I took this as a challenge.
For the next few years, I made little quilts to sell and peddled my own patterns locally until I finally took the leap and attended International Quilt Market. A Block-of-the-Month quilt I’d created using mostly Moda fabrics caught their attention and I was asked to join the Moda Designer team the following market. That was almost 17 years ago. More than 50 fabric collections later, I still embrace the nature-inspired color palette and prints that are Kansas Troubles’ classics.
I’m continually learning and growing as a designer, developing more simplified ways to piece traditional quilt blocks using my Layered Patchwork technique. I enjoy sharing my quilts and methods with quilters all over the country, teaching at quilt guilds, shops and on cruises. What a delightful way to spend your life, surrounded by quilts and quilters!
- Let's Retreat Together!KT WinnerCongratulations to our winner this week of the Gooseberry Sampler booklet -Sally -I really enjoy the BOM quilts & I am currently doing the Moda Blockheads - thanks for the alternative patterns! I absolutely love your Gooseberry Sampler quilt and all of your Kansas Troubles fabric!... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week #11Most of the designer's participating in Moda Blockheads BOW will be in St. Louis for Spring Market as you read our posts this week. We'll leave you with a challenge to keep you busy until we return. ;)Block 11 - Lisa's Star - Lisa BongeanFind the instructions for Lisa's amazing... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week #10Welcome to Week #10 of Moda Blockheads Question-of-the-Week: If we peeked in your sewing room, what color fabric has taken over your stash? Red is a neutral in my home decorating and in my stash. All of my KT colors look better next to red. It's easy to blend across other... Read more »
- It's almost time for Christmas!KT WinnerCongratulations to the winner of our 108" wide backing fabric giveaway: Dondi Murdock - I give away almost all the quilts I make so I am always behind. My skills aren't so great at putting pieced backings in the perfect position so the wide backings are fabulous... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week #9Moda Blockheads Question-of-the-Week:How often do you clean your machine? Or take it to a professional to have it cleaned? Does your machine(s) have a name? I try to clean my Bernina after a large project or any flannel quilt. Right now, after sewing for market for several weeks, it's a fuzzy... Read more »
- KT May Special108" Wide Quilt BackingDo you have a couple quilt tops completed, ready to be quilted, but are procrastinating having to piece the backing? I love a pieced backing! When making the originals of my featured quilt for each fabric line, I ask my quilters to piece the backing with fabric... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week #7Moda Blockheads Question of the Week:What's your favorite ruler? Do you have a preferred brand? Size?I like Olfa rulers with their skinny black lines and sharp 1/8" markings. They're clear acrylic to easily see thru for use with any color fabric. I think I have virtually every size they make!... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads Week #6KT WinnerThe winner of our red/tan/blue scrap bag this week isBeth Esser -Love all the blocks! My favorite needle size is 70 with my favorite Aurifil thread!Hope you find some prints that will work perfectly in your Blockheads blocks.I'm so excited to check on Facebook each morning to see all... Read more »