Dessert is being served…

I hope you’ve heard the adage, “Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.”  It’s one of my favorites.

While I can no longer eat sweets the way I used to, I still love a good dessert of any kind – of every kind.  So it stands to reason that when it came to making a case for which pre-cuts should be included in the Color Cuts, I was all over the Dessert Cuts.

The what?  A Dessert Cut or Dessert Roll is a Moda pre-cut term for a roll of strips measuring 5″ x 42″ width of fabric.  It’s like a really fat Jelly Roll.  The Dessert Rolls done with designer collections include just twenty pieces, or twenty different fabrics.  For the Dessert Cuts, each roll has twelve different fabrics selected from as many as five different designer collections, all in a compatible color grouping.

One of the ideas behind the creation of the Color Cuts was to make it easy to build a little stash of a particular color, or add something different to a designer collection pre-cut.  And really, isn’t this the perfect starting point for a scrap quilt?

Each of the Color Cut colors has a name because yellow, pink and green just wouldn’t do for something that’s this much fun.  So from left to right on the bottom row – Lemon Drop / Road Trip / Sprouts / Beach Glass.  The top row is Daybreak and Sugar On Top.

So now that we have all these pretty fabrics – seventy-two of them – what to make?  I confess that a single project using just the fat quarters – the Quarter Cuts – never really had a chance because that would be eighteen yards of fabric.  The layer cakes – Cake Cuts – were considered and a few ideas sketched out, but those were tossed as being uninspired and unimaginative.  Seriously, they really were “nothing special”.  So what about Dessert – the Dessert Cuts?

If you’ve ever entertained the notion that “designing” a quilt is a wildly creative, fabric flying and sewing machines whirring sort of process… I still haven’t experienced that.  It always seems to have more to do with paper, pens or pencils, and a calculator.   A couple of block books will also be required.  If you’re really lucky, you’ll have help from a very talented and creative collaborator.

So what kind of pieces can you cut from a 5″ strip?  And how many different blocks?

More than I would have guessed.

This is the Dessert Sampler – it measures 72″ x 78″.

When the fabrics from the various collections finally arrived last Fall, sample Dessert Cuts were cut for photography.

Then I started making notes for the pattern, checking the fabric calculations and making sure everything worked.  With the 5″ size, I decided to use a couple of Moda’s Cupcake Mix Recipes to piece the blocks and block parts.

The first of two Dessert Sampler quilts was made.  Then a second because these quilts will be doing some traveling in the coming months.  As for the kit… that meant a bit more waiting.  Making Dessert takes time!

But the news has arrived that the Dessert Sampler is ready!  The pattern was finished a few weeks ago and it has been printed.  (I’ve heard that it looks great.)  The Dessert Cuts arrived from the mill and the kits were packaged, and if the rumors are true, shipping has begun!   It’s time for Dessert!

A well-known modern shop has jumped on board to organize a sew-along, and we hope to participate, either with the same fabrics or something different.  But we definitely want to join the fun.

Because really… it’s Dessert.  How perfect is this?

This Dessert Sampler quilt was pieced by Tammy Vonderschmitt and quilted by Teresa Silva of Quilting is my Bliss.

So if you’ve been waiting for Dessert – for this Dessert Sampler – it’s on the way!

Happy Friday!

Jump to Leave us a Comment

27 comments on “Dessert is being served…

1. Judy C says:

Love this. Is there a kit available?

2. Gail Straka says:

These are great!! The names made them even more special – very creative!

3. paulette says:

The names are inspiring for sure – can’t wait for the arrival of the ‘Sampler’:) it looks so enticing to make – along with all the other projects I am doing!

4. Marti Morgan says:

I love learning the blocks, but the quilt gets too busy for my taste. I think the C.O.L.O.R. cuts are great, size wise, and color coordinated.

5. stephanie woodward says:

I love all the beautiful colors Looks great to me.

6. Tammy says:

LOVE the dessert bundle concept…when and where can I get some? Must do a taste testing!!!:)

• Carrie says:

Hi Tammy – If one of your local quilt shops doesn’t have this on its way already, a Google search will turn up several options. Especially now that it’s started shipping.

7. Virginia says:

How can we purchase the kit?

• Pris Phillips says:

There’s a link above (in the main post) to a modern quilt shop that’s doing a quilt-along. I clicked on it and found that you can preorder the quilt kit through them if you like.

8. Pris Phillips says:

I agree, taste testing is needed!! Love the concept!! The quilt is beautiful, Carrie! Did you make the first one? (I’m assuming this one, made by Tammy V was the second one made?) I find what you do fascinating! So glad you joined the Moda team! ❤️

• Carrie says:

Hi Pris – No, if I remember correctly, the first quilt was made by Sarah Huechteman. She’s super-fast and super-accurate – the perfect pattern tester, especially when using my “sloppy copy” notes.

Is the Dessert Sampler also available as pattern only? I would love to use my own fabrics not a kit because I don’t like yellow at all.

10. Mary says:

I love this idea!

11. Susie Q says:

And where does one find these? Not your local quilt shop they have plenty of other products for variety and are not able to carry MORE.

12. Rebecca S. says:

Will the pattern be available without the kit? I would love to make this with just two or three of the dessert cut colors.

• Carrie says:

Hi Rebecca – Yes. It may not have arrived in shops yet, or be listed in online shops, but the pattern for the Dessert Sampler Quilt is being sold as a stand-alone pattern.

13. Judy Chastain says:

It’s so pretty! I can’t focus on WIPs if you all keep tempting us with beautiful new projects!

14. Barbara Esposito, The Quilted B says:

How wonderfully delicious these are! I would love to get my fat little fingers on some!

15. Penny says:

Dessert is always worth waiting for but I can hardly wait!

16. Ronna H says:

Love the sampler pattern designed to use thesevperfect 5” cuts! Can’t to get my order in.
    Thank Carrie for another wonderful, entertaining newsletter!!

17. Mary Ann says:

Where can I buy just these Dessert Cuts?? I love Moda products and especially the precuts. I started out buying Moda precuts when they first came out with 5″ squares in those tins!!! survivor972002@midco.net

18. Stephani in N. TX says:

Bootiful, bountiful; Moda does it again with the new Dessert Cuts. Have seen the announcement in quilting magazines and thought they were a good idea. The inspired quilt is busy for me, but looks to be a perfect vehicle for the whole idea of Dessert Cuts, and it is lovely. Love the prospect of filling in colors I need for a quilt, or the variety of designers collections. Thinking, thinking, thinking…

19. Jeanne says:

So excited to get my hands on some of these!!

20. Deanna says:

I agree with an earlier comment that the quilt is too busy. The fabrics are pretty though and I’m sure I could find something to make with them!

We love to hear from you...