I took this as a challenge.
For the next few years, I made little quilts to sell and peddled my own patterns locally until I finally took the leap and attended International Quilt Market. A Block-of-the-Month quilt I’d created using mostly Moda fabrics caught their attention and I was asked to join the Moda Designer team the following market. That was almost 17 years ago. More than 50 fabric collections later, I still embrace the nature-inspired color palette and prints that are Kansas Troubles’ classics.
I’m continually learning and growing as a designer, developing more simplified ways to piece traditional quilt blocks using my Layered Patchwork technique. I enjoy sharing my quilts and methods with quilters all over the country, teaching at quilt guilds, shops and on cruises. What a delightful way to spend your life, surrounded by quilts and quilters!
- Moda Blockheads II - Week #11Block #11 - Direction by Sherri McConnell of A Quilting LifeSherri's headed in the right direction with this simple block of framed flying geese. There are a dozen ways to colorize her block to suit your style - or mood. I made one block in KT red/tan/navy (mostly Fresh Cut... Read more »
- Blockheads II - Week #10Block #10 - Duck and Ducklings by Jo MortonHere's a block from one of the original Blockheads. Jo's block is a fun mix of triangles in a variety of sizes. Find Jo's instructions for Duck and Ducklings on her blog HERE. Thanks for a great block.I made the block in... Read more »
- Flannel Days, Starry NightsKT August Monthly Special The new Country Road Flannels are here and we're so excited to share them with you. For July, we featured the Country Road Flannel Layer Cake and booklet to make your choice of two different projects - Rambling Road or Crossroads. Simple piecing + soft, cuddly... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads II - Week #9Block #9 - With a Plus by Laurie SimpsonWelcome to Laurie! She's one of the new additions to Blockheads II. We're delighted to have her perspective this time around. Although her With a Plus block is simply pieced, I can see it as a scrappy charm quilt - half light/half... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads II - Week #7Block #7 - Spin Cycle by Stacy Iest HsuWe're seven weeks into Blockheads II and I'm having such fun playing with fabrics for these blocks. Stacy's cleverly named pinwheel block can be colorized in a dozen ways. I chose KT classics for one option, plus my red/tan/blue color scheme again... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads II - Week #6Block #6 - Path Thru the Woods by Betsy Chutchian If you were around for Blockheads I, you know Betsy's blocks were always wonderful. I really like the blocks in various sizes this time, and this 12" beauty does not disappoint.KT red/tan/navy Find Betsy's Path Thru the Woods HEREI have about... Read more »
- KT July SpecialIt's all about Country Road FlannelMy family LOVES flannel quilts. When I showed the kids & grankids the new Country Road flannel quilts, I received a long list of requests for upcoming birthdays and/or Christmas gifts. Guess I better start stitching! These quilts are so easy to make with simple... Read more »
- Blockheads II - Week #412" Roman Cross by Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic This week, Brigitte designed a 12" block with lots of opportunity for color options. I used red/tan/blue once again for one of my colorways, and classic KTQ for the other. It's an easy block with good-sized pieces, but take care adding the... Read more »
- Blockheads II - Week #3Not a Techie Hopefully, we have all the kinks worked out of the links to the Blockheads II instructions. If you're like me, technology is a challenge, even on a good day when the computer fairies are smiling down and singing about fast internet. Sorry for any inconvenience. I believe... Read more »