On Trend: Moda Building Blocks

DSCN3609

The Moda Building Blocks quilt which debuted at International Quilt Market in Pittsburgh last spring is trending right now in many different version. The original quilt with its bold and beautiful Bella solids is truly stunning. I plan to make this version exactly as is. But first…I had another idea in mind…

DSCN0632

A red and white quilt has been on my “bucket list” for a few years now, but I could never seem to find the right pattern. After receiving my Moda Building Blocks pattern this summer, I started formulating a plan. I began by starting with a stack of my favorite Moda red and white fabrics.

DSCN0799

I decided on scrappy backgrounds, too…mostly white on white prints with some solids, text prints, and low-volume prints thrown in for fun. And then I started sewing…

DSCN0800

If you haven’t already made this quilt…it’s a “must make!” Make the original or make it scrappy. You’ll be happy you did. I was just going to sew a few blocks on the day I started and ended up sewing all of the blocks in the entire first section.

Here are a few hints:

• Start with a group of your favorite fabrics
  • Decide on a background
  • Make the blocks a section at a time so you can play around with the colors and prints that will be next to each other in the quilt. You will want to have a good mix in each section, and that will help you to keep things proportioned well throughout the quilt.
  • Have fun

How are you going to make your Moda Building Blocks quilt? Will you make the original or use a combination of your favorite colors or designer prints?

8 comments on “On Trend: Moda Building Blocks

1. Colette Lee says:

This is such a great idea! Love, love your blocks!! Can’t wait to see your quilt finish!

2. Maria Filomena says:

Beautiful work red oh whith…..beautiful!!!!

3. Jacque says:

Love red and white quilts. Anxious to see the finish.

4. Lauren says:

Brilliant idea! I think I am going to like the two colour version better than the original. Especially in reds and whites. I can hardly wait to see the finished quilt.

5. Stacy says:

Love what you are doing with this pattern. This is on my Christmas Wish list. Thanks for the great suggestions/hints for getting started

6. Mary D says:

This is the beginning of one heck of a great quilt. This quilt is on my to do list but mine would have prints and vibrant colors to go along with some solids.This would be my version.

7. Marcie Walterman says:

I love the quilt and bought the Modern Building Blocks sleeve with all of the blocks. I have been trying to find the Assembly and Finishing pdf that they list but I can’t get those instructions. Help! Marcie W

8. sylvia says:

Late to the party as usual … is there a blog/place/somewhere that has dimensions of those huge 36″ blocks … how big are the “parts” that you build to make the 36″ blocks? I’m flying by the seat of my pants and I keep getting tripped up because I’m not sure what those inner parts should measure … and my inner quilting goddess is telling me to SQUARE AS YOU GO! Any help out there? Thanks!