Christmas Quilts…

Red and green.  Red and white.  Christmas-theme fabric.

ct-figgy-christmas-quilts

This stack of Christmas quilts belongs to Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Co.

I recently did a poll of my quilter friends and it was interesting to learn that while all of us have made quilts to give as Christmas presents, only a few of us have made quilts for ourselves to use at Christmas.  For the Moda designers, many only have Christmas quilts if they’ve done a Christmas or Holiday collection.

ct-tole-christmas

Excuse me for inserting a gratuitous seasonal picture.  It’s that time of year – and we’ve got a whole lot of Christmas and holiday going on in the office now.  It’s one of the “time-warp” things about working at Moda, there is Christmas fabric all over the place… except it’s the fabric that will ship next April, May and June, the Holiday 2017 collections.

But I digress… Christmas quilts.  Have you made any that you pull out just for the holidays as part of your decor?

I have a few but – go figure – no pictures.  So I’m going to share some of the quilts the designers have made either for their collections, or just because.

This is Anne Sutton’s Sugar Plum Lane quilt – The Christmas Mouse.

ct-sugar-plum-christmas-bhd-2117-the-christmas-mouse-bom-10-mos-58x66

Over the years, Anne – Bunny Hill Designs – has designed many beautiful Christmas quilts, many of them Blocks of the Month that combine piecing, appliqué and embroidery.  I wanted to share the Mistletoe Lane Quilt made with the Mistletoe Lane collection but the picture was a wee bit small.  While I love the Mistletoe Lane quilt, this picture is much better.

ct-snowman-gatherings-ii-pri-493-snow-dance-60x75

Snow Dance by Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings – the collection is Snowman Gatherings II.  While this isn’t red and green – or even red and white – this quilt does make me think of the holidays.  Lisa has made both Christmas and “winter-snowmen” quilts – and shhh… there might be more coming next year.  Just saying…

Joyeux NoelPomme De Pin – by Kaari Meng for French General.

ct-joyeux-noel-fg-jn03-pomme-de-pin-60x60

I love that this quilt feels very Christmas and very French.  Kaari has done several Christmas collections so she has a lot of wonderful Christmas quilts… and not one picture of a big stack of them!

(Just so you know… it’s fun writing this post while listening to classic Christmas music… though I’m not sure Dion’s Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree is “classic” to most folks.)

This is Sugar Plums from the Winter Wonderful book by Sherri Falls and It’s Sew Emma.

ct-jingle-ise-908-sugar-plums-66

It might just be me but those red pinwheels make me think of candy canes!  The fabric is Jingle by Kate Spain.

ct-jingle-ks-1404-jingle-64-5x81

The binding on this Jingle quilt definitely makes me think of candy canes! This is Kate’s design – Jingle.  I’ve made a couple quilts with Kate’s collections – including this one! – but I’m a little behind in the “take pictures” department.

This is one of my favorites – Lake Effect by Laurie Simpson.

ct-snowfall-ms-1611-lake-effect-66-5x73

Lake Effect is made with Minick & Simpson’s “coming in April” collection, Snowfall.  It’s made with English Paper Piecing and appliqué, and both a set of the templates and a package of the required papers will be available.  You don’t need both – you can use one or the other.  As for Laurie’s quilt, I love the touches of red, I think they make this quilt sparkle.

The Tree Farm has a bit more red but it still sparkles…

ct-hollys-tree-farm-sw-p225-the-tree-farm-56x82

This Sweetwater quilt was made with Holly’s Tree Farm – their wonderful 2015 Christmas collection.  This quilt would be terrific made with The Cookie Exchange or the “next one”… coming in 2017.  (You are keeping this all a secret, right?) (Santa isn’t the only one keeping a list…)

Insert another pretty themed picture…

ct-hollys-tree-farm

Never mind that tree… I’m going to need that truck to haul all these quilts home!

Merry Christmas Darling by Bonnie Olaveson of Bonnie & Camille is my favorite kind of holiday quilt – the fabric isn’t Christmas-themed but the color scheme makes it perfect for the season.  And any time of year.

ct-hello-darling-cw-983-merry-christmas-darling-66x80-fq-friendly

The fabrics are from Bonnie’s Hello Darling collection, but the reds and greens from the upcoming Bonnie & Camille Basics will work perfectly.  As will the awesome reds and greens from Handmade.  And Little Ruby.  And Vintage Picnic.  They all mix nicely…

You could even add some black… like Camille Roskelley – the other half of Bonnie & Camille – did for her Christmas Colorway quilt.  (This picture is from Camille’s Instagram.)

ct-thimbleblossoms-colorway-christmas

Isn’t this yummy?  All the fabrics are Bonnie & Camille except the backing – don’t ask, Camille got it a few years ago at a “big box store”.  (And it’s been akin to Quilter’s Hunger Games there ever since with folks looking for even a few inches of it.)

And finally back to the Figgy-one and her Christmas quilts.  This is All Wrapped Up – Christmas style.

ct-fig-tree-all-wrapped-up

While the pattern was originally done for – and with – Fig Tree’s new Coney Island collection, Joanna is known for mixing her Reds, Greens and Ivory prints to make Christmas quilts.

She’s even done a few Christmas Block of the Months – and yes, she has finished them.  I just liked this picture – shamelessly borrowed from her Instagram.

ct-figgy-bom

So are you inspired to make a Christmas quilt for 2017?  One that’s just for you?

I will be doing that – it’s on my “to do” list for next year.

Happy Friday!

24 comments on “Christmas Quilts…

1. Susan says:

I always LOVE your posts – thank you. These are all spectacular quilts! Happy Holidays to all!

2. Marianne says:

Such yummy pictures! I’ve made two Christmas quilts, two lap-sized, also have a top made you’ve encouraged me to finish.

3. Jacque says:

I bring out 4 or 5 full size quilts and a few wall hangings. I enjoy making Christmas quilts, enjoy using Christmas quilts in my decorating, enjoy sleeping under a Christmas quilt and enjoy giving them as gifts.

4. Sharon Ernst says:

Well, this was ALL eye candy!! I have a TON of Christmas quilts! I love every one of them! But this gave me ideas for more!
    You do such wonderful posts! Thank you & Merry Christmas!!

5. Tracey H says:

Well that was a luscious post!! Thanks for sharing, Carrie.

6. Julie Hardgrave says:

Since red and green are my favorite color combination, I have a lot of quilts in those colors! Only two are Christmas fabric though. I got them all out last weekend! Love the blog, Carrie!

7. I’m still quilting the Christmas quilt (for me) I started about four years ago. I’ve made four Christmas/winter cushions in the last couple of months (a friend and I did a very informal QAL on instagram, see #Christmascushionalong for our progess and finishes) and am about to start quilting a table runner made with the leftovers. Good luck with your Christmas quilt next year, maybe start in January?!

8. Lizzie says:

I love red and green quilts so I have a few non christmas and also some christmas quilts I try to put on all the beds during the holiday season! Fun!!!

9. Karen Seitz says:

I have a Pomme de Pin kit on hand that just jumped higher on my list to complete!

10. Pris Phillips says:

I have a stash of Christmas fabrics to make a quilt for me — just need to get going on it!! Also have 2 French General layer cakes (one is Joyeux Noel) and I’ve been itching to sew them up into a simple king sz quilt for our bed! I have an adorable Snowman panel and coordinating fabrics to make a quilt for my daughter. Hmm maybe Christmas quilts for all of the girls next year!! If I start now, I might get it done!! Love your posts Carrie!! Sew inspiring!! Love the eye candy!!

I love all the christmas quilts in this post but the one on top of my list is Camille’s new pattern ‘Handmade with Love’. And one quilt I deisnged myself for the #30daysofquiltdesign challenge. I even have the perfect fabrics for it (Sweetwater’s ‘The Cokkie Exchange’) and hopefully next year I have some quilt for christmas.

12. Susan J. says:

I too make many quilts to give as gifts and not yet one for me. I do have it on my list for 2017 and hope to stick to that resolution! Love the quilts, they are all beautiful. Thanks for this post, Carrie – it is iinspiring.

13. Chris Cole says:

I have made a dozen Christmas quilts that I just pull out at Christmas time. I love this season!

14. Julie Liedahl says:

I can’t get enough Christmas colored quilts. My house is decorated in red & green (but not Christmas printed fabric) all year long and I love it. Thank you to Joanna Figueroa from Fig Tree Quilts to love red and green also, she really does make beautiful quilts!

15. Donna Irmis says:

What a fun post with photos that make me want to cut and sew. But first I must finish some gifts for this Christmas!

16. Sometime in the far distant future I will have a Christmas quilt for just us. Right now I have one mini quilt I have kept for us. All the other quilts I have made have been gifts. After Christmas, I will return to quilting my Moda Modern Blocks that I am keeping. I almost feel guilty about this. Ridiculous.

17. Margaret Lippert says:

I have an applique snowman one that I made, its fun to have out during the winter, since I have a flannel back of snowflakes on it. I also made my husband a Dr Suess Grinch one of flannel, which he has gotten out this year and is actually using. I love Christmas quilts, I even have a tree skirt with quilted blocks on it. I have promised myself to make similar tree skirts for my kids, hopefully by next Christmas.

18. quiltingholliday says:

Yes! Carrie you have inspired me to make my very own Christmas quilt 2017! Thank you so much for the wonderful quilt show of Christmas Quilts today!!

19. Barbara Esposito says:

My local quilt shop is offering the Sugar Plumb Lane quilt as a quilt along. I was hesitant to join but oh you have inspired me! OK Christi’s Quilting Boutique – sign me up!! thank you for the beautiful quilts to get me in the Christmas mood!

20. Sandra B says:

Love all these Christmas quilts! My favorite is Joyeux Noel….
    I have a Christmas quilt in the works….for a couple of years in the works! I work on it almost non-stop for a while, then it gets put away for a while…right now, it is in the non-stop mode…but it won’t be finished for this Christmas….it is a red work quilt, “Twas the Night Before Christmas’, from Crabapple Hill….the embroidery work is probably three quarters finished…then there is a pieced center, and borders to add…I hope to have it completely finished by this time next year…Wish me luck!!!
    And, as an aside, relative to Christmas quilts, every year in early December I read Jennifer Chiavarrini’s book, “The Christmas Quilt”….I love this book, and I know I will never tire of reading it over and over again…
    Thanks so much for sharing all these beautiful quilts!!

21. Pamela J. Dudgeon says:

love my Christmas quilts.
    A few years ago Moda put out a fabric line for Christmas that included grunge fabrics. I saw it and just had to make a quilt from it…but i couldn’t stop at just one quilt, so i made a second quilt in a different pattern, and then a third one in yet another pattern!
    Can I say that i was hooked on grunge?? LOL.

anyway, two of those quilts have since been gifted to some very special people, and I have kept the third one for myself as a reminder of a wonderfull creative time in my life when everything came together at Christmas.

22. JanetF says:

Oh oh oh, this post made me smile! I’m thrilled to say I’ve made 2 of these, have ordered The Christmas Mouse and have saved the pics of 2 more. Plus Lake Effect is calling my name and I’m trying to figure out how to do it without the EPP (or it will have to wait until after I retire!).

Thanks!!

23. pamelaquilts says:

I have the kit for Joyeux Noel – Pomme de Pin – I really should get it made! So pretty!

24. Bonnie Lopez says:

I have Moda April Cornell fabric called Christmas Presence and a couple star blocks made and do not have the pattern. Was there a pattern on your site when this fabric was released? If so, I could sure use help in getting the pattern. Thank You. Bonnie