Jo Morton is a quilt-maker, fabric designer, teacher, author, and lecturer. Her use of color, design and fine stitchery give her quilts the feeling of being made in the 19th Century. These quilt complement both the country and contemporary setting. Her work is included in private and public collections across the country.
Jo took her first quilting class in 1980 and in 1985 made her first quilt ‘made to look olde’. She also determined early on that if she ever hoped to make all the quilts she wanted to make, they would have to be smaller scale, and this small scale works perfectly in their 1929 small bungalow.
Jo presents re-creations of 19th Century antique quilts, imitating colors and styles of period pieces, using an antique quilt as a source of inspiration, she creates an interpretation – a quilt that might have been made in the 19th Century.
Jo sold her quilts at juried Folk Art Shows in Pennsylvania, Virginia and New England from 1988 through 2003.
Jo began publishing her quilt designs in 1995, and has self-published 22 books and numerous patterns. Jo also has offered a Jo’s Little Women Club available through participating Quilt Shops since 2003.
Jo’s quilts have been published in the following magazines: American Patchwork & Quilting, Quiltmania, Quiltmaker, Love of Quilting, Quilters Newsletter, McCall’s Quilting and Early American Life. She has appeared on HGTV’s Simply Quilts episode #603, and on Love of Quilting that airs on PBS episodes #1408 and #1805, she also taped The Quilt Show, episode #808, it airs on the internet via subscription.
Jo lives in Nebraska City with her husband Russ, and sweet kitty Chloe.
Visit www.JoMortonQuilts.com to learn more about Jo and see what else Jo has to offer.
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW – block 29Greetings! This weeks question is about – Machine Quilting – do you ever machine-quilt your own quilts? Basically the answer is NO, not shouting, but emphatic, they are always sent out for beautiful machine quilting! That said, I have MQ a handful of small/doll quilts over the years, straight lines only. I... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW – block 27Boy these fun posting days show up faster than once a week, I just know it! This weeks topic – Hand Quilting . . . do you HQ, yes!!! How frequently? sporadically, depends what else I have for handwork, because I ‘love’ handwork from hand-piecing, back-basting prep method for needle... Read more »
- 2017 Moda Blockheads BOW – block 27That special day of the week Wednesday, and that means a new block for you! It feels like Fall in the air here in SE Nebraska. Long jeans and a denim shirt day, really gorgeous weather to be outside! Pretty sure it will warm up again. Weather swings keep us on... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW – block 26Has been a busy week here, now missing my retreat friends. Time for another BlockHeads block, tomorrow is Wednesday, hump day and better yet the new block reveal. Don’t you love the variations you see from the other designers followed by all the other posts. Very inspiring that so many are... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW – Block 25Wednesday is hump day, and block 25 is the first one over the hump on our BlockHeads journey. Cool that we post on Wednesdays! This week we should share if we have figured out a setting for our blocks, or what would we change. I confess, I haven’t figured out a... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW – block 24Greetings, another special Wednesday for you. I sewed this block last week . . . because, I recently ordered a new computer, it arrived at the Apple Store in Omaha last week. I set an appointment and took my old iMac to the store on Friday, and paid them migrate the... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW – block 23Gosh, these special Wednesday’s roll around quickly, don’t they. Yea for us! Our topic this week is: favorite brand of rulers, and why? Mine favorite brand for basic cutting for quilts (I haven’t made clothes in years and years, this is much more fun) is Olfa Rulers, and they have been my... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW, block 22That special time of the week, and it is now August, the summer is flying by, people are involved in back to school shopping! Since this week is our sweet friend Jan Patek’s appliqué block, I don’t have much to say other than it was so fun to stitch this block! Besides... Read more »
- 3rd time’s a charm?Is this Friday the 13th? Gremlins seem to be messing with me and the computer, this is the corrected link to my Blog. http://jomortonquilts.com/jos_journal/ or better yet, try this link to the corrected ‘blog post’ that has the block link this morning: http://wp.me/p29gEq-1BX Maybe I need a new computer? This one seems possessed, it is... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW – Block 21 – updated with linkOops – the link is in this post, so sorry! Time flies, it is my week again! I double checked the topic of the week, “Do you put labels on your quilts”. Shocking but no, I do not sew a label to the back of my quilts. What I do is use a... Read more »