Jo Morton is a quilt-maker, fabric designer, teacher, author, and lecturer. Her use of color, design and fine stitchery give her quilts the feeling of being made in the 19th Century. These quilt complement both the country and contemporary setting. Her work is included in private and public collections across the country.
Jo took her first quilting class in 1980 and in 1985 made her first quilt ‘made to look olde’. She also determined early on that if she ever hoped to make all the quilts she wanted to make, they would have to be smaller scale, and this small scale works perfectly in their 1929 small bungalow.
Jo presents re-creations of 19th Century antique quilts, imitating colors and styles of period pieces, using an antique quilt as a source of inspiration, she creates an interpretation – a quilt that might have been made in the 19th Century.
Jo sold her quilts at juried Folk Art Shows in Pennsylvania, Virginia and New England from 1988 through 2003.
Jo began publishing her quilt designs in 1995, and has self-published 22 books and numerous patterns. Jo also has offered a Jo’s Little Women Club available through participating Quilt Shops since 2003.
Jo’s quilts have been published in the following magazines: American Patchwork & Quilting, Quiltmania, Quiltmaker, Love of Quilting, Quilters Newsletter, McCall’s Quilting and Early American Life. She has appeared on HGTV’s Simply Quilts episode #603, and on Love of Quilting that airs on PBS episodes #1408 and #1805, she also taped The Quilt Show, episode #808, it airs on the internet via subscription.
Jo lives in Nebraska City with her husband Russ, and sweet kitty Chloe.
Visit www.JoMortonQuilts.com to learn more about Jo and see what else Jo has to offer.
- BlockHeads 2 – Block 36http://www.modafabrics.com/bh2_jm_rolling-stone.pdfGreetings – it’s that time again, time for the next BlockHeads block, #36. I’m an old fashioned quilter, maybe just ‘old’, LOL. I have problems with ‘flippy corners’ coming out the way I would like. So in Jo manner I refigured the cutting and sewing. I also used 3 fabrics instead... Read more »
- October 3, 2018, Moda BlockHeads2, Block23Our most favorite day of the week – Wednesday! I know many think of Wednesday as hump day, looking forward to the weekend. However, we quilters know that Wednesday is the best day of the week. I made a decision earlier this year to not go to Houston for Quilt Market and Festival,... Read more »
- Long Term Project – Triangle QuiltI was inspired by the cover quilt of Ladies Circle Patchwork Quilt in March 1986. LCPQ cover, March 1986, inspiration quilt Fast Forward 24 years (yes I know, sad isn’t it) to circa 2010, began sewing gobs of HST units, 8 identical units at a time, to make my version of this... Read more »
- Trivia, stuff, and . . . the road less traveledI’ve decided to share some ‘stuff’ with you all, of course feel free to delete. My first quilting class began in January 1980, it was a 14 week class (50 miles drive to Lincoln, Nebraska), once a week on Wednesday, making a Sampler Quilt. 14″ blocks, hand pieced, hand appliquéd, hand... Read more »
- BH2 – link correction for Block 10So sorry – seems I was missing a letter in the link, darn gremlins. Missing an ‘s’, I had duck and ducklings, needs to be ducks and ducklings. Please use this correct link: http://www.modafabrics.com/bh2_jm_ducks-and-ducklings.pdf Happy Sewing and have a great day! Jo ... Read more »
- August 8, my turn for BlockHeads 2, Block 10Greetings this fine Wednesday morning! Today is National Friendships Day. Quilters seem to form a special bond of sisterhood, we have more in common than quilting, but that is what brings us together. I’m happy I was not at the top of the BH2 list. ‘Hickory Road’ has arrived at the... Read more »
- BlockHeads 2 and Russ and Jo’s vacationWe took a driving vacation after Spring Quilt Market in Portland, OR. To accomplish this, we needed to drive to Portland, OR. We allowed 4 days instead of 3 for the drive, so we could enjoy our beautiful country through Wyoming, the NE corner of Utah, across lower Idaho into Oregon.... Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads BOWWednesday – – – is still our favorite day of the week! For now the fun news is that there is a BlockHeads 2 in the works. The original 6 BlockHeads will be participating, and hoping an additional BlockHead or two will join us. Just want you to know to stay tuned, takes... Read more »