Blockheads ~ Block 23

According to some folks in Houston, Texas, the lazy, hazy, crazy days – day – of summer is this Saturday, August 12th.  That’s the day of a 5K race… or lazy stroll.  Houston in August.  It will be hot and humid.

[Image from 1Canoe2 Instagram.]

Saturday is also National Sewing Machine Day – which would make it the perfect day for making Block 23 of the Blockheads.  Except it seems like everybody wants the pattern now so they can make it right away!  Are you like that?

UPDATE:  Some “national calendars” have National Sewing Machine Day observed on June 13th while others have it on August 12th.  Since I think every day should be Sewing Machine Day… we’re going to . celebrate both!

Today is Lisa Bongean’s day – though I’m sure you’d never have guessed that after looking at these 1-1/2” finished four-patches.

The block above is Tammy’s version of Winnecone Star. The orange fabric is from Harvest Hill by Lynne Hagmeier of Kansas Troubles, and the background and star fabrics are from Oak Grove Lane by Kathy Schmitz. (Harvest Hill will be in shops in October and Oak Grove Lane will be there in November.)

CLICK HERE for the link to Lisa’s blog and Block 23 – Winnecone Star.

This is my blue Reproduction version – fabrics are from Rachel Remembered by Betsy Chutchian, Alice’s Scrapbag by Barbara Brackman and Snowberry by 3 Sisters.

My Fig Tree & Co. block uses fabrics from the Farmhouse and Chestnut Street collections.

Question of the Week ~ What is your favorite brand of rulers?  Why do you prefer that one?

While I am sure that I have at least one ruler in my “collection” from every manufacturer e.v.e.r., my favorite rulers are the Olfa Frosted. I have at least one in every size they make – and multiples of a few of them. (They don’t make that many sizes so that’s not as bad as it sounds.)

They are my favorite because they have thin, black lines, minimal markings and the “frosted” finished on the underside seems to reduce glare. Basically, they’re not all cluttered up with extra-stuff that I don’t need or want. Numbers in circles, numbers reminding me of 1/8” markings… it all just gets in the way to me.

I have to tell you that when the rulers were introduced, my first reaction was “yeah, whatever…” But I filled out a questionnaire from the nice folks at Olfa at Quilt Market and a few weeks later, I received their new Quick-Change Rotary Cutter (another “yeah, whatever…” product reaction…) and a 6” x 12” Frosted Ruler. Since I had them, I might as well try them, right?

Hooked. Both were instantly my favorites. Extras purchased. “Old favorites” relegated to drawers and eventually, donation bins. While I will still enjoy trying new rulers and have added a few “non Olfa Frosted” to rulers I use frequently, these are my favorite.

Not because they’re the best but because they’re the rulers that work best for me and my idiosyncrasies.

Just in case you missed it – CLICK HERE for the link to Lisa’s blog and Block 23 – Winnecone Star.

Don’t forget that there is a Blockheads Archive with links to all of the published blocks and blog posts.

That’s it for today, August 9.  Be sure to visit Jo, Lynne, Betsy and Jan to see their blocks and what other good things they might have made:

Don’t miss seeing the blocks being posted to #modablockheads on Instagram and Facebook. If you’re not already a member, you can also join the fun in the Moda Blockheads Facebook group.  It’s a busy group with folks sharing tips, suggestions and support.

Happy Blockhead Wednesday!

11 comments on “Blockheads ~ Block 23

1. Alycia Maurer says:

I love your blocks. So pretty! I use CG rulers primarily. But I do have a couple of OmniGrid. One of which has a stopper at the top of it to help prevent slipping down on the mat when you cut.

2. Diana Lentz says:

I love t he Creative Grid Rulers! The tiny blocks requires accuracy so the 1/8 inch marks are a must plus I like the fact they don’t slide around. I’m excited Lisa is coming out with new sizes for the Creative Grid Rulers.

3. My favorite ruler is a 2/12 ” x6″….it was a gift from a quilt shop in Kansas …I would be heartbroken to lose it!

4. Sally says:

I’m pretty sure National Sewing Machine Day is June 13.
    I really like the Creative Grids but use other ones too

Some “national calendars” have National Sewing Machine Day observed on June 13th while others have it on August 12th.  Since I think every day should be Sewing Machine Day… we’re going to . celebrate both! 🙂

5. Gail S says:

I have a 6 1/2 x 12 1/2″ ruler that was my favorite. That’s because the extra 1/2 inch is very lightly colored blue – still clear and easy to see through, but blue. I never cut the wrong size because of the 1/2″ markings. It was made by Gingher, some years ago. I guess they don’t make rulers anymore. Unfortunately, the lines are wearing off the back, and it’s too hard to get accurate cuts now. I can’t find a substitute that I like.

I love your blocks!
    My favorite ruler is by Omnigrip 8.5″ x 12″ it’s just good for everything. I love to have an all-in-one ruler.

7. Greg says:

Love that blues combination! I MUST get to work on a blue and white quilt! My 3 must-have rulers are Omnigrip 6×12 for basic cutting, Omnigrip 6″ square that I use to square nearly every HST that I sew, and the MIni Fit to Be Geese (I lost the cutting instructions and just bought a new one this week). And I use an Omnigrip 6×24 for border work. They all have just enough lines, but not too many to confuse me!

8. Margaret Morris says:

Hi Carrie – Thank you so much for the Blog, and all the helpful information and patterns – I really love the Blockheads – a great way to improve skills. Could you please advise if there is a problem with the Bake Shop * my computer gives me two separate messages “the site is temporarily unavailable” and “this domain is Invalid”. I am a great fan of Moda fabrics and as a relatively novice quilter I appreciate all the ideas I can get – hence my love of the Bakeshop and the awesome patterns and advice. Thank you again from one of your many Aussie supporters.

9. Elizabeth says:

I agree about the frosted rulers; however, I recently found the Quilter’a Select brand (Alex Anderson), and those rulers RULE! They share the same frosted quality and good, clear visibility, but they have a non-slip back that feels slightly tacky and actually works. I have been replacing all of my rulers and love their rotary cutter as well.

We love to hear from you...