Blockheads ~ Block 43

It’s official.  We’re on the homestretch now… for 2017 and for the Blockheads.

Here’s hoping you had a lovely December with family, friends… and maybe a little time to yourself to rest, relax and reflect.  It is that time of year… winter.  I’ve always thought it was more the nature of the season than the dates on the calendar.  But that’s just me.

This week’s block is Any Direction – Every Direction? – by Lynne Hagmeier.

For the blue Reproduction block, the light blue and background are from Snowberry by 3 Sisters,  the pale gold is Rue Indienne by French General and the red print is from I don’t remember.

CLICK HERE for the link to Lynne’s blog and Block 43 – Any Direction.

While I liked how my first block turned out, I also thought I might be able to do a little better.  I’ll let you decide…

This version of the block flipped the light-dark placement of the outer flying geese units.  The background is the same Snowberry, the red print is Minick & Simpson’s Polka Dots & Paisleys, the yellow is from Rachel Remembered by Betsy Chutchian and the blue is from I don’t remember which collection.  (That seems to be a theme today… especially now that I’m down to some scraps of fabric with no selvage.)

For the Figgy block… it’s the holidays and they’ll have to wait until I get home.

So last week’s question that I’ll answer this week because I answered this week’s question last week.  Turnstiles, Directions… ’nuff said, right?

Question of the Week ~ My perfect holiday season is… e.g., big and boisterous, quiet and peaceful?  I will spend this coming week doing… e.g., baking, shopping, getting ready for a full house?

I have always loved quiet holidays, it’s how we introverts roll.  A big, boisterous crowd of family, friends and guests is lovely – and I do enjoy it – but I’m often the first to find a quiet corner somewhere.  I love the front porch at my brother’s house – comfortable chairs, Mardi Gras-colored lights on the overhang and the quiet countryside.  Now if only he had a fire pit or space-heater out there.  (It’s a bit chilly here in Texas this week.)

I did some baking – Mark requested the Pioneer Woman’s Bacon Crackers – some shopping, thought it seemed like it was primarily for groceries, and I packed the car for the drive to my brother’s house.  With a stop in West at the Czech Stop for Kolaches.

Just in case you missed it – CLICK HERE for the link to Lynne’s blog and Block 43 – Any Direction.

Don’t forget that there is a Blockheads Archive with links to all of the published blocks and blog posts.

That’s it for today, December 27.  Be sure to visit Lisa, Betsy, Jo and Jan to see their blocks and what other good things they might have made:

And don’t miss the blocks being posted to #modablockheads on Instagram and Facebook.  The colors, styles of fabric and block variations are wonderful.

If you’re not already a member, you can still join the Moda Blockheads Facebook group.  It’s a busy group with lots of tips, suggestions and support.

Happy Blockhead Wednesday!

Jump to Leave us a Comment

13 comments on “Blockheads ~ Block 43

1. Glenna D. says:

I agree with you, your first block is very pretty but the second is even more so. I am also sympathizing with your winter weather as I am near Austin and it is cold here, too, for Texas. And I nodded my head in agreement about stopping in West for kolaches, so many of us have our cars on automatic for that yummy stop! Have a Happy New Year!

2. Cheryl says:

For some reason it is not coming out. Are the measurements correct? 2 1/2 inch blocks are not fitting to the 3 1/2 flying geese. ???????????

• Peggy A Waller says:

I agree something is wrong. It is too big, then a change I added for those stupid flying geese worked better but, WRONG WRONG

Thank you – there is an error in the cutting. The rectangles should be cut at 1-1/2″ x 2-1/2″ and the squares cut at 1-1/2″ x 1-1/2″.

The PDF has been corrected but it might not get uploaded to the website right away – the holidays and all that. 🙂

Beautiful block!

4. Ramona Chester says:

I like the second block best – seems more traditional and seems to pop a bit more. I like it quiet with some nice Christmas songs playing in the background. Happy New Year to all you lovely Blockhead Ladies.

5. Vicky says:

I long for a poppyseed kolache from the Czech Stop!

6. Susan says:

Like the second block more – both are nice but the second one has that “pop” – Happy New Year Carrie!

7. Christine R. says:

Yes its cold. It is -9 degrees this morning with a 13mph wind making the wind chills -20 to -30 degrees here in Wisconsin. I’m hibernating in my sewing room today. Love the blockheads blocks. I’ve learned so much this past year. Thank you and your fellow designers for your commitment and expertise.

8. Cathy C says:

Happy New Year to everyone. Carrie, I love your second block with the reversed colors of the flying geese. And thank you for the quick response to the block correction.

9. Kelsie says:

I loved this block. As it’s Lynn’s last block, I wanted to leave her a special thank you. I’d only been quilting 5 months when the Blockheads started. I wasn’t sure I could do them (I had a 6″ 9-patch under my belt, haha) but it was your very first block that got me started. As simple as it may be, I was excited to piece with a rectangle. That block took me about 5 hours from start to finish. Thank you so much!

10. Kelsie says:

I totally forgot to say that what I learned from Ms. Lynn while doing her blocks is that there’s beauty in simplicity. Simple or plain blocks really showcase the fabric and it takes a lot of skill to pull off “simple.” Many thanks.