Jen has been lucky in her life to have had two wonderful careers. Her first love was midwifery and she felt honoured to be included in life’s most precious every day miracles. She doesn’t know where her love of fabrics came from, her mother was not a sewer but she does know she has always been fascinated by colour and pattern. Like many she tried different crafts and stumbled into quilting over 30 years ago and there she has remained. An interest became an obsession which then became her career, including teaching and designing. She has owned quilt stores for 15 years and currently owns amitie Textiles in Melbourne Australia www.amitie.com.au and Instagram @amitie_textiles. The store offers an eclectic mix of fabrics including Japanese, Liberty of London, linens from Europe, french toiles and a wide collection of patchwork fabrics of course including Moda!!
She describes herself as a traditional quilter with a modern twist. Loves scrappy quilts and the more fabrics she can use in a single project the happier she is. In her perfect world she would hand stitch everything but with today’s busy lifestyle she does machine piece as well. Hand appliqué and quilting are among her favourite pastimes.
Jen is married and has 3 fabulous daughters Meg, Abby and Lucy who are by far her very best designs. She currently lives in Al Ain, Abu Dhabi UAE with her husband Richard who is working there. She has left the store in the capable hands of Lucy, her youngest daughter and the experienced staff. This has enabled her to spend more time expanding and developing her range of patterns, write her book “Quilt Lovely” which will be released in February 2015 and design her first line of fabric.
- Life from a different angleLast year Moda designers/families were asked to write about life in the weeks leading up to quilt market.My husband wrote mine and kept it relatively nice. Tonight I'm being real!!! I prepared a lovely dinner, and poured a glass of bubbles for making it through the day and crossing some things... Read more »
- The Splendid SamplerWelcome if you've arrived here as part of The Splendid Sampler. www.thesplendidsampler.com I'm so chuffed to be part of this amazing group of quilters. Thank you Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson for including me.For those who don't know, I'm one of those crazy hand stitchers. I can feel my blood pressure... Read more »
- Row, row, row your rowToday it's my/Betsys turn in the Moda all stars blog hop (technically it was the 26th)Last year I was super happy to be asked to be part of this great collaboration between Moda and Martingale. A book containing 24 rows and a selection of filler rows for you to create... Read more »
- Blog hopAll the good folk who participated in the making of rows are having some fun this week with a blog hopHere is the schedule for you to follow along18-JanBrenda Riddle Carrie Nelson http://brendariddle.blogspot.com/http://blog.modafabrics.com/19-JanCorey Yoder Janet Clarehttp://www.littlemissshabby.com/http://janetclare.co.uk/blog/20-JanMe & My Sister Barbara Brackmanhttp://www.meandmysisterdesigns.com/blog/http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/21-JanPat Sloan Edyta Sitarhttp://blog.patsloan.com/http://laundrybasketquilts.com/22-JanCamille Roskelley Kathy Schmitzhttps://www.instagram.com/thimbleblossoms/http://kathyschmitzstudio.blogspot.com/23-JanSweetwater Blackbird Designshttp://www.thesweetwaterco.com/?page_id=8853http://blackbird-designs.blogspot.com/24-Jan Anne Sutton Laurie Simpson http://bunnyhillblog.com/http://minickandsimpson.blogspot.com/25-Jan Lisa Bongean Joanna Figueroahttp://lisabongean.com/http://figtreequilts.typepad.com/26-JanBetsy Chutchian Jen Kingwellhttp://betsysbestquiltsandmore.blogspot.com/http://jenkingwelldesigns.blogspot.com/27-JanKate Spain Sandy Gervaishttp://katespain.com/http://piecesfrommyheart.net/28-JanKaari... Read more »
- Fun timesAugust and September saw me travelling to New Zealand and Norway.I so enjoyed both of these amazingly beautiful countries. Today I will pop on a few pics of NZFrom the snowy mountain tops to the rugged coast line.I visited 3 great stores Kitz n Thingz in Invercargill, Cottage Flair in... Read more »