Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- Gathering of Stitches Retreat…CAThe best thing about retreats…. the people. Getting the opportunity to hangout and get to really know a person is better than all the quilt fabric in the world… making friends is priceless and when you attend a retreat this happens… I just spent a wonderful 4 days with a bunch of... Read more »
- I can wait to see this today when I walk to my door….Do you see it? That super cool door mat that says…Someone sews who lives here! We only have about 10 of in our WI store and a few in the CA store…these are not on our site….if you must have one…because I know some of you will…call the shop and... Read more »
- Moda Block Heads II Block 2…Today’s Block is from Barb & Mary of Me & My Sister Designs….I love these two girls…always belly laughs when I’m with them…I also want to take some of their great patterns and make them with my fabrics….they do really cool cheery and bright fabrics lines for Moda…so what I... Read more »
- Finally….my Block Head Block!!!I know…I’m late to the party…but I got my crap together and here is my blockhead block!!! The pattern is posted on Lynne’s blog and in the Moda Block Head Facebook group in the Files. If you have not joined it yet…just ask and we will get in you into the... Read more »
- Block Heads 2!!! Starts today!!I do not know why this didn’t post this morning… I am so excited for this upcoming 2018 Block Heads…mainly because we have been able to invite another designer to join in!!! I can’t wait to introduce to you who I have invited to join in our fun adventure!!! The first block... Read more »
- 2018 Summer Blocks of the WeekHey All… It’s that time again…my favorite time of the year when I get to create these new projects for you…it means I have spent lots of time planning and stitching and who wouldn’t love THAT job!!! WOOL- SUMMER BLOCK OF THE WEEK (SBOW) – TWILIGHT GARDEN Shown here with the navy flannel... Read more »
- Moon Garden Block #2Happy Friday!!!…Quickly…I thought I would give you a little insight into my inspiration for Moon Garden… First off…I have a confession…these blocks were a previous freebie that we did many years back they were 4 1/2″ blocks finished I believe Ours our 18×18 right now!!!…and to be honest a couple of... Read more »