Betsy Chutchian developed a passionate interest in fabric, quilts, sewing and history as a child.
After graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1980, Betsy received an antique quilt top made by her paternal great-grandmother and great-aunt. It was then that she taught herself to quilt.
Betsy began teaching in 1990 and she shares her passion for quiltmaking and reproducing 19th Century quilts through teaching, presentations and bed-turnings. She is the author of several books – her latest being Classic and Heirloom Quilts published by It’s Sew Emma, and the coming-very-soon Treasury of Quilts from Martingale. Her previous books include: Gone to Texas, Quilts from a Pioneer Woman’s Journal, Lizzie’s Legacy and Just Treats, No Tricks with Kansas City Star. She also co-authored History Repeated, Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th Century Patchwork Divas. Betsy is also the co-founder of the 19th Century Patchwork Divas, a block exchange group dedicated 1800’s reproduction fabric.
Betsy’s passion for fabric, fabric study, and antique quilts has led her to design fabric with Moda – which isn’t far from Grand Prairie, Texas, where she lives with her husband Steve and a couple of cats.
- Week 12 Moda BlockHeads Block 12...PuzzledWow, fast week at Quilt Market! Home Sunday night, pick up granddaughter Monday and Tuesday morning at 10:10 we have a new grandson! Crazy Mimi here, posting just before midnight for BlockHead Wednesday.I'm SO glad I made the blocks before Market. but I do have to say this will be... Read more »
- Week 11 Moda Blockheads Lisa's Star by Lisa BongeanThis week is a short one for me as I'm writing this post early, while frantically preparing it to go to Market! I made Lisa's block quickly and love it. And I made the Mini, also cute as can be. ;-)If you have followed along on Instagram or Facebook, more... Read more »
- And my favorite color is.....What a great time I have had reading your thought process to figure out my likes and dislikes! Thank you, thank you ALL for taking the time to visit my blog and comment.It seems to me that blogging is a give and take...and so often, and until BlockHeads, not that... Read more »
- Week 10, Block 10 by Jan Patek Basket and FlowerHello fellow BlockHeads! Ready for block 10, it's a sweet applique designed by Jan Patek.Before we get to Jan's block, or my mini block, let's talk color! Yes, that is the question of the week... Do I have a favorite color? If you looked in my stash, opened all the doors... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week 9Ohio Star Variation by Jo Morton is our 9th block for Moda BlockHeads block of the week. You will want to go to Jo's blog, link below, for the instructions. My block and my Mini Penny blocks are below.Time has once again flown by since last Wednesday. I blinked and missed... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads Block 8 Basket of TrianglesHello everyone! Another week, another block! and this week is MY week. I'm so happy to bring you... Basket of TrianglesPattern link is below.For this block, I chose a background from Lizzie's Legacy, a red print from Hope's Journey and the brown and gold prints are from Rachel Remembered which is... Read more »
- Penny Basket Week 7 Moda BlockHeadsTime for another block! The week absolutely flew by. Easter holiday even surprised me...I just was not ready.You may be reading this while I'm at Jury Duty! Wish me luck and pray I don't get chosen. Is there ever a GOOD time for Jury Duty??? OH MY! Book deadlines and... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads Week 6 SunflowerHere we go... Week 6, designed for you by Carrie Nelson...a sweet and fun to sew Sunflower block.Before I show my blocks and talk blockheads, did you know Carol Staehle and I were on American Patchwork and Quilting's podcast with Pat Sloan yesterday? We were dishing DIVAS! lol Talking with... Read more »
- Week 5 Moda BlockHeads BOWI cannot believe it. The week flew by and here we are for Block 5, designed by Lisa Bongean. It's fabulous, but I want to prepare you for tiny pieces and lots of them. Starch! Do you hear me? Starch! LOL. Below is my version of this week's block. Keep reading for... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads WEEK 4Week 4 is a darling applique block by Jan Patek. Click on Jan's name to be directed to her blog for this week's pattern.What a nice change to do a little applique! Thank you Jan! I love it!Hand appliqued, and I loved the change of pace...slow down and stitch!!! I... Read more »