Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- Pine Island…NC Beach house…here we come, again!!!!6 Days in this BEAUTY!!!! Trust me most of will never stay in anything like this… We’re going back!!!! This is actually the first house we stayed at a couple of years back…. it was in early March=no swimming….but we are going to heat the pool and… Read more »
- Stitcher’s Gatherings…CA & WII spent a lovely day last Thursday with the CA girls…Such a lovely bunch of ladies…It is fun when you get to see them time after time and get to know them…and seeing their progress is very gratifying…. Barbara….I helped her with her border idea for setting her blocks…she pulled… Read more »
- Another Awesome Book!!!Here it is…another awesome Moda designer compilation book! 16 Quilt projects in this baby…Compiled by our leader Lissa Alexander. The book is made up of quilts using Cake Mix papers…kind of like my triangle papers but these may have some squares and such…not just Half Square Triangles…So this means that… Read more »
- Wooly Block Adventure 2019-Celebrations…Our free pattern has been removed, our pattern was available October 5 & 6th….it is now available to purchase along with our kit in this post… Thank you to all who have ordered yours! We appreciate your support of our efforts and are truly thankful to be in business and still… Read more »
- Did you see this? Word- transfer tutorialJust want to do a quick post and tutorial on this adorable quilt…and how to transfer a word you wish to stitch on to a dark fabric…and any of the underlined content here are links to bring you on where you can find out more info and prices… On the… Read more »
- 2019 Mug! Did you see this? Please read the details…This year we are offering our Christmas Mug as a Pre-Order, this ensures that we will be able to have enough mugs for everyone who orders. This also ensures that we are not sitting on large quantities of mugs from previous years. THIS MUST BE THE ONLY ITEM IN YOUR… Read more »
- Wooly Block Adventure 2019-Celebrations…This year’s theme…Celebrations… I love summer, and my country…can’t think of anything “cool-er”than being an American Quilt Designer and here is our Wooly Block for 2019! Close-up…If you need help with your stitching click the link to order my book…Wool Needle & Thread The Go-To Guide for Wool Stitchery. It… Read more »
- Must- have blocks…Moda Schoolhouse Blog Hop- Free 18″ Block patterns.It’s Moda Blog Hop time!!! Everybody loves it! Have you been collecting 18″ blocks?…if not go to the links below to get them! Our block is from our Spring Market lines of fabric…Our fabric line was called Urban Farmhouse Gatherings….I will be blogging lots about it soon…it’s should be arriving… Read more »
- 2019 Schedule…Workshop & ShowsHey Everyone…I get lots of comments from people wondering how they can sign up to go to a retreat, workshop or event I am holding/attending. So here are the remaining dates for 2019. October 3 California Stitcher’s Gatherings- open sewing, which means bring your project and I will help you…and… Read more »
- There is something SWEET at Primitive Gatherings…I am so in LOVE with these new panels from Sweetwater’s, Printworks line! Just look how cool these panels look in my outdoor living porch….Panel Size: 54″ x 65″ This panel is printed on 100% Cotton Canvas. For a super easy quilt, just add backing and batting, quilt as desired… Read more »