Jo Morton is a quilt-maker, fabric designer, teacher, author, and lecturer. Her use of color, design and fine stitchery give her quilts the feeling of being made in the 19th Century. These quilt complement both the country and contemporary setting. Her work is included in private and public collections across the country.
Jo took her first quilting class in 1980 and in 1985 made her first quilt ‘made to look olde’. She also determined early on that if she ever hoped to make all the quilts she wanted to make, they would have to be smaller scale, and this small scale works perfectly in their 1929 small bungalow.
Jo presents re-creations of 19th Century antique quilts, imitating colors and styles of period pieces, using an antique quilt as a source of inspiration, she creates an interpretation – a quilt that might have been made in the 19th Century.
Jo sold her quilts at juried Folk Art Shows in Pennsylvania, Virginia and New England from 1988 through 2003.
Jo began publishing her quilt designs in 1995, and has self-published 22 books and numerous patterns. Jo also has offered a Jo’s Little Women Club available through participating Quilt Shops since 2003.
Jo’s quilts have been published in the following magazines: American Patchwork & Quilting, Quiltmania, Quiltmaker, Love of Quilting, Quilters Newsletter, McCall’s Quilting and Early American Life. She has appeared on HGTV’s Simply Quilts episode #603, and on Love of Quilting that airs on PBS episodes #1408 and #1805, she also taped The Quilt Show, episode #808, it airs on the internet via subscription.
Jo lives in Nebraska City with her husband Russ, and sweet kitty Chloe.
Visit www.JoMortonQuilts.com to learn more about Jo and see what else Jo has to offer.
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW – Block 46It is our most favorite day of the week – Wednesday! Hump Day, new block day, what else do you do on Wednesday? Maybe meet up with a friend for lunch day? We are enjoying a cold snap and snow this winter, some may call it frigid hovering around zero, but... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW – Block 42Our favorite day of the week – Wednesday! Hard to believe that next week when we post it will be after Christmas and looking forward to a New Year. Our BOW has been quite a journey, for me anyway, sharing blocks with you weekly, and learning to make some blocks I’ve... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads – the winner is . . .I thank you all for your comments the past few days, loved reading about your Christmas movie favorites. This morning I changed the header on my Blog to feature my ‘New Hope’ fabric bundle, probably should have done it earlier. I used the random number generator to select the winner . .... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW, Block 41 and a give awayOur most favorite day of the week . . . Wednesday!!!! I’m beginning to think someone slips in an extra Wednesday some weeks, they sure roll around fast. LOL First the question of the week: Do we make any Christmas presents, hummm, short answer for me is no. I guess I’ve reached... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW – Block 40Woo Hoo – once again our most favorite day of the week . . . . Wednesday! First the question for this week: Do you decorate with quilts for the Holidays? Are they color-themed, or do they include Holiday motifs. Remember it is old fashioned Jo answering this question – yes to... Read more »