Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- 12 Days of Christmas…Needful Things…Day 8DAY 8- IRONING ESSENTIALS Today I have three MUST have NEEDFUL THINGS. Yes I capitalized these because just kill me now if I don’t have these in my possession when pressing & steaming. Pressing seams open, pressing wool projects, pressing fusible to wools. Steaming wools to backgrounds Rowenta Steam Station THE best Iron... Read more »
- 12 Days of Christmas…Needful Things…Day 9 UpdatedThere were are few things left off of this original post…like the question you are to comment on to win…I am hoping more people comment as the prizes will be awesome trust me!!!! Also the Bosal fusible web was not listed on our site… DAY 9-Fusible Web-Introducing a new one Hmmm this is... Read more »
- 12 Days of Christmas…Needful Things…Day 10Today I was up at 4:30am to catch a flight to Vegas…I’m takin Nick on his first flight/mini weekend vacation since his surgery, Vegas is really the only place he likes to go…so when I got up I needed to link up my day 11 post and then proceeded to... Read more »
- 12 Days of Christmas…12 Needful Things…Day 11Day 11- Storage Containers Yes we have lots of “stuff” and that means we need something to put it in! We are featuring two items for storage…one is made here in the “quilters workshop” by Scott pir staff carpenter and the other is not Up first…these foldable storage “crates” come in a... Read more »
- Do you want to give a quilt for a Chrismas present but you don’t have time to finish it???Have I a deal for you…We have several finished quilts and projects (32 to be exact) on our Etsy site that are for sale…They would make the perfect Christmas gifts to give to someone..I won’t tell if you don’t that you didn’t make it…they desparately need homes!!! Click the link... Read more »
- 12 Days of Christmas…Needful Things… Day 12Here we are…another year of things we cannot live without!!!! I love compliling these “needful” things for you…whether you are new to this or you are a veteran…I hope you have a great time with this event… DAY 12-BOOKS Were would be we without our Books? I know I am a book-a-holic…I... Read more »
- St. Nick comes tonight…Do you celebrate St. Nick? We did growing up…We each hung our stocking in hopes for for a little pre-Christmas fun…St. Nick delivered small things like socks, crayons and mostly candy…so with that in mind… We decided that we were going to do something special at Primitive Gathering to honor... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads-Good Intentions…Blocks 26 & 31 instead…BLOCK 26 I had every intention on doing today’s block last night…but then when I sat down opened my pattern…it was Jan’s beautiful applique basket…Click HERE to go to the newest pattern…I did not have time to get this done in an evening…so I decided to post some of my “blocks... Read more »
- Good Morning…this is currently happening…The Geese, are them welcoming me home?…I don’t know for sure but it does feel like it…the photo is deceiving…they are about 10 feet off our shoreline… Wow…it was a jammed packed trip to CA…first off our Retreat in Temecula Valley (wine country, and yes…I did take a walk to the... Read more »