Pursuing her dream to make a career out of her artwork and illustrations, Kathy Schmitz took her quilt-themed greeting cards to Quilt Market in 2002. That’s where she was discovered by Moda Fabrics. Her first collection, Cozy Comforts, debuted later that year.
The youngest of three girls, Kathy was always drawing and painting, often illustrating the stories she wrote with her artwork. With accomplished seamstresses and quilters in the family, she made her first quilt when she was 13 years old using her grandmother’s old treadle sewing machine. It was only natural that she studied graphic design and painting in college.
The style of illustration that has become her signature came about when she wanted something new to hang over the mantle of her home at Christmas. After digging out the three tubes of paint she had leftover from collection, she painted a picture of her house in a snow scene and promptly fell in love with the type of artwork. Having only one house of her own, she began paint pictures of other people’s homes.
Kathy added embroidery to her repertoire in 2007 – picking up a hobby that she’d first learned to do in 2nd grade. The line drawings of embroidery were so well-suited to her artwork that she began designing embroidery to coordinate with her fabrics. Designing quilts – including many that incorporated her embroidery designs – came less than a year later.
A little cottage in Portland, Oregon that she shares with her husband and best friend, Steve is the house in Kathy’s latest drawings. Her two grown boys visit often – she’s a doting Mom who beams with pride when asked about them, happily saying that they’re always in her heart.
- KitsWhen I'm ready to create something, I love having EVERYTHING I need to make it right at my fingertips. Sometimes those things might be time-consuming to gather, so I thought I would design some fun, small, projects, assemble all the items needed, and offer them as kits. The first kit... Read more »
- Moda #12 ContestFlutterby pincushionThank you so much for joining me! It's my turn to share my project for the Moda 12 Designers Contest! If you haven't visited with me before, welcome. I have the good fortune to design fabric for Moda and I also design quilt and embroidery patterns. Hand embroidery is... Read more »
- Buttermilk Basin Blog HopThank you for visiting me! I have designed a little Christmas wish to share with you. My wish is for PEACE ON EARTH May your days be happy and bright this holiday season.A Wish free patternClick HERE for your free pattern.I think I bake more cookes this time of year... Read more »
- Garden NotesClose-up of one of the watercolor paintingsI wanted to share my new line of fabric with Moda called Garden Notes.This line has a delivery date of January 2017.I hope you like it as much as I liked painting it!Click Here to see more!Morning Glory Blue Garden JournalBees in the BowersClose-up... Read more »
- Top of the Hill - Splendid Sampler!The Splendid Sampler has reached a major moment! Flights of Fancy, designed by the super talented Joanna Figuero, marks the 50th block! Flights of Fancy by Joanna FigueroA very special block has been designed to celebrate the 50th and it's called Top of the Hill!Top of the HillThe Top of the Hill pattern is... Read more »
- Buttermilk Basin Summer Blog HopSummer in Portland, Oregon - City of RosesSummer Fun!Thank you for joining me on my day of the Buttermilk Basin blog hop! I like to spend my summer days in my backyard watching the plants grow, the birds flit about, and soaking in a little sun. Yes, it does get... Read more »
- Stitches from the GardenStitches from the Garden is almost here! Just in time for all things spring. Last spring I moved my studio to a room with windows looking out onto our backyard. Watching all of the green leaves pop out and the buds opening up, I was inspired to design this book. I wanted... Read more »