Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- MODA BLOCK HEADS 2 BLOCKS 16 & 17 & 18!It is Block Head Wednesday today…I know…today is almost over…but all I can do is blame it on Florance….I was supposed to be teaching on the Outer Banks of NC this week…needless to say we were told we could not go over the bridge because they were going to have... Read more »
- Fall…Anyone?Today is beautiful, the humidity has left, the rain has stopped and it is a wonderful morning to post… We are packed for North Carolina Retreat, today is the show opening for WI Quilt Expo in Madison WI..and I have my first border complete on Twighlight Garden…lots of things to celebrate… I... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads 2…Blocks 14 & 15It’s September and this month you will be getting a bonus!!! Two blocks each week… I sure lucked out becaue we are working on our book for our new fabric line Star & Stripe Gatherings and getting ready to go the Outer Banks of NC on a week long retreat with... Read more »
- Summer Block of the Week Wrap Up…September is almost here…and it’s time to get your finishing kits ready to order… This year we only have two things that need finishing kits…Star Studded Event has no finishing kit it is just the blocks set 15 across x 16 down for a quilt that finishes 90×96 or you can... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads 2…Block 13Its lucky week no. 13 and this weeks block is from Corey Yoder!Her design company is called Coriander Quilts…Her block this week is called…Patchwork Flower and here is my version of Corey’s pattern..Now do not look too close…there are some descrepensies in my block and to me it looked just fine…there... Read more »
- Moon Garden Block 5Yay!!! I’m home again!!! Thanks for waiting for Block 5…I know we said we would put them out around the 15th so I guess we are not too late…I love this block…so fun to stitch…Pattern can be downloaded HERE Moon Garden Block 5 blog Here is a closeup of the fly stitch…you... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads 2- Block 11I know…I did not post block 10 yet! (because i did not stitch it yet!)…I had way too many deadlines that week: turned into Moda a bunch of fabric lines-like 5, Warehouse sale was happening, had to write that new lecture, quiltsproject/fabric requirement for 9 quilts- for my next fabric... Read more »
- Flying Geese…I am near Huntington Beach teaching workshops yesterday and today! Teaching how to use a “redneck” overlay to postition their wools on the background.. def…A crude outline of the project on a plasitc bag, sheet protector ect…to fast and easy positioning of the appliques so they are close enough…do not... Read more »
- Nothing like being home…I am happily spending time at home….Nick, Jake, Lauren, Jace and I took the boat out today for lunch…Nicks first adventure in the boat after his surgery….Yay! The garden is producing…and the flowers are blooming…I love picking something from the garden and then making something from it right away… Jalapeno & banana... Read more »