Frances Newcombe – “Franny”
Jane Davidson – “QuiltJane”
To view more collections, click here.
I have loved fabrics and sewing for as long as I can remember. When I was 6 years old, I snuck into my mom’s closet with a pair of scissors and cut up one of her shimmering evening gowns to make doll dresses. When I was in 9th grade, I took a sewing class and was hooked for life.
I grew up in Los Angeles in the shadow of the film industry. My father has been a film composer for over 50 years. In many ways, sewing was an escape to a simpler life from the high-pressure world of show business.
After I graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design with a BFA in illustration, I returned home and began working in Broadcast Design for television. For over twenty years I have created on-air graphics, promos, and main titles for the Discovery Channel, TLC, E! Entertainment, Buena Vista Television, as well as all the major networks, CBS, ABC and NBC where I currently work.
After getting married, my husband and I moved to the foothill area above Los Angeles. It was there I discovered a wonderful local quilt shop. This rekindled my passion for sewing and quilting and I began collecting all kinds of fabrics — my husband would say at an alarming rate. We have one son, our miracle baby, and two little dogs.
For me, fabric design is the synthesis of every aspect of my life: sewing, painting, graphic design, collage and ultimately story-telling. Fabric design is simply another form of story telling. A good story causes us to escape our world for a moment – only to bring us back to it with a greater understanding of it, and hopefully helps us to live, love and appreciate it more.
Jane started quilting over 20 years ago by designing and hand piecing a queen sized quilt. Caught up in study and travel, it was not until 2010 did she rekindle her passion for quilting again.
“I love everything about quilting and the quilting industry. I am so inspired by the enthusiasm and creativity I see everyday.” A scientist at heart, Jane loves the engineering behind the quilt making process, the planning, the fabric selection, the designing and construction, and of course the quilting. She is always ready to challenge her skills when designing a new block or quilt.
These days you can find Jane in her studio running a professional long-arm quilting service, teaching, designing and planning her next publication.
- SPLENDID SAMPLER MY BLOCK: "SEWING NUT"When I was asked to do a block for the Splendid Sampler I was so honored. 80 designers were asked to design a block that shared the story behind why we love quilting and sewing.My block is called "Sewing Nut" it depicts -A Tale of a Little squirrels’ adventure ... Read more »
- QUILT MARKET 2016 SPRING SALT LAKE CITYBetter late than never! Is my new moto. I am finally posting pictures of quilt market spring 2016 Salt Lake City Utah and its now one month later. I am sorry it took so long to post however I needed some time to recover from what was a grueling schedule.... Read more »
- The Splendid SamplerHi Guys it's been a long time since I posted to my blog. But I wanted to tell you about a wonderful project created by Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson called the Splendid Sampler.It is a Mystery FREE quilt project of 100 6 inch finished blocks. Many techniques are involed and... Read more »
- Sewing for Boys, Just Keep Swimming, Moda Bake Shop and Jen Daly,I have always wanted to make this mini quilt from the Moda Bake shop!From Jen Daly who designed it here is her blog post:I love this quilt so much I had to make it for my little boy's room.I used Moda Zen Chic, collection called "Sphere" I bought the mini... Read more »
- Snapshots Quilt Along _block 1 _ Let Them Eat Cake!When I saw this block on instagram I knew I had to join! And I really wanted to see what this block looked like in My Cherie Fabric collection. And Voila! Here it is and my instincts were right! This adorable quilt along is hosted by Fat Quarter shop see... Read more »
- Utopia Projects mixed with Linen - ( Zakka Style )I found a bag that I loved on pintrest and had to make it. It is called The Ruby bag. There are a lot of bags called Ruby Bag so it was not easy to find. I finally found it on "I Think Sew"website HEREthey have such cute patterns and also... Read more »
- Out for a Stroll quilt by Melissa CorryThis Amazing Quilt is called Out For A Stroll. I cant tell you how much I am in love with this.Melissa Corry of "Happy Quilting designed and made this and has an incredible tutorial to go with it!Thank you so much Melissa for designing and making this awesome quilt!PLEASE VIEW... Read more »
- Halloween CARDBOARD haunted house made from cardboard boxesThis weekend my son and I had a blast making this little halloween center piece out of Saltine crakerbox and Gram cracker, and granola boxes. First we contructed the house by taping the boxes together using masking tape.We drew where we wanted the doors and windows would go. The turret was made... Read more »
- Miss Rosie’s Farmhouse Favourites’12 captivating scrappy quilts’ absolutely describes these alluring quilts featured in Carrie Nelson’s new book – Miss Rosie’s Farmhouse Favorites. Packed with 12 fabulous quilt patterns that will use up your scrap fabric in no time. These quilts all have happy memories for Carrie. Mementos of her journey as a quilter,... Read more »
- Morning Glory Sew-a-longDesigned by Jocelyn Ueng, www.ItsSewEmma.com Join the team at the Fat Quarter Shop as they introduce their new pattern – Morning Glory, made with the gorgeous Sunday Drive fabrics by Pat Sloan for Moda. This is Pat’s seventh collection for Moda. Read about it at Pat’s blog. Visit Pat’s blog Morning Glory is... Read more »
- Moda Bella ChallengeAre you up for a challenge using 12 Bella solids? To celebrate the 15th anniversary of Bella Solids, Moda is hosting a quilt competition with some pretty amazing prizes. All the details can be found here. Entry form can be downloaded here. To help select the perfect matching Aurifil thread use the list... Read more »
- The Splendid Sampler Celebration GiveawayOne year ago, Pat Sloan and I launched the Splendid Sampler™. To celebrate this quilt-storic event we are having a giveaway. There are some great prizes up for grabs from our sponsors and designers. Visit each of their sites to join in. To enter the competition visit our Splendid Sampler site and... Read more »
- Jacob’s Ladder Fun Sew AlongAs part of the “Classic and Vintage” series, Fat Quarter Shop are releasing their Jacob’s Ladder pattern. An oldie but a goodie! I love the pattern a group of blocks make. This quilt has endless fabric options – scrappy, two-tone, reverse the background and foreground fabrics …. A great beginner block. Grab a... Read more »
- It’s all about LoveValentine’s Day is fast approaching and that means quilters everywhere will be sharing the love. It’s school cricket on Saturday’s for the next 10 weeks so I’m planning small projects to fill in the hours. The pillow finishes at 18″ x 18″ and is made using Basic Grey Grunge (30150-101... Read more »
- A day in the life of a quilter – from screen to marketHow many of us wake up every morning and say, ” I love my job?” I do. I work hard and have fun at the same time, enjoying something I am very passionate about. Quilting for me is a full-time profession and I manage to fit it in around my... Read more »
- Merry Christmas and Happy New YearImage courtesy of www.thegraphicsfairy.com Wishing everyone Peace, Love and Joy throughout the Holy days. Thank you for supporting me during 2016, fuelling my passion for quilting and helping me to wake up each day saying, “This is the best job ever!”. I feel 2017 is going to be a great year full of... Read more »