remember.A while back, I hinted to be watching for new things happening in my crazy busy world. First, if... Read more »
- Looking for the winner....What amazing comments you all left on the Hope's journey post! I love reading and re reading the comments. What a hard decision to select a winner! But I'm concerned that so many of you comment using a do not reply address. When this happens, I can't find you! That... Read more »
- Hope's JourneyI've been thinking a lot lately about women and our journey through history. The campaign and election have brought women's' interests to mind, but I've been thinking about "our" interests for far longer. So with the arrival of my newest line Hope's Journey in shops in the last couple of... Read more »
- Notes from Fall Quilt Market 2016I'm shocked how long it has been since posting! So much to do, all the time but social media has become a very important aspect of designing fabrics, quilts, and publishing. So I need to make you a priority! I post faster and definitely more often on Instagram and Facebook.... Read more »