Blockheads ~ Block 48

Block 48.  It seems like we just started but alas, the Honeymoon is ending.

Block 48.  Honeymoon.

March 8 feels like a week or so ago… or at least last month.  It’s always a surprise how quickly a year passes.  But today is exciting – it’s Blockheads Share Your Setting Day!

The Fig Tree Tree & Co. Honeymoon block is a combination of Farmhouse and Chestnut Street, with a background from Minick & Simpson’s Ann’s Arbor.  (And oops… so I might have substituted a half-triangle square for those corner squares.)

This is Tammy’s block – the fabrics are from Rachel Remembered by Betsy Chutchian andWild Orchid by Blackbird Designs.

CLICK HERE for the link to Block 48 – Honeymoon

For the blue Reproduction block, the prints are from Jan Patek and Snowberry by 3 Sisters.

Question of the Week ~ Since we’re sharing settings… ‘fess up.  Is your quilt finished?  Or do you just have blocks and a plan?

Blocks and a plan!

Fifty-six Blockheads blocks – I made two of some of my favorites, and I seem to be missing two of the blocks I made.

For the setting I have planned, I will need sixty-four blocks.

My finished quilt will measure 78″ x 78″.  It also needs 400 flying geese that finish at 1-1/2″ x 3″.

I have 208 geese made.  The remaining parts are cut and I’ve started piecing them.  Figgy?  Don’t ask.  I’m not quite as far along with that one, I need twelve more blocks and 200 more flying geese.

Here are the details of my setting – Carrie’s Blockhead Setting Layout & Cutting.

I will share some progress pictures in the coming weeks… we’re working on “something” and if it all comes together, there will be news and details to share soon.  Fingers crossed.

Just in case you missed it – CLICK HERE for the link to Block 48 – Honeymoon

Don’t forget that there is a Blockheads Archive with links to all of the published blocks and blog posts.

That’s it for today, January 31.  Be sure to visit Lisa, Lynne, Betsy, Jo and Jan to see their blocks and and settings!

As always, be sure to take a peek at all the beautiful blocks being posted to #modablockheads on Instagram and Facebook.  Finished quilt tops are also starting to pop up!

If you’re not already a member, you can still join the Moda Blockheads Facebook group.  It’s a busy group with lots of tips, suggestions and support.

Happy Blockhead Wednesday!

(We’ll be back… the Honeymoon might be ending but this might also be a beginning of sorts.)

Jump to Leave us a Comment

15 comments on “Blockheads ~ Block 48

1. Can I please just copy yours? Because it’s Perfect!!

2. Mandy says:

Beautiful! Thank you for running such a fantastic (FREE!!) block of the month program! Future suggestion (if you are taking them)…maybe a larger block (10×10 or 12×12) and running it bi-weekly. If I had two weeks to piece a larger block, I “might” actually stay on schedule. Regardless, this was a pleasure and I hope to enjoy more BOM from you!

3. WesternNYLady says:

Thanks for sharing all your time & Talents. I’ve really enjoyed being along for the ride. I still hope to make a scrappy version of my own (didn’t discover this project at week one). Already looking forward to future projects in the hopes you all will work together again. Can hardly wait to see all the finished quilts. Thanks again.

4. pattypiecer says:

Thank you and all the designers and MODA for a fantastic opportunity for us! I loved it.

5. paulette says:

love the hat on your grandson – he is so cute – You are proud I am sure
    enjoying all the blocks but the patterns are stacking up as I got sidetracked several weeks ago with the holiday season & other projects taking priority. I will finish them as soon as I can (whatever that means!)

6. Marianne says:

I’d like to add my thank you, too! It was a great sew along but I concur with Mandy’s suggestions. And I want some of what Paulette’s drinking!

Thank you so much for this fun and great sew-along! I sttill need to amke some blocks but at least have a plan and I have hope I’ll finish my quilt top sometimes this spring.

8. Patricia A. Adams says:

What a super wonderful ride for the last 48 weeks…..My top is pieced with a central focus panel with all the hand app’s done on point….It has been wonderful Wednesday’s and I look forward to the next challenge. Where do I send a photo? Thanx ladies, Patti Adams

9. I love your fabrics because they look so “old timey” as us older people would say.

10. Jen B says:

Your blocks look great, but you have one of the red and green HSTs turned round.

Hi Jen – That’s why the Fig Tree block is at the top! I wasn’t “fixing” it – I like the “design choice”. 🙂

11. Becky Gammons says:

What oversize method are you using to make your flying geese? I could not tell from the pics. I much prefer to piece large and cut to size.

There are several – Bloc-Loc Flying Geese Rulers, the Studio 180 Wing Clipper, and Open Gate Quilts’ Fit to be Geese. I’ve used all three and they work about the same way – both squares used to make the geese are cut larger than the “old fashioned method” requires. The squares are cut into triangles and pieced “the old-fashioned way”. Then they are trimmed to size. In addition to the finished pieces being square and accurate, I like that these methods all let me piece scrappy geese – four prints, four backgrounds and I can make sixteen combinations. 🙂

12. Kelsie says:

Thank you for the block, Ms Carrie. You definitely taught me about fabric or color placement and gave me a nudge to do partial seams.I loved this block, sad that it’s the last. Now I need a setting and border. I love yours- might have to borrow that idea.

13. Sandy says:

Love Carrie’s quilt setting & finish instructions & plan to use in my final quilt. Did I miss or are there additional settings/instructions available for future use? Thank you.