“My love of working – playing really – with fabric and threads began when I was a little girl and learned how to embroider. I had seen table covers and doilies that my Mom had from her Mom and Grandma. I felt such a sense of belonging as I was also learning to do the variety of pretty stitches, I could sit & stitch for hours!”
“Then there were the beautiful patchwork quilts that my grandmas had made that Mom kept on the higher shelves in the linen closet. They were a little higher than I could reach but I would always take a peek at them whenever I was asked to get something for my Mom from the lower shelves or when putting away the towels while “helping’” my Mom fold the laundry. (True confession… I still like the process of folding laundry.) The quilts were saved for special occasions, when snuggling and comfort was especially needed – like a cold or just those times when my Mom knew that getting cuddled while wrapped in one of the quilts would help make everything little better. She was so right, they still have that effect on me.”
After 22 years working in the architecture, design and teaching fields, Brenda decided to follow her own design dreams and she started Acorn Quilt & Gift Company. She initially focused on quilts, but over the years she has added designs reflecting her love of embroidery and counted cross-stitch under the name “Brenda Riddle Designs”.
Majoring in environmental and graphic design, Brenda worked in the interior design field in Santa Barbara, California and Minneapolis, Minnesota. She now lives in Oro Valley, Arizona, where she loves to spend much of her free time designing quilts and needlework, and designing fabrics for Moda.
“I love to bring my ‘little acorn’ philosophy to my designs – ‘from little acorns. . . mighty oaks grow’. To me, that means that every project is essentially accomplished in the same manner – no matter how simple or complicated – it is simply taking those little steps, that adds up to our true ‘works of heart’.”
- :: ChangesIt’s been awhile... I know. A few posts ago (when there had been quite a spell between my postings), I apologized & promised that I would be posting more, & more often. But then, ... Life. Life has become increasingly more complicated over the last few years - & so recently, with one... Read more »
- :: Thank you Billy GrahamFor quite some time...(about 20 or so years...) I have dreaded the day that the news would announce that Billy Graham had died. That day happened on Wednesday (February 21) this past week. While my heart soared with joy in knowing he was in the presence of the Lord (... & what... Read more »
- :: and the winner is....Congratulations to... cpentzer!! You have won the eBook of 'All in a Row Again'!!! Thank you to everyone who played along with our giveaway... it was such a blessing to read all the things you are grateful for. (I wanted for each of you to win!!!) Don't forget to visit the other... Read more »
- :: All in a Row blog-hop!!Once again, I have the privilege of being a part of the second of the 'All in a Row' books that the Martingale publishers & Moda have partnered to create. And once again... it's a wonderful book filled with rows & rows of ideas & inspiration for quilts, table-runners, & projects... Read more »
- :: This 'little man' of mine...It never fails... ... that when I end up deciding to skip a Quilt Market... (& just when I might want to feel a little sorry for myself)... I always end up glad that I was at home.... This time - it's no different. Market is going on in Houston this weekend (along with the... Read more »
- :: Hopscotch... (& falling down...)One of the games I loved to play in grade school was hopscotch. I loved all the parts of it... getting a 'marker' (the item you tossed into a square)... my favorite was a little ball chain with a charm attached (to give it just the right amount of weight so... Read more »