Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- Moda Blockheads…block 38Happy Wednesday! This block is posting on the Eve of Thanksgiving…I know that these blocks are being made world wide and some of you do not technically celebrate our American holiday…but I think we all can celebrate a day of “Thanksgiving” for what we all have been given….. Todays block is... Read more »
- Triangle Gatherings…83Wow…we are almost there…just a few more left…how mad would you be if we came up with a few more blocks…like 94???lol…sorry can’t help it…but you can quit at 90!!!Click here to print Block 83 I forg0t to post about “little man” and his Mama and Daddy coming to make an... Read more »
- Whooo hoo…Thank you!!!Thank you all for an awesome Primitive Christmas Event!!! We’ve had lots of ups and downs….site going down…lots of fun…we have an issue with some of our mugs…so sad…but we have lots of orders already shipped out and you will start to get them fast!!! We all get better and... Read more »
- Are you ready for our Annual Primitive Christmas Event!!!Well I hope you are all as excited as we are tired!!! lol…no really we are excited too…to see all of the work we have done all staged up and ready for you all…I wish you all could come through our doors and see how beautiful the shop is…I will... Read more »
- Moda Blockhead Block 37I absolutely LOVE this block….it is from Lynne from KT Quilters….Go HERE for the pattern. Here is my version of Lynne’s block… Today the question is…– Do you remember your first Quilt Market as an Exhibitor? When was it? Was it exciting? Terrifying? Both? My first quilt Market…Kansas City 2000….It was both terrifying... Read more »
- the easiest make & take ornie ever…I know you have loved our “stackable” ornies that we designed the last two years, the TREE and then the SNOWMAN but this year’s I think is the easiest and so super cool….Our stackable candy cane is 6″ which is made from 1″ pre-cut circles…but then what happens if we made... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads…Block 36We are fresh home from Quilt Market/Festival…tired…very tired…but we have a Primitive Christmas coming next week which is Primitive Gatherings biggest event of the year in our Wisconsin and California quilt shops…We give away 3 patterns along with pincushion kit to each of our customers who places an order November 16-18... Read more »