Did you know… color value can be even more important than color in quilt design?
Have you ever looked at a quilt and thought it looked blah, boring, and unexciting?
The colors blend and they’re pretty; the fabric has good visual texture; but overall, the quilt lacks the excitement and “pop” you wish it had. It’s likely you’re looking at a quilt that needs more contrast!
Without the proper contrasting values in your quilt, it will appear flat and dull. But with the right values, your quilt will be vibrant and exciting! The colors and fabrics you so carefully selected will pop. You will be able see and truly appreciate every aspect of even the most intricate quilt design.
Many quilters don’t realize that value does all the work in a quilt. Too often, color gets all the credit.
The Sew Red Glasses are the simplest way to determine the color value – light, medium, or dark – of fabric. Every quilter, seamstress, fabric artist, designer and florist needs this tool to perfect the most important design element – Contrast!
Here’s how easy it is to put this into practice:
1. Put on Sew Red Glasses to determine color value of fabrics. The red filter lens removes the color and enables you to see fabrics in a grey scale.
2. With your Sew Red Glasses, organize fabrics by value – dark, medium, light.
3. Check your design with the Sew Red Glasses to make sure you see every aspect of your project.
4. Sew Red Glasses help you see contrasting values to create vibrancy and interest in your design.
5. Keep in mind the red filter does not give you the true value of red and pink fabrics.
Watch the video to see how these glasses work!
These are also available in a clip on style
to clip on to your reading glasses.