I took this as a challenge.
For the next few years, I made little quilts to sell and peddled my own patterns locally until I finally took the leap and attended International Quilt Market. A Block-of-the-Month quilt I’d created using mostly Moda fabrics caught their attention and I was asked to join the Moda Designer team the following market. That was almost 17 years ago. More than 50 fabric collections later, I still embrace the nature-inspired color palette and prints that are Kansas Troubles’ classics.
I’m continually learning and growing as a designer, developing more simplified ways to piece traditional quilt blocks using my Layered Patchwork technique. I enjoy sharing my quilts and methods with quilters all over the country, teaching at quilt guilds, shops and on cruises. What a delightful way to spend your life, surrounded by quilts and quilters!
- Moda Blockheads Week #29It's Week #29 of Moda's Blockheads block of the week.Our Question of the Week: Do you ever machine quilt your own quilts? Any special tips?Obviously I'm ahead on BOW questions since I answered this one last week. If you're interested, here's what I said in my Sept. 13 blog post... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week #28Blockheads Week #28Jan's Pumpkin block has arrived just in time for fall. Kathy made her block with cotton prints, while Joy made her block out of wool stitching the pumpkin ridge details. Customize your pumpkin to suit your quilt.Find Jan's Pumpkin Block #28 on her blog. Question of the Week:... Read more »
- Happy Jelly Roll Day!Moda Fabrics invented the precut - charm packs, Layer Cakes, Jelly Rolls, Honey Buns, Candies (mini charms) and more. Sense a theme here? What do quilters love almost as much as fabric? Sweets! And these precuts make quilting even sweeter. I love starting with precuts for quilting projects, especially when... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week #27Moda Blockheads Week #27This week features Jo Morton's block, Union Variation. I can see a multitude of color options for this block and can't wait to see what you all make. I love seeing your FB posts. Keep it up!Here is Kathy's traditional block (right) using some of Jo's collection... Read more »
- KT Retreats 2018Gather your quilting friends and book a retreat next year. Our KT Retreat Getaways offer uninterrupted time to sew, visit and play with your best friends.We all deserve a little break from the routine responsibilities of our lives. Relax...sleep... shop... eat... See you next year! Click HERE for our KT... Read more »
- KT September SpecialThe year is flying by. It's time to once again announce our monthly special. For September, we thought you might be ready to whip up some fast & easy holiday gifts. I don't know about you, but it seems my list keeps getting longer each year. Everyone loves to receive... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week #26Blockheads Week #26Question of the Week: Is there a product/ruler/tool you wish you'd invented? Duh, rotary cutters/blades. No one has just one cutter and we're always buying more blades so we don't run out. And now, with pinked/wave/scallop blades, there's even more reason to have a variety. Betsy's delightful block this... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week #25Blockheads Week #25What goes around, comes around. And here we are again with a KTQ block, Twice the Friendship. I feel I've gotten to know so many of you through your Blockhead posts on FB each week - your favorite colors, fabric choices and tidbits you've gleaned from everyone in... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week #24Blockheads Week #24Oh my gosh, we're halfway there! Woohoo! Time to celebrate! Time to start considering setting options for my blocks. Oh, Yikes! We're already halfway there. I have to seriously come up with a plan - and soon. It's been such a crazy summer here I haven't had a... Read more »