Frances Newcombe – “Franny”
Jane Davidson – “QuiltJane”
To view more collections, click here.
I have loved fabrics and sewing for as long as I can remember. When I was 6 years old, I snuck into my mom’s closet with a pair of scissors and cut up one of her shimmering evening gowns to make doll dresses. When I was in 9th grade, I took a sewing class and was hooked for life.
I grew up in Los Angeles in the shadow of the film industry. My father has been a film composer for over 50 years. In many ways, sewing was an escape to a simpler life from the high-pressure world of show business.
After I graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design with a BFA in illustration, I returned home and began working in Broadcast Design for television. For over twenty years I have created on-air graphics, promos, and main titles for the Discovery Channel, TLC, E! Entertainment, Buena Vista Television, as well as all the major networks, CBS, ABC and NBC where I currently work.
After getting married, my husband and I moved to the foothill area above Los Angeles. It was there I discovered a wonderful local quilt shop. This rekindled my passion for sewing and quilting and I began collecting all kinds of fabrics — my husband would say at an alarming rate. We have one son, our miracle baby, and two little dogs.
For me, fabric design is the synthesis of every aspect of my life: sewing, painting, graphic design, collage and ultimately story-telling. Fabric design is simply another form of story telling. A good story causes us to escape our world for a moment – only to bring us back to it with a greater understanding of it, and hopefully helps us to live, love and appreciate it more.
Jane started quilting over 20 years ago by designing and hand piecing a queen sized quilt. Caught up in study and travel, it was not until 2010 did she rekindle her passion for quilting again.
“I love everything about quilting and the quilting industry. I am so inspired by the enthusiasm and creativity I see everyday.” A scientist at heart, Jane loves the engineering behind the quilt making process, the planning, the fabric selection, the designing and construction, and of course the quilting. She is always ready to challenge her skills when designing a new block or quilt.
These days you can find Jane in her studio running a professional long-arm quilting service, teaching, designing and planning her next publication.
- 1st baby food!!!! The best book for natural pureesI loved this book so much when I had my baby... I created this post years ago but never published it.I thought I would share that I made my baby his food and never bought store bought baby food. It is so easy to make your own baby food. All... Read more »
- FREE APPLIQUÉ PATTERN - Birthday BouquetToday for my birthday I am giving you a free appliqué block pattern!Click HERE OR on the picture above for your pattern. Materials:Bloomsbury Fabric collection fat quarters and scrapsCut Background 18.5 x 19.5 incheswash away appliqué sheets found HEREprint out the pdf and pattern on the appliqué sheets.Cut around the shapes and... Read more »
- FAT QUARTER SHOP GIVEAWAYI am hosting a giveaway of 2 Jolly Bars of my latestest fabric collection"Bloomsbury" for Moda!Follow me on instagram : francesnewcombe or paper and flower for art! Tag a friend and say what you like about the collection!Make some nice comments below!GO TO FAT QUARTER SHOP HERE TO PURCHASE THE... Read more »
- SPLENDID SAMPLER MY BLOCK: "SEWING NUT"When I was asked to do a block for the Splendid Sampler I was so honored. 80 designers were asked to design a block that shared the story behind why we love quilting and sewing.My block is called "Sewing Nut" it depicts -A Tale of a Little squirrels’ adventure ... Read more »
- QUILT MARKET 2016 SPRING SALT LAKE CITYBetter late than never! Is my new moto. I am finally posting pictures of quilt market spring 2016 Salt Lake City Utah and its now one month later. I am sorry it took so long to post however I needed some time to recover from what was a grueling schedule.... Read more »
- The Splendid SamplerHi Guys it's been a long time since I posted to my blog. But I wanted to tell you about a wonderful project created by Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson called the Splendid Sampler.It is a Mystery FREE quilt project of 100 6 inch finished blocks. Many techniques are involed and... Read more »
- Sewing for Boys, Just Keep Swimming, Moda Bake Shop and Jen Daly,I have always wanted to make this mini quilt from the Moda Bake shop!From Jen Daly who designed it here is her blog post:I love this quilt so much I had to make it for my little boy's room.I used Moda Zen Chic, collection called "Sphere" I bought the mini... Read more »
- Snapshots Quilt Along _block 1 _ Let Them Eat Cake!When I saw this block on instagram I knew I had to join! And I really wanted to see what this block looked like in My Cherie Fabric collection. And Voila! Here it is and my instincts were right! This adorable quilt along is hosted by Fat Quarter shop see... Read more »
- Utopia Projects mixed with Linen - ( Zakka Style )I found a bag that I loved on pintrest and had to make it. It is called The Ruby bag. There are a lot of bags called Ruby Bag so it was not easy to find. I finally found it on "I Think Sew"website HEREthey have such cute patterns and also... Read more »
- ‘Tis the SeasonIt’s a heatwave here in Brisbane and the agapanthus is blooming, sun is shining and the air-conditioning is on. Perfect pool and beach weather. This week I will be starting my first of many Christmas lunches with family and friends in two different states. It’s a great time of the... Read more »
- Spice up your bindingThere are so many great fabrics and techniques out there that can be used to make interesting bindings. I wanted to reflect the splashes of colour in my almost monochrome quilt so I cut an assortment of fabrics and made a piece of binding fabric approximately, 20″ x 42″.... Read more »
- Food and Fabric – Missing Market@gogokim and @thesewingloft hosted the recent #missingmarket event. I was lucky to be part of the fun so I thought I would use the tag #foodandfabric and prepare 3 dishes that went well with Moda fabrics. Breakfast Homemade baked beans (saute onion and garlic in olive oil, add finely... Read more »
- Toothless TerrorsThings that go bump in the night! My new pattern for Halloween – Toothless Terrors, is now available for download. This is a lap sized quilt with 13 (yes 13) cheeky pumpkins and is the perfect size for your lounge or wall to dress up the house for Halloween. Quilting:... Read more »
- Back to school blog hop – Making multiple scrappy HSTsToday is my day for the ‘Back to School Blog Hop – 2017’ hosted by the very talented Sam Hunter from Hunter Design Studio. There are so many patterns that use the humble half square triangle (HST) and I am always thinking of ways to make multiple units at a... Read more »
- Bloomsbury – Spring Market“Step into the world where time stands still. Drink a cup of tea, read a book, breathe in the aroma of a beautiful garden … let your imagination run free. The Bloomsbury Collection merges today’s modernism with the past influence of the Bloomsbury aesthetic in design, art, textiles and literature.... Read more »
- The Buds of MayThis month Pat and I have added the Buds of May block to add to your Splendid Sampler™ blocks. Visit The Splendid Sampler™ site to download the block pattern. I have turned my 6″ block into a square pouch. I used F8 bundle of the gorgeous Wonderland fabrics from Cotton and... Read more »
- The Splendid Sampler™ book has arrivedTwo large boxes arrived at my gate today full of Splendid Sampler™ books. If any Australians would like a copy of the book, I have limited stock of soft cover, signed books available now in my e-shop. Price includes shipping anywhere in Australia. US Customers can purchase the book here... Read more »