I took this as a challenge.
For the next few years, I made little quilts to sell and peddled my own patterns locally until I finally took the leap and attended International Quilt Market. A Block-of-the-Month quilt I’d created using mostly Moda fabrics caught their attention and I was asked to join the Moda Designer team the following market. That was almost 17 years ago. More than 50 fabric collections later, I still embrace the nature-inspired color palette and prints that are Kansas Troubles’ classics.
I’m continually learning and growing as a designer, developing more simplified ways to piece traditional quilt blocks using my Layered Patchwork technique. I enjoy sharing my quilts and methods with quilters all over the country, teaching at quilt guilds, shops and on cruises. What a delightful way to spend your life, surrounded by quilts and quilters!
- KT & Friends RetreatHave you heard?I'm hosting a quilt retreat, June 19-22, 2019, at the home of Kansas Troubles Quilters in Bennington, Kansas. We're so excited with your response to our first ever KT & Friends quilt retreat. With more than half the spaces filled, we're in the final phases of registration. I... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads II - Block #27Block #27 - Mountain Climbing by Lynne HagmeierIf you know me, you know I don't usually make blocks with so many half square triangles, but this block intrigued me. I like the geometry of it and It worked out great since it's a large block, so none of the elements... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads II#23 - Broken Windows by Jo MortonThis week, one of our original Blockheads offers a chance to hone your skills piecing half square triangles in this fun 6" block. I chose to keep mine simple with a 3-color red/tan/navy version. Find Jo's instructions HERE.Block #23-Broken Windows by Jo Morton#24 -... Read more »
- KT October SpecialPumpkin Seeds Lap Quilt KitLooking for a quick and easy fall project to warm up your home decor? We have it! Our trio of coordinating pumpkin projects is the answer.Through the month of October (supplies are limited), we're offering the Pumpkin Seeds lap quilt for only $80 ($115 retail value)... Read more »
- Big KTQ News!KT & Friends Quilt RetreatHave you ever tried to coordinate time with your quilting friends to hang out and sew and visit and laugh, but your busy schedules get in the way? I'm delighted to announce that three of my favorite designers and I finally synced our calendars to teach... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads II - Week #21 & 22Blocks #21 - Circle and Star by Jan PatekI love Jan's block this week. Who doesn't love a good star-in-a-circle for a red/tan/blue quilt? I'm packing this weekend for my teaching trip to San Diego with Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Co (maybe you've heard of her?), so time... Read more »
- Come Stay a WhileKT RetreatsWe're making plans to freshen up our KT Retreat over the winter, just in time for 2019. If you've ever wanted to hang out in our warm, cozy space with your quilting friends and sew to your heart's content, this is your year. Comfy chairs and good lighting make this... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads II - Week #14Welcome to Blockheads II! If you haven't been following Blockheads since the beginning, here's how it all began. There were six of us "dark" Moda designers who gathered at market to hatch a plan to offer a block-of-the-week to show how all of our fabrics played nicely together. Over 48 weeks,... Read more »
- KT September SpecialHuggable Quilts & Country Road FlannelAre you ready to start a new fall project? How about something quick & easy perfect for holiday gift-giving? Our Huggable quilts are the fastest way to whip up a soft, cuddly quilt in a weekend - or less. Start with our Country Road Flannel... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week #13Block #13 - Patchwork Flower by Corey YoderWelcome to Corey! She's one of the new Blockheads this time around. It's great to have some new (dare we say "young") blood infused in this second series of blocks. Her Patchwork Flower at 6" x 18" is a fun addition to the... Read more »