I took this as a challenge.
For the next few years, I made little quilts to sell and peddled my own patterns locally until I finally took the leap and attended International Quilt Market. A Block-of-the-Month quilt I’d created using mostly Moda fabrics caught their attention and I was asked to join the Moda Designer team the following market. That was almost 17 years ago. More than 50 fabric collections later, I still embrace the nature-inspired color palette and prints that are Kansas Troubles’ classics.
I’m continually learning and growing as a designer, developing more simplified ways to piece traditional quilt blocks using my Layered Patchwork technique. I enjoy sharing my quilts and methods with quilters all over the country, teaching at quilt guilds, shops and on cruises. What a delightful way to spend your life, surrounded by quilts and quilters!
- Announcing...KT & Friends Retreat 2020 As you read this, I'll just be returning home from Hamilton, MO, home of Missouri Star Quilt Co. Robert and I hosted another KT & Friends Retreat. Joining me again were my quilting buddies, Jenny Doan of Missouri Star, and Barb Groves and Mary Jacobsen… Read more »
- Milestones is coming soon!KT WinnerCongratulations to:Wanda Hall - I can't even tell you how much I LOVE these patterns! I LOVE KT fabrics and I indeed have a stash. I used it for the Moda Blockheads and I need to replenish now! Never enough KT fabric!! One of my favorite collections was Heartfelt… Read more »
- KT October SpecialKT October SpecialThis month, we celebrate fall with our Pumpkins Mini Table Treat kit & pattern. I love autumn and everything that goes with it - sweaters and boots, mums and dried wheat, apple pie and cider, and of course, pumpkins in all shapes and sizes. The kit includes fabric… Read more »
- I Can Make It ChallengeModa Schoolhouse Block ChallengeThis year at Spring Market, the over-active creative minds at Moda challenged us to make an 18" block with our newest charm pack. My block features my Milestones charm pack for a simple half square triangle block. It just happened to work out perfectly with the number… Read more »
- KT September SpecialBee-you-ti-full RunnerThe Milestones fabric collection will be here next month loaded with florals and prints in the full range of KT colors - reds, plums, blues, greens, golds, pumpkins, blacks & tans. It's the perfect companion to KT Favorites III and my 20 Years of KTQ Block-of-the-Month quilt.To celebrate 20… Read more »
- Moda Summer Charm Swap Week #6This week, Vanessa Goertzen, of Lella Boutique, shares her quilt using a charm pack from Lisa Bongean's wonderful red, white and blue collection. I'm a little partial to red/white/blue since my birthday falls on July 5th. I try to set aside time to make myself a little quilt each summer… Read more »
- Unpacking...and repackingKT WinnerFinally catching up after two weeks on the road. Congratulations to the winner of our Mini Table Treats 4-pack of patterns.Roxanne B. - Twice in PA this month and I will miss you. I would love to catch your layered technique workshop. I guess I'll just have to come… Read more »
- Moda Summer Charm Swap Week #5This week's charm swap challenge was for Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings. Barb & Mary of Me and My Sister Designs sent one of their charm packs to Lisa to do her magic. And she did! What an adorable little quilt for all of Lisa's ducklings (read grankids).Find Lisa's instructions… Read more »