Checking my list…

Are you checking your list?  National – International! – Sew A Jelly Roll Day is in a month and if you don’t have a plan, it’s time to get one!

Spools 2 by Camille Roskelley of Thimbleblossoms – made with Bonnie & Camille’s “coming to a shop new you any day now” collection, The Good Life.  It’s a Jelly Roll pattern.  This would be a good plan.

September 16th.  Saturday.  All day.  Have you marked the date on your calendar?  That’s the first thing to get done.

Wait!  There are other things to do first.  I know… this is the best part.  But we need to get a plan first!

Before we start worrying about fabric, patterns and snacks, are you going to sew at a shop, with your guild, with friends or by yourself?  If you want to find a participating shop, there is a list here – NSAJRD Shop Locator.

Did you now there’s a website – Project Jelly Roll?

If you don’t have a shop in your area, you can arrange for a sew-in with some of your jelly-rolling friends!

To help you plan, we’ve created an Event Planning Checklist for Participants!  (Please note that snacks is as important a topic as fabric, patterns, sewing machines and supplies!)

Click Here for the Event Planning Checklist for Participants.

Because there will be fun-and-games involved whether you’re at a shop, sewing with friends or joining us for some online fun, there are a few Jelly Roll facts that it would be useful to know… just in case it should come up.

This is Kith & Kin by Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique, a Jelly Roll quilt made with her upcoming Farmer’s Daughter collection.  (It will be in shops in October.)

So here are a few Jelly rolls facts to know:

• The first Jelly Roll – or collection of 2-1/2″ pre-cut strips – was born in Dallas, Texas in September of 2006.  (It has been a registered trademark of Moda Fabrics for many years.)
  • A Jelly Roll contains 40 strips measuring 2-1/2″ x 45″.  (Jelly Rolls are offered for most Moda collections but not all.  They are also available in a range of Bella Solids and Grunge.)
  • Junior Jelly Rolls have 20 strips measuring 2-1/2″ x 45″.  They are most commonly available for smaller collections and for Basics like Bella Solids and Grunge.
  • There are approximately 140 feet of fabric in a Jelly Roll.
  • It takes just under 38 Jelly Rolls to make a mile of fabric.

[Shhh… new collections that are showing to shops.  More later.  Soon.]

Tips for working and sewing with Jelly Rolls:

• Use a lint brush or roller over the raw-edge sides of the Jelly Roll before unwrapping it to minimize the fluffy lint that will otherwise cover everything!
  • Iron the strips flat before sewing – especially the fold!
  • Use a bit of steam – as in GET STEAMED!  Steam helps realign the fibers, and they will relax and lose the curl that is left after they’ve been rolled so tightly for a little while.
  • Save leftover Jelly Roll strips for scrappy binding and string quilts.
  • Seam allowance – pick a point where you’re going to line up the edge of the jelly roll strip and stay consistent!  Measure the width of your strip sets before you cross-cut strips, squares, sashings or other adjoining pieces.

There is more to share so get ready… we’ve got one month!

Oh! And if you’re on Instagram and you love Jelly Rolls, post a picture of your favorite Jelly Roll, Jelly Roll pattern or Jelly Roll quilt and use the hashtag #projectjellyroll by midnight on Sunday… somebody is going to get a headstart on a National Sew A Jelly Roll Day project.

Happy Friday!

16 comments on “Checking my list…

1. Janice says:

I think I’m going to be using some of mine to make a few quilts for our local Children’s Hospital. They can always use some help. This is going to be a great day!

2. amq97 says:

Sounds like fun! I just finished “On Point” from The Midnight Quilt Show with Angela Walters. I used Pat Sloan’s Home Town Girl jelly roll by Moda with three different greys for the background. The binding is complete. Now working on the sleeve and label. Will hang it in our master bedroom. Allison Bayer, Plano, Texas

3. Marianne says:

Those shops are heavy on the Texas, light on the Oklahoma, and nowhere near me! Hah! I do plan on sewing along. I’ve many patterns to choose from.

4. Larrie Turner says:

Where can I purchase the pattern shown in the Farmers Daughter fabric line?

I’m marking my calender for the Jelly Roll Day!

6. Barbara Esposito, The Quilted B says:

Rollin’, Rollin’, Rollin’! keep those Jelly’s rollin’! Got me some Kate Spain Early Bird Jelly Rolls and my machine just came back from her annual checkup! I.AM.READY!

7. Joy Dickson says:

Love Jelly Rolls. Have Started quite a collection.

8. Phyllis Brown says:

Love the Spools 2 pattern. Is it available for sale?

Hi Phyllis – Yes, Spools 2 is a pattern by Camille Roskelley of Thimbleblossoms. If your local quilt shop doesn’t stock it, you should be able to find it online with a search for “Thimbleblossoms Spools 2”. I believe it is also available as a PDF Download.

• Diane W says:

Yes its available pdf through thimbleblossoms. I bought it. Patiently waiting for the good life line to come out. Plant to ise it with the spools 2 pattern.

9. I am also wondering (DYING TO KNOW) where I can get the Spools 2 pattern shown above. I think it would be a perfect pattern to use for my #jellyrollproject quilt! After procuring the pattern, hopefully free (hint! hint!) my next project would be to decide which of my many jelly rolls to use! I’ve collected quite a few, with the best of intentions to USE for a project. Instead they’ve become a collection of beloved decorations that I love to pick up and fondle, and rearrange on the shelf LOL time to bust one of these jewels open!

Unwrapping the Jelly Rolls! Why is that so hard to do – I sometimes think I need two, one to use and one to keep looking pretty on the shelf. Except two on the shelf is so much prettier than just one… so now I need three?!? LOL

Spools 2 is a pattern by Camille Roskelley of Thimbleblossoms – the Camille of Bonnie & Camille. If your local quilt shop doesn’t stock the pattern, it can be purchased from dozens of online shops, either as a paper pattern or as a PDF Download.

• Sandy Long says:

LOL right? Although I have to say that unwrapping a jelly roll is one of the most fun things to do. It’s almost magical (cue violins and angels singing)! But, yes, a second jelly roll to add to the decoration collection would make the unwrapping experience a little less anxiety-provoking! LOL!
        Thank you so much for the info on where to find the Spools 2 pattern. I have a hard and fast rule about not buying patterns because there are SO MANY available for free everywhere you look. But what are rules made for, if not to be broken? This one is so cute and unique that I see a pattern purchase in my near future! Thank you again!!!

10. Maureen Livingston says:

I love both of the jelly roll patterns shown here! Of course, I love all the precuts that Moda has.

11. Maureen Livingston says:

Carrie,

On another subject, I would like to enlarge Snow Goose into Queen size because I love it so much. How would you suggest doing it so it keeps it’s charm?

Sorry to bug you here, but I didn’t know how to get in touch with you.

Maureen,

12. Gwen Malinowski says:

I ❤ jelly rolls! I’m all in for National Sew A Jelly Roll Day. I will be working on a quilt to donate to Honor Flight Chicago. They raise funds to send our veterans to Washington DC to view the war memorials. My quilt will be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

We love to hear from you...