You might have noticed the amazing new Moda Christmas collections are readily available now in your favorite shops…just in time for Christmas sewing in July! Planning and sewing Christmas projects during the summer months makes good sense: not only will you have plenty of time to plan and complete Christmas sewing, but you also won’t have trouble finding your favorite pieces from these brand new Christmas collections. It’s always good to plan and shop early for the best selection, and now is that time for Christmas and holiday project sewing. Be sure to plan now for border, backing and binding purchases for these projects, too. It’s often harder to find yardage of the most popular Christmas fabrics as it gets closer to the actual holiday.
Not only is now the perfect time to shop for the latest in Christmas fabrics, but most importantly it’s time to decide what to make with them! Don’t get caught waiting until fall to begin: by then you might not have enough time to complete all of your wonderful ideas. Go through your Christmas patterns, and also remember the Moda Bakeshop often features projects with the new Christmas fabrics during the summer months; be sure to look there for pattern ideas and inspiration. Keeping an on-going project list whether on paper or on your Pinterest board can be a great help, too. Now is the perfect time to double check those lists and make a plan to start sewing.
Simple projects to sew now for Christmas giving:
- Christmas quilts
- Christmas pillows (all sizes–mini pillows for decorations and larger pillows and pillow shams)
- Christmas table runners and table toppers
- Christmas wall hangings
- Christmas stockings
- Christmas ornaments
- Christmas tags
- Christmas kitchen items: pot holders, dish towels, and place mats
- Christmas gift bags of all sizes
- Christmas mini quilts
- Christmas door hangers
Really, the possibilities are endless. Anything you make with non-seasonal fabrics can be spectacular in Christmas designs. If you have a favorite “go to” pattern be sure to put one together in your favorite Christmas fabrics, too. Shops often start displaying their new Christmas ideas and decor during the summer, as well–so be sure to visit your favorite shops for the latest in Christmas sewing inspiration.
Christmas table runners are the perfect quick and easy gift.
Here are some more ideas to jump-start your Christmas sewing now and throughout the year:
- Make practice blocks for all of your quilts and projects year round from your favorite Christmas fabrics. Then you can assemble them into Christmas Sampler quilts when you have enough blocks.
- Try to spend at least one day a month working on Christmas projects. Keep finished projects in one place so you have easy access to them in the fall.
- Keep a list of ideas for Christmas gifts you want to make using non-Christmas fabrics; summer is a good time to work on these projects as well.