Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- Moon Garden Mystery Stitch-A- Long!!!It has been awhile since I have launched a wool appliqué stitch-a-long…I am sure excited to be doing so this year…I know we have done a lot of pieced Stitch-A-Longs but now it’s time to try a wool one, if you have never done wool appliqué before…now is the time... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads…Block 48Week 48…the last (but certainly not least) block is from Carrie Nelson…called Harmony! Go to the Moda blog for the pattern. Question of the week… – Since we’re sharing settings… ‘fess up. Is your quilt finished? Or do you just have blocks and a plan? Well…so glad you asked…because YES…mine is... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads…Block 47Today’s block…second to the last…I know…all good things must come to an end…this is my last block…it is called Starry Nine Patch and can be printed by clicking here:_Starry9Patch I was able to “fussy cut” a small thread spool in my center square…This fabric is from my Needle & Thread Gatherings... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Block 46-alternative…Three blocks left to go!!! This week’s block is from Jan Patek-click HERE to go to her blog…and as you know Jan is famous for her awesome appliqué….but I wanted a pieced quilt so here again is your alternative block…The directions for the alternative block are located here Block Head #46 Here is... Read more »
- Moda Blockhead….Block 45This week’s block is from Jo Mortons….I love this block too!!! Click here to go to Jo’s blog to see her blocks as well as the other designers… Question of the week… January 10 – Do you have any exciting plans or adventures on your calendar for 2018? Well…funny you should ask…March 2018... Read more »