Jo Morton is a quilt-maker, fabric designer, teacher, author, and lecturer. Her use of color, design and fine stitchery give her quilts the feeling of being made in the 19th Century. These quilt complement both the country and contemporary setting. Her work is included in private and public collections across the country.
Jo took her first quilting class in 1980 and in 1985 made her first quilt ‘made to look olde’. She also determined early on that if she ever hoped to make all the quilts she wanted to make, they would have to be smaller scale, and this small scale works perfectly in their 1929 small bungalow.
Jo presents re-creations of 19th Century antique quilts, imitating colors and styles of period pieces, using an antique quilt as a source of inspiration, she creates an interpretation – a quilt that might have been made in the 19th Century.
Jo sold her quilts at juried Folk Art Shows in Pennsylvania, Virginia and New England from 1988 through 2003.
Jo began publishing her quilt designs in 1995, and has self-published 22 books and numerous patterns. Jo also has offered a Jo’s Little Women Club available through participating Quilt Shops since 2003.
Jo’s quilts have been published in the following magazines: American Patchwork & Quilting, Quiltmania, Quiltmaker, Love of Quilting, Quilters Newsletter, McCall’s Quilting and Early American Life. She has appeared on HGTV’s Simply Quilts episode #603, and on Love of Quilting that airs on PBS episodes #1408 and #1805, she also taped The Quilt Show, episode #808, it airs on the internet via subscription.
Jo lives in Nebraska City with her husband Russ, and sweet kitty Chloe.
Visit www.JoMortonQuilts.com to learn more about Jo and see what else Jo has to offer.
- fabric – time to confess or fess up?Ladies, just like you, I do shop for fabric in quilt shops. Yes I’m a fabric designer, but I like other designers lines and pieces too! That means I do buy fabrics produced by ‘other’ Fabric Companies. See I really am just like you. I love my fabric lines, and have made lots... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOWOf course the conversation continues . . . Some of us are ‘out of’ fabrics to be able to offer the great little bundles. Some have purchased the layer cakes – perfect solution! But hey, there is always good news! We designers keep designing new lines, don’t we, so we will be offering new... Read more »
- Update February 15th on 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOWFirst you ladies make me smile, some address notes to ‘staff’ at Jo Morton Quilts. Please let me introduce you to Chloe: Staff Most of the time Chloe can be found here resting, or curled up in one of the chairs around the house, she isn’t worth a darn in my office,... Read more »
- Update on Reflections bundles for our Moda 2017 BlockHeads BOWSorry to report, no more bundles will be available from Jo. I hired 3 friends, we cut 1632 sweet 16’s, sorted into stacks of 24, inserted in plastic bags all day Saturday so I can ship the orders tomorrow (Monday). We cut up what I had available for this project. I... Read more »
- 2017 Moda Blockheads BOW Reflections Starter packModa BOW Designers, Lynne, Jan, Betsy, Lisa, Jo and our 6th partner is the famous Carrie Nelson!2017 Moda Blockheads BOW Reflections by Jo Morton Starter pack is now available on my homepage at JoMortonQuilts.com! Limited quantities are available. Bundles will begin shipping next week. 2017 Moda BlockHeads Logo ... Read more »
- 2017 Moda BlockHeads BOW2017 Moda BlockHeads Logo Moda BOW Designers, Lynne, Jan, Betsy, Lisa, Jo and our 6th partner is the famous Carrie Nelson! This fun Block of the Week officially starts Wednesday March 8, Lynne of Kansas Troubles is the kick off designer. I know you want to sew along with us! I’ll have my bundles, like the... Read more »
- Jo’s Little Women’s Club 16 for 2017The ladies on the Jo Morton Stitchers Facebook Group are making tracks on their WIP/UFO lists. We enjoy seeing their finishes or the fact they moved a larger project forward. If you don’t have enough to do, check with your local or favorite quilt shop to join my JLW Club 16... Read more »
- ‘Simple Friendships’Seems Facebook isn’t taking my pushes from Instagram. There are other ways to get the word out . . . here are my quilts in our book. Kim has added appliqué to her projects, she is well know for doing that, this book has something for everyone! I know you will want to make some, make... Read more »
- Simple FriendshipsMy new book, co-authored with Kim Diehl, will be available in February 2017. I can’t wait for you all to see it. Martingale has once again presented our projects in such beautiful settings. I’m offering a pre-order of this new book for $30, shipping included. I’ll begin shipping your order as soon as... Read more »