Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- Moda Block Heads 2…Block 5Hey Everyone…this week’s block is from Vanessa fromLella Boutique. Click that link to go to her account for the info on this week’s pattern. Vanessa’ is one of the prettiest “redheads” I know….She could be Jamie’s Daughter “Brianna” in the Oulander books…just my opinion…lol. This was a huge block…and mine came out... Read more »
- St. George Utah Retreat!!!Janet (mastermind of those “crazy” awesome patterns/books -you probably have one or several of her Buggy Barn Crazy books) is going to teach at my friend Joyce’s Retreat in Southern Utah…here is the flyer…You might need a late Summer get-away!!! This was so much fun last year when I was... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads 2…Block 4This week’s block is from Brigitte from Zen Chic…I spent some time with Brigitte and her “new man” at Quilt Market this Spring…our booths were next to each other…she is a lot of fun and I’m glad I got to know…Did you know she has created all the pattern pages... Read more »
- Row by Row…2018… Sew MusicalToday is the kick off for our 2018’s Row by Row Experience…This year you can do different sizes other than the 9×36″ row…so that made it extra fun!! Here is our (Foxy Boxy)18×18 block…the happy musical emoji!!! We all love music…and I am sure you know someone who is into singing,... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads II… Block 3Happy Wednesday Everyone… I hope you all are enjoying these blocks…I think I like how simple and fast some of them are at this moment in my world…they take no time to complete…more time to pick the fabrics than to cut and stitch them… Today’s block is from Carrie…Click HERE to see... Read more »
- Assessing my situation…Is anyone like me?…All has to be sorted, put away…cleaned up…re-organized to I can peacefully do my work? I think I am almost there again…It’s been 6 weeks since my hamstring injury…so time to get back to moving on a regular basis also, that has also been hanging over my... Read more »
- Gathering of Stitches Retreat…CAThe best thing about retreats…. the people. Getting the opportunity to hangout and get to really know a person is better than all the quilt fabric in the world… making friends is priceless and when you attend a retreat this happens… I just spent a wonderful 4 days with a bunch of... Read more »
- I can wait to see this today when I walk to my door….Do you see it? That super cool door mat that says…Someone sews who lives here! We only have about 10 of in our WI store and a few in the CA store…these are not on our site….if you must have one…because I know some of you will…call the shop and... Read more »