Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- Moon Garden Stitch Along…Block 1Our wool Stitch-Along is finally here!!! I am hoping you by now you have received your kit if you have purchased it though Primitive Gatherings. I can’t begin to tell you how much we appreciate the overwhelming response to this Stitch Along. I know most of you have more projects... Read more »
- Let’s Sail Away!!!…this one is a doozy…Well you have been asking…and this opportunity came up and we had to jump at it……Miami to Rome….14 days!!! We will have lots of time on the ship…we decided it is going to be a UFO cruise…we will have lots of stitching time…and I will be there for “help” you... Read more »
- Local Kitchen Tour…Looking for a fun day out of the house? Especially since the weather is being so un-cooperative!!!! This post is for my local following…I am counting on seeing some of you, my friends, old and new neighbors and especially my quilters!!! THURSDAY APRIL 19TH FROM 10AM – 8 PM! I am super excited... Read more »
- Home project…you know the kind that keeps pestering you in the back of your mind…I have had this project festering in me for about a year…but I just couldn’t take the time to pull it off…I am sure we all have them…I tried to get it done before Christmas…that did not happen so it became my Christmas card holder….it ended up having lots of... Read more »
- Do you remember the Magic of Christmas blocks/Stitch A-long?Here is my finished quilt from our 25 red & white/cream-6″ blocks…Magic of Christmas Stitch A-Long we ran here before our Triangle Gatherings blocks… How many of you are still working on your blocks? Or… how many of you have seen some of the quilts made from this SAL and have... Read more »
- Spring decorating…featuring antique quilts and hand made decor…Just before I left for California I decorated the house for Spring…we had a few nice days and we all are anxious for it to stay….So I can think no better idea than to bring in March with some spring decor… The first thing I did was change the quilts in... Read more »
- updated Garden Mystery Block Instructions…Please RE-PRINT I was sick the last couple of days…and that is my excuse for uploading the 1st/unedited version of the Garden block…I don’t get sick very often so it was just one of those things…the good thing is there were not may issues…the finished size was changed along with some... Read more »
- Garden Mystery Block Blog Hop!!!Today is my DAY!!! The blocks will be posted on FRIDAYS..until you have collected them all…Have you been following along already or is this the first you have heard about it? I did post awhile back saying it was happening…but no worries you can still go and capture those... Read more »
- Moon Garden Mystery Stitch-A- Long!!!It has been awhile since I have launched a wool appliqué stitch-a-long…I am sure excited to be doing so this year…I know we have done a lot of pieced Stitch-A-Longs but now it’s time to try a wool one, if you have never done wool appliqué before…now is the time... Read more »