Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- Triangle Gatherings…blocks 39, 40 & 41…I hope you all are enjoying your Holiday weekend…and if it is not a Holiday weekend for you then you need to make it one anyway…as all weekends should be fun.. It’s a rainy morning here so I had a chance to sneak in my sewing room and get three blocks... Read more »
- Block 12 Moda Blockhead Stitch AlongClick here to go to the Moda Blog to get Carries Block Pattern… – http://blog.modafabrics.com/ Lots of fun making this one…it was a little harder picking fabrics on this one…so I can’t wait to see what you all do!! Here is my Moda Designers Block using everyone’s fabrics… Then the patriotic version…Yay…I got them... Read more »
- Triangle Gatherings…Blocks 37 & 38I am so happy to be home for three weeks!!! before I have to go to the CA store…but that’s like going home only hotter!!!! I spent some time outside today…We have two nesting families….our Mourning Dove who am assuming is the same one we had with the old house…if... Read more »
- Last Day to order Juki!!UèJust a friendly reminder that today is last day to order for our SPECIAL promotion of 100$ off and free shipping… https://www.primitivegatherings.us/shop/product/1079-juki-tl2010q.html Me and my Juki quilted 3 little quilts the day before we left for quilt market… I can rely on it and it never lets me down!!! ... Read more »
- Summer Block of the Week 2017…Today Spring Quilt Market opens!!!! This is a big deal for those of us in business in the quilting world…We get to talk to the shop owners and share our designs and products, we also get to find new and exciting stuff for our shops to keep our stores fresh and full... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads…Block 11Hey Everyone! Life is crazy right now for us Moda Designers…getting ready for the big dance.- Spring Quilt Market…we are traveling to St. Louis and Oh what fun we will have now that all the work is done….well maybe a few bindings yet…but no big deal… I was lurking in our Moda... Read more »
- Triangle Gatherings…Block 36I survived!!! Quilt Market prep…barely…that’s a whole lot of sewing…can’t wait to show you all those quilts (6)…I have been giving peeks on Instagram…but holy cow…I had help..and it still was close…Amy, Jean & Katie..made the Ohio star quilt in a day they stayed until midnight finishing it…Val quilted/bound one... Read more »
- Happy Mothers Day!!! Sale on Juki’s!!!I want to wish all the Mother’s out there a Happy Mothers Day…I hope you can spend time with your children today…no matter how old they are, we just want to spend time with them…that’s all we need right? I have been asked to put the JUKI sewing machine on special... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads…no block 10 from me…Click here to go to Jan’s Blog for block 10 instructions and an appliqué tutorial…I love this simple flower and basket block… I am so sorry I have not had a chance to finish on Jan’s block…I have the appliqués cut out but had not had a chance to hand stitch them…All... Read more »
- Block 35!!! Triangle Gatherings..Happy Friday Everyone!! I am currently on the beautiful island of Mackinac…Getting ready to spend a week with almost 200 quilters/stitchers We are at the Needlework Seminar put on by the Musser Family who own the Grand Hotel. Mrs Musser loved the needle arts…so we are honored to be apart of... Read more »