I took this as a challenge.
For the next few years, I made little quilts to sell and peddled my own patterns locally until I finally took the leap and attended International Quilt Market. A Block-of-the-Month quilt I’d created using mostly Moda fabrics caught their attention and I was asked to join the Moda Designer team the following market. That was almost 17 years ago. More than 50 fabric collections later, I still embrace the nature-inspired color palette and prints that are Kansas Troubles’ classics.
I’m continually learning and growing as a designer, developing more simplified ways to piece traditional quilt blocks using my Layered Patchwork technique. I enjoy sharing my quilts and methods with quilters all over the country, teaching at quilt guilds, shops and on cruises. What a delightful way to spend your life, surrounded by quilts and quilters!
- Moda Blockheads IIBlock #36 - Rolling Stone by Jo MortonThis week's block is a classic that creates an interesting secondary pattern and lots of movement in a quilt. I have an antique quilt in blues and white with this block and love it! Find Jo's blog and block instructions HERE.Be sure to... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads IIBlock #35 - Gibby by Laurie SimpsonLaurie offers a great filler block today with unlimited possibilities. My first instinct was to use a different color/print for every dark rectangle, but with my red/tan/navy theme, it was simpler to pick just a few fabrics. I don't know about you, but I'm... Read more »
- KT December SpecialSorry for the delay. I just realized this didn't auto-post on December 1st when it was scheduled. User error - again - no doubt. You still have time to take advantage of our KT December Special (see below). Don't miss it! Nature's Glory Fat 1/4 BundleMy latest fabric collection, Nature's... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads IIBlock #33 - Star Power by Stacy Iest HsuStacy brings us a star block with lots of energy and movement. Color choice and placement can make your block unique. I changed up the color placement to work better with a limited red/tan/navy palette. I love the way it turned out!Find... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads IIBlock #32 - X Quartet by Betsy ChutchianBetsy's double pinwheel is super cute and easy to piece. Another fun 6" block to add to the growing pile of interesting and delightful Blockheads II blocks. Even with all the happenings of the holiday weekend, it's totally doable in between turkey and... Read more »
- A few things...KT WinnerCongratulations to... Karen in OhioOn Meadowlark Pond fabrics are a beautiful coordinated collection. I would love to create several quilty projects for gifts for family and friends. Thank you, Happy Thanksgiving.Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, Karen. You're the winner of the On Meadowlark Pond... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads IIBlock #31 - Interstellar by Vanessa Goertzen of Lella BoutiqueThere's so much going on since market, I didn't have a chance to make Vanessa's out-of-this-world star block. At 6" x 6", it will be a fun challenge to frame the tiny star and practice my curved piecing. Okay, probably not.... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads II - Block #30Block #30 - Gaudi by Brigitte Heitland of Zen ChicI'm enjoying the mix of blocks in this round of Blockheads II. I think the final quilt will be really interesting with so many different types and sizes of blocks coming together. Brigitte instructs us to piece a stripe section and... Read more »
- KT November SpecialStars on a RollI love playing with Moda's precuts, whether it's Layer Cakes, charms or Jelly Rolls. Sometimes it's fun to use the stack/roll of assorted fabrics as a scrappy starting point for a quilt, but I often find the simpler the quilt, the better. Stars on a Roll is... Read more »
- Moda Blockheads II - Block #29Block #29 - Courthouse Step by Carrie NelsonHappy Halloween! We're off to Fall Market in Houston for a weekend of work/play with our fellow Moda designers. Don't miss a single week of Blockheads II. Go to the link below on the Moda Cutting Table blog for all the blocks so... Read more »