Blockheads ~ Block 21

We’re more than one-third of the way through… gaining on one-half.  That’s 10/24ths?  5/12ths!

It’s hot here so yes, it’s easy to get a little “loopy”.

It’s Jo’s turn with the Blockheads today – and Jo loves Flying Geese!  She used to make them the very old-fashioned way, then the no-waste method.  Rumor has it that she’s become a Bloc-Loc Flying Geese Ruler girl… but more about that some other time.

That’s Flying Geese Variation a la Fig Tree & Co.Farmhouse style.  I may have played with the color placement a bit – and I think I need to re-do that one side.  Later, right?

This is Tammy’s block –

The fabrics are Bramblewood by Betsy Chutchian for the light print, Little Gatherings II by Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings for the dark and Hazel & Plum by Fig Tree for the background.

After really liking how the little bit of red looked in the flag block a few weeks ago, I’ve decided to start adding a little bit of color to a few of the blue Reproduction blocks.  This block includes fabrics from Snowberry by 3 Sisters, Rachel Remembered by Betsy Chutchian and Independence Trail by Minick & Simpson.

CLICK HERE for the link to Jo’s blog.

And since the link to the block is missing/not working, here is the link to the – Block 21 – Flying Geese Variation

Because I’m going to need a few extra blocks for my setting and I love flying geese, I made a variation of Jo’s variation that includes half-triangle squares in the corners.

This block includes fabrics from Snowberry by 3 Sisters, Alice’s Scrapbag by Barbara Brackman and Miss Scarlet by Minick & Simpson.

And…

Oops!  I think a little un-stitching will be required for this block.  As for the prints, they’re from Farmhouse by Fig Tree & Co. and one of my favorite backgrounds, the circle dot from the upcoming Ann’s Arbor by Minick & Simpson.

I also have to share this block with you – it’s by David Schulz, a lovely gentleman and quilter from Australia.  (I know – men quilt!  Who knew?!?)

The parts and pieces are the same, the lights and darks in the geese have just been reversed, and the center is a plain square.  The fabrics are from Ann’s Arbor by Minick & Simpson – isn’t this collection gorgeous?

Question of the Week ~ Do you put labels on your quilts?

I do!  I’ve been pretty faithful about putting labels on my quilts for more than fifteen years.  I started putting labels on my quilts when I was asked to teach in a shop where the owner was passionate about quilt history, documentation and labels on quilts.  As the founder of the Arizona Quilt Guild and the driving force behind an Arizona quilt documentation program, Laurene Sinema of The Quilted Apple believed that every quilt needed a label.  So I started putting labels on my quilts.

But… I have to tell you, sewing a little 3″ x 6″ rectangle on the back of my quilt didn’t hold much appeal.  That seemed like a whole lot of work… so I went with something easier, faster and more “me”.

I piece a panel using leftover blocks, parts and blank squares or rectangles, and it is pieced into the quilt backing.  My quilt labels also include a quotation – a long-time favorite or something I’ve recently run across.  The quotes are from literature and poetry, great speeches or the comics – one of my favorites is by Charlie Brown.  (Sometimes I lie awake at night and ask myself “where have I gone wrong?”  Then a voice says to me “…this is going to take more than one night.”)

If I’m short on time or don’t have many leftover pieces, I will machine-stitch on a square or rectangle for the label.  My “information” always includes the name I’ve given my quilt, my name – and whether it was for Miss Rosie’s, the name of the quilter and the year.  Some labels include the city and state – it depends on how much room I have.  If I have leftover blocks, I turn the edges under 1/4″ and machine-stitch those to the backing too.

Labels are always attached to the backing before quilting so that it becomes part of the quilt.  I used to have all my quilts appraised when they were doing more traveling – with or without me.  The appraiser was a passionate advocate for labeling quilts and she told me that having the label quilted into the quilt made it more permanent, and should a quilt ever be “borrowed without permission”… it would ruin the quilt to remove the label.  It also made my quilts “unique to me”… whatever that meant.

So yes, I put labels on my quilts.  And so should you!

Just in case you missed it – CLICK HERE for the link to Jo’s Block 21 – Flying Geese Variation.

That’s it for today, July 26.  Be sure to visit Lisa, Lynne, Betsy and Jan to see their blocks and what other good things they might have made:

Then head over to see the blocks being posted to #modablockheads on Instagram and Facebook. If you’re not already a member, you can also join the fun in the Moda Blockheads Facebook group.  It’s a busy group with folks sharing tips, suggestions and support.

Happy Blockhead Wednesday!

See you in August!?

20 comments on “Blockheads ~ Block 21

1. Susan Smith says:

Hi Carrie,
    I love your blocks as always and love that you put quotes on your labels. I usually put a verse of scripture on my labels but not always. Just wondering, did you mean to turn one set of the flying geese a different way on the fig tree block? Sometimes things like that slip by me but it could have been purposeful.

2. I love your labels – but then you do have such gorgeous handwriting!! My writing would not give the same effect!

• Lynne…I heard that so many times in my scrapbooking days. But, your handwriting is unique to you and that’s what makes it so special for future generations. Embrace your handwriting…others will love it.

3. houx says:

sew were is the pattern to print?

4. Janet Wells says:

I went to Betsy’s blog but couldn’t find the link to the pattern. 🙁 Might be me though…

5. Gale Bulkley says:

Building the label right into the quilt backing is such a good idea.

6. Leigh says:

Am I the only person that suffers from analysis paralysis when it comes to all the tools/rulers out there for quilters? This block uses the Loc Bloc Or Bloc Loc sorry see I cannot even keep the names straight. Then there is Marti M., templates, Bonnie Hunter, Quilt in a Day and the list goes on and on.

No, it’s not you. Just like Coke vs. Pepsi, Ford vs. Chevrolet, we all have our favorite ways of doing things. And as you can probably guess, many of “us” use rulers designed by friends or companies we work with, or rulers we designed ourselves.

The instructions for the block are written for the “connector corner” method – no ruler required. This is a really good method for geese this small.

As for “which ruler to get?” If you see or hear of one that’s new-to-you, I suggest Googling it as there is a good chance someone has done a demo for it, either on YouTube or a blog. Some are terrific and some are… well, not so much. They’re just “more of the same”. There is also sometimes a significant cost involved – I love Bloc-Loc rulers but if you make flying geese in a lot of sizes, getting one in each size gets pricey. The “connector corner” rulers are nice but I don’t care for them to make flying geese over 1-1/2″ x 3″ finished because they waste way too much fabric. (And no, I’m not a re-stitcher and saver of all those leftover triangles so I’ll use different methods.)

So yes, I completely get that this can quickly become “analysis paralysis.” 🙂

• Linda says:

Leigh, I’m a minimalist. I don’t like having tons of tools to keep up with, it muddles my brain :/ I forget to use them because they end up in the abyss of my sewing room. But I do LOVE and invest in the “Bloc-Loc” rulers. They make me look good 🙂

I love your blocks and your purposely turned flying geese section (lol) gave me the idea for one of my little blocks (hope to make them tonight). Do I label my quilts? Yes, when I remember to do it but it can happen that I forget too;-) And no, I don’t make so beautiful lables as you it’s normally a charm square fold in half diagonally and stitch to my quilt togehter with my binding.

8. WesternNYLady says:

I thought you should know. When I try the link on the block pattern to Jan Patek’s block I get a security warning. It appears there may be an issue with her site.
    Could you check this out? I’d like to see her work but won’t risk my Mac.
    Thanks much! Enjoying the weekly blocks.

9. Ronna says:

Yes, I label my quilts, telling its story (even though they may be years in the making!), who made it for whom, sometimes a bit humorous but my family laughs along with me.
    Carrie, I love reading your blogs! I haven’t missed any. I appreciate your responses to many followers questions or ideas, fun & helpful

10. Jo Morton says:

I love your way of labels on your quilts – I may have to do this on future quilts. Thank You so much!

11. Linda Mickle says:

I love your thoughts on labeling. I think it’s an important process as the curator of your quilts. We have 2 family favorite boat quilts that our college age children now try to sneak out of the house. All we know is that they were made by some relative’s aunt. It has always made me sad that we didn’t have more history to those quilts. I personally witnessed your labeling at a class I once took where you were the guest. I was hooked!!

The buffalo ck on that back is dreamy! Did you piece that too?? And you use a permanent pen, right? Do you do anything to it so it doesn’t wash out? like apply a lot of heat w/ an iron?

That backing was from a French General collection a few years ago – I think Rural Jardin. I love it and wish I had more of it!

I use a permanent pen – the Identi-pen by Sakura is my current favorite, though a Sharpie will also do the trick. I heat-set it a lot – like “she’s going to scorch that fabric if she’s not careful” a lot. And then I hope for the best. My experience is that some fade no matter what I do and others don’t fade at all. If one is really fading, I just trace over it with a pen, heat-set it and… hope for the best. 🙂

12. mccart says: