Now that Fall Quilt Market is in the books, we’re excited to start working on our Wooly Felted Wonder Tote Bags. Why? Because they’re beautiful, the totes can be customized and made completely original, and they make great gifts, (Though we’re probably keeping them for ourselves.)
And there is a Challenge – a contest. Get a kit, embellish it to your heart’s content, take a picture of it and enter the Challenge. There are several spectacular prizes – including a couple of Bernina sewing machines!
The official start date of the Challenge was October 15 but with everything going on the past few weeks, we didn’t get to make our own tote bags until now.
Here’s how you can enter. First, get a Wooly Felted Wonder Tote Bag Kit. The tote is made with 100% felted wool that is a very generous 1/8″ thick. When assembled, some layers will be a generous 1/4″ thick. The wool is sturdy and durable, and will last for many years with regular usage. The suggested retail price for the kit is $79.99.
What’s in the kit?
The kit includes the following:
- Pre-cut wool pieces ready to embellish and assemble. (Lightly steam-pressing the wool pieces to remove the folds is recommended.)
- Foot hardware in Stainless Steel with pre-cut pieces of stabilizer
- Step-by-step Instructions with color pictures
- Bonus Key Fob to match the Tote Bag
- Wooly Felted Wonders Pin
- Measuring tape ribbon that ties it all together
Additional notions & tools you’ll probably need:
- Sewing thread – Thea uses a 50 wt. polyester thread but we’ve been using 40 wt. cotton threads with great results.
- Embellishments – of every kind! Wool, ribbon, embroidery floss and perle cotton, etc.
- Sewing machine in good working order – a regular, home sewing machine will do the job.
- Seam ripper or awl – for making the holes to insert the feet-hardware on the bottom of the bag. (This is optional.)
A few other things to consider having on hand:
- Wonder Clips or other binding-type clips for holding pieces together during assembly.
- 90/14 sewing needles for assembly – while the felted wool stitches easily, it is quite thick.
- Steam-A-Seam Lite or Lazy Girl Fusi-Bond Lite – for fusing fabric or wool to the base tote bag for embellishing.
- Cotton, polyester and rayon threads in 35 wt., 28 wt. or 12 wt. for decorative stitching – including top-stitching and assembly.
The Challenge runs until Tuesday, January 15, 2019.
Are you in?