Blockheads ~ Block 46

Brrrrr.  Is it cold where you are?

Okay.  This might be overly dramatic… this isn’t Dallas.  But to yours-truly, I feel like I’m sitting on that bench right now.  I’m freezing.  But it’s all relative because the outside-temperature at a sweet friend’s house was -2 yesterday morning.

Though the temperature in Dallas this morning – Wednesday – is 12 F.  I’d be happier with 12 C.

Block 46 – Cats and Dogs by Jan Patek.  (Most dogs I’ve known love the snow.)

This is Tammy’s block – she adjusted the placement of the critters because she’s going to put this block on point.  (Clever girl… planning ahead.)  Her fabrics are all from Primitive GatheringsLisa Bongean.

CLICK HERE for the link to Jan’s blog and the link to Block 46 – Cat & Dog

This is “my” Figgy block.  The two print fabrics are from Fig Tree & Co.’s Farmhouse collection with a background from Liberty Gatherings by Lisa Bongean.

This block was beautifully, wonderfully hand-appliquéd by my sweet friend, Kristine.  Aside from being a lovely houseguest, she made my Blockheads block for me!  (Sadly, we were out having fun so she didn’t get to make the Blue Reproduction block… next time.)

(Thank you to Pexel for the Winter-Snow images.  They were all so pretty, I had a hard time picking just one.)

Question of the Week ~ When you stitch – hand or machine – do you listen to anything?  Music, podcasts, audiobooks, television or Netflix?

Most of the time.  There are times when I prefer the “quiet” – that includes the hum of my sewing machine, the sound of a storm outside, etc.  But “sewing time” is when I listen to audiobooks, podcasts and music.  I confess to not being much of a television-watcher, and even though I occasionally will binge-watch something on Netflix, I prefer audiobooks, podcasts and music.

What about you?  Are there any podcasts you love that I need to add to my list?

Once again – CLICK HERE for the link to Jan’s blog and the link to Block 46 – Cat & Dog

Don’t forget that there is a Blockheads Archive with links to all of the published blocks and blog posts.

That’s it for a cold January 17.  Be sure to visit Betsy, Lisa, Lynne and J0 to see their blocks and what other good things they might have made:

And don’t miss the blocks being posted to #modablockheads on Instagram and Facebook.  The colors, styles of fabric and block variations are wonderful.

If you’re not already a member, you can still join the Moda Blockheads Facebook group.  It’s a busy group with lots of tips, suggestions and support.

Happy Blockhead Wednesday!

13 comments on “Blockheads ~ Block 46

1. MariLynn Bergmark says:

I am not sure I will be using this Blockhead block with the 45 others blocks, but I printed it out incase I have a change in heart. Sorry Jan Patek.

2. Daisy says:

Wow! That’s cold. Here on the south coast of South Australia it has been 39.2F/102C, and tomorrow a couple of degrees hotter. And that’s in the shade! Tomorrow the day’s Tour Down Under cycling finishes here in Victor Harbor. The cyclists have been working very hard this week in the heat, and many have come from the northern hemisphere in the last week or so, a great adjustment for them.
    I’ve been working/sewing in the A/C!! Daisy

3. Sis says:

I listen to podcasts, music and audio books when I sew. I never watch TV – I knit or crochet when watching TV. I will occasionally have a YouTube video going while sewing but stop when I get to something I want to watch so I listen rather than watch the videos.
    As I am a dressmaker as well as patchworker/quilter I recently found this podcast:
    which I have enjoyed while sewing this past month or so. Apart from that one I mostly listen to radio podcasts/catch-up

4. Janet says:

I feel for you as here in Central Floroda we are supposed to go down to 29 degrees. I listen to audiobooks, music and yes old movies I also listen to some of the old radio programs.

5. Mary Platt says:

I occasionally listen to music or audiobooks, but usually I listen to the birds and enjoy my roses as my sewing machine is right by a window. Yes, the roses are blooming in January–it’s Arizona.

It’s snowing here and I’m so ready for spring!
    I look to listen to TV when I’m stting on my sewing machine.
    BTW cute blocks but I don’t like applique and now look for an alternate cat block.

• Barbara Hamrick says:

Hildy, you probably already know, but jic you don’t, Lisa Bongean at Primitive Gatherings always posts an alternate pieced block. Cheers! B

7. Patricia A. Adams says:

Thanx to Jan Patek, I can now finish my center focus piece which is all hand applique. I love the serenity applique brings in the evening. Working on completing my Liberty Gatherings Block heads quilt…..so many machine blocks, but beautiful…….

8. Jeanne says:

When I took my kids to school yesterday it was -23…BRRR!! Today we are so happy because it is in the 30’s.

9. Kelsie says:

Thank you Ms Jan. Before you posted your block, I actually decided that my quilt needs an animal (besides birds) and was hoping for a cat or rabbit this week. Before the Blockheads, I had never done applique. So, Ms Jan taught me to applique. I have done 2 of her blocks by hand and the others by machine. Thank you!

10. Margaret Morris says:

It’s 8.45 am on Thursday morning here in Adelaide South Australia. It’s already 31.5C and we expect the temp. to rise to 42.0C. I’ve turned on the air con. and will be sitting at my sewing machine today – it’s the coolest thing I can think to do. Your photo helps me “think cool” and I think the the cat and dog block is also “cool”. Get out the sewing machines girls and make something “cool” or “hot” today. It will take your mind of the weather. As always, thanks for the great post Carrie.

11. liz hinze says:

No it’s 60 degrees here in Oregon (Willamette Valley)
    I know this is pathetic but I want it to get cold…

12. pattypiecer says:

It was unusually cold here in Florida today and more tomorrow. I have loved this sew along. I listen to audio books and Podcasts when I sew. One of my favorite podcast is WHAT YOU MISSED IN HISTORY CLASS. Some interesting topics there!. I enjoy a good audio book also when I sew.

We love to hear from you...