Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- Primitive Christmas Event…The time has come…all the Elves have worked so hard…If you are reading this early I am on my way home from California…from a great retreat with 60 fabulous ladies… Here are the items I have contributed to our event…there are lots of items from other designers the shop girls… Read more »
- Mix It Up…give-awayToday is blog hop day for the MIX IT UP book…by Lissa Alexander…from Martingale…16 projects in this book by 16 Moda designers!!!! You must have this one in your Library collection! I love books….I can never get enough….I think I even need a book tattoo…and don’t think I haven’t been… Read more »
- Limited Edition Christmas Box..So…I’m super excited about our Christmas Box…This is the new wrapper for our Christmas Wool Box! This is a one time box- you have to sign up for it…even if you are already getting our regular wool subscription boxes… If you are not getting our wool boxes and you can… Read more »
- What a deal!!!!Are you looking for a new block of the month? or a winter project? This might be the perfect one for you… Introducing Square Deal…this was our 2019 Summer Block of the week project…Amy produced this masterpiece this summer and it is just stunning!!!! It is inspired by an antique… Read more »
- We have a limited quantity of soon-to-be-released books….here in HOUSTON!As you can see…Kathy Schmidt’s, Lissa Alexander, Mary and Connie from Country Threads and Yoko Saito’s books are For Sale in our Primitive Gatherings Houston booth!!! So if you coming tonight for preview…..you might want to snap one, two or all of these beauties up! We all know these books… Read more »
- Urban Farmhouse Fabric is starting to arrive at Primitive Gatherings(A quick break from all the blue and white you are going to see….) Finally the wait is over….Urban Farmhouse Gatherings is starting to come into the store and your local quilt stores may be getting it soon as well…we did get to cut and bring some yardage to Houston,… Read more »
- Did you notice the silence?I’m leaving on the jet plane…on my way to Houston…Sorry about that two weeks of no communication from me, it always happens this time of year, but not on purpose, getting ready for market and festival and the November wool box and our Primitive Christmas event…and now on the radar… Read more »
- Pine Island…NC Beach house…here we come, again!!!!6 Days in this BEAUTY!!!! Trust me most of will never stay in anything like this… We’re going back!!!! This is actually the first house we stayed at a couple of years back…. it was in early March=no swimming….but we are going to heat the pool and… Read more »
- Stitcher’s Gatherings…CA & WII spent a lovely day last Thursday with the CA girls…Such a lovely bunch of ladies…It is fun when you get to see them time after time and get to know them…and seeing their progress is very gratifying…. Barbara….I helped her with her border idea for setting her blocks…she pulled… Read more »