Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- Moon Garden Block 5Yay!!! I’m home again!!! Thanks for waiting for Block 5…I know we said we would put them out around the 15th so I guess we are not too late…I love this block…so fun to stitch…Pattern can be downloaded HERE Moon Garden Block 5 blog Here is a closeup of the fly stitch…you... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads 2- Block 11I know…I did not post block 10 yet! (because i did not stitch it yet!)…I had way too many deadlines that week: turned into Moda a bunch of fabric lines-like 5, Warehouse sale was happening, had to write that new lecture, quiltsproject/fabric requirement for 9 quilts- for my next fabric... Read more »
- Flying Geese…I am near Huntington Beach teaching workshops yesterday and today! Teaching how to use a “redneck” overlay to postition their wools on the background.. def…A crude outline of the project on a plasitc bag, sheet protector ect…to fast and easy positioning of the appliques so they are close enough…do not... Read more »
- Nothing like being home…I am happily spending time at home….Nick, Jake, Lauren, Jace and I took the boat out today for lunch…Nicks first adventure in the boat after his surgery….Yay! The garden is producing…and the flowers are blooming…I love picking something from the garden and then making something from it right away… Jalapeno & banana... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads 2-Blocks 8 & 9I am playing catch up today in a couple of ways… Let’s get the business part done first…Block 8– Pineapple from Jan Patek…click HERE to visit her blog for her pattern…Jan is known for her hand applique, which I love…but I decided to go with a pieced pineapple that I seen in... Read more »
- Moon Garden Block 4 -PatternI know some of you have been waiting for this!!! Block 4 is linked below and this weekend the video on the Drizzle Stitch knots and Alternating Chain Stitch will be uploaded to the Facebook group…Nick is ready to be my camera man and he is super excited for me... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads Block 6 & 7Thank you all for the much needed prayers for Nick and I during this difficult time…It’s funny but with his first surgery we were scared to death and asked for lots of prayers as we needed all the help we could get…then with the second surgery we decided not to... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads 2…Block 5Hey Everyone…this week’s block is from Vanessa fromLella Boutique. Click that link to go to her account for the info on this week’s pattern. Vanessa’ is one of the prettiest “redheads” I know….She could be Jamie’s Daughter “Brianna” in the Oulander books…just my opinion…lol. This was a huge block…and mine came out... Read more »
- St. George Utah Retreat!!!Janet (mastermind of those “crazy” awesome patterns/books -you probably have one or several of her Buggy Barn Crazy books) is going to teach at my friend Joyce’s Retreat in Southern Utah…here is the flyer…You might need a late Summer get-away!!! This was so much fun last year when I was... Read more »