June & June…

It’s the start of summer in the Northern Hemisphere and the temperatures are dropping down under the Equator.  June also means a new 12 Contests – this time with Kathy Schmitz!

This is Kathy’s Flutterby pincushion – isn’t it positively wonderful?

Kathy is providing the pattern for Flutterby on her blog for free.  To be entered to win a wonderful prize, all you have to do is make this pincushion and post a picture of it to Instagram, or e-mail it to Kathy.  It’s that simple!  Winners will be drawn randomly.  For more details – Kathy Schmitz 12 Contest Pincushion.

Last month’s 12 Contest was Anne Sutton of Bunny Hill.  Anne asked quilters to design a stocking block for a Surprise Mystery quilt she’ll be sharing this summer and WOW!  The entries were adorable –   entries included appliqué, embroidery and redwork.

This is the winning entry by Shannon Cogswell – it was one of several she submitted, each one more wonderful than the one before.

To see more cute stockings and Anne’s complete list of winners – Bunny Hill ~ We have winners!

One of the June-things that has taken some getting used to – even before working here – is that our local quilt shops are filled with Christmas fabric.  We’ve shipped Sugar Plum Christmas, Merrily, Nordic Stitches, Snowfall, Forever Green, Hometown Christmas, Red Dot.. Green Dash, Snow Much Fun, Berry Merry and Eat Drink & Be Ugly.

Clockwise from upper-left:

Do you have the ruler yet?  You might need it… this is a very cute quilt, perfect for Christmas.

There is also Snowberry by 3 Sisters – this is Jack Frost.

There is also Snowman Gatherings IIIMerry Merry, Gooseberry Lane and Petite Maisons de Noel.

So what’s my point?  With all this pretty fabric arriving in your local quilt shop and popping up all over the internet… when do you start planning your Christmas and holiday quilts?  And when do you start making them?

I suppose i should also ask, do you make quilts just for the holidays?  If so, are they Christmas fabric or seasonal fabric, or do you prefer a season color scheme like red-and-green?

Mostly, I’m curious.

I do make Christmas quilts – either with Christmas collections or in red, or red and green.  A few years ago, a sweet friend and I made just-for-fun Christmas quilts for a few years.  Two of my favorites were when we paired a Thimbleblossoms’ pattern – Round & Round and Lollies – with a Kate Spain collection.  This summer, I want to finish a red and green version of Lucy from Miss Rosie’s Farmhouse Favorites using Fig Tree & Co. fabrics.  It’s cut out and about half of the strip-sets are done.  I should be able to finish that in the next three months, right?

So what about you?

I know… la la la… you can’t hear me.  It’s still too early to think about the December holidays… except it was just Valentine’s Day last week.  July 4th is next week and Halloween is two weeks after that.  Christmas will be here before you know it.  Or does it just feel like that?

Happy Tuesday!

14 comments on “June & June…

1. Karen Seitz says:

Most of the Christmas quilts I have made have been with holiday collections that I love. So many great ones come out each year that it’s hard not to succumb to buying more.

2. Gretchen says:

I’ve never made a Christmas quilt, I make seasonal quilts. I have several winter quilts that I keep out all winter and into early spring.

3. Rosemary Goodwin says:

I am a sucker for Christmas fabrics so have way too many. I have made one Christmas quilt but need to make more. Maybe this year!

4. Sharla Dial Anderson says:

I love your newsletters❤️❤️. As a new quilter, I’ve become obsessed with fabric and non-stop quilt making after taking a few Craftsy.com classes. Holiday fabric is not really my thing right now, and any quilts made for Christmas will be out of color collections that would suit the gift receiver. That being said, I will probably make a few holiday themed wall hangings, pot holders, etc for myself…of course. I am not even interested in looking at holiday fabric at the moment…it’s 200 degrees here in Florida right now.

5. Susan says:

6. Frieda Z says:

I mostly make Christmas quilts from Christmas fabrics. I have a couple that were Fat Quarter shop mystery quilts. I am working on the one from Merrily this year.

I’ll try to make at least one Christmas quilt in July. Honestly June is a bit too early for me. And I plan this year to make at least one gift for family and friends. Mmmh, perhaps I’ll should start my Christmas sewing tomorrow;-)

8. Bridget says:

I have started working on my January 2018 projects in the office 😉 I don’t use my quilts in the winter (hello, it is cold where I live so we use down duvets :)) That said, I have more than one Christmas quilt and lots of holiday fabric. Am working on a Halloween Lucy and now am thinking Christmas…

9. Laure says:

I have the Jack Frost pattern and am waiting for Snowberry to arrive in shops. Did you use the darkest red (or blue) prints in the line? I’d love to say I’ll finish it in time for Christmas, but probably won’t happen this year.

10. Vicky says:

I make Christmas quilts any time of the year. Your Snow Goose pattern from Minick & Simpson’s Snowfall fabric is all cut out and sewing will begin this weekend. I have one more planned before year’s end. Every day is Christmas as far as I’m concerned!

11. Pris Phillips says:

I have Christmas fabrics for two quilts – both in red, limey green, and teal. (Whimsical fabrics.) I also have some Christmasy French General I want to make a king sz quilt in a simple pattern (so I can actually finish it!) for our bed to use all winter. Oh!! I also got a Frivols tin – think it’s the Cookie Exchange which I’ll either use for a table runner or lap quilt. I have quilts I want/need to finish first so we’ll see what gets done this summer! But I do like the Christmas in July idea. Happy quilting everybody!

12. Jocelyn says:

My hubby always says that. “Christmas will be here before you know it.”
    I have two Christmas projects gathering steam in my brain. For two sweet little girls. I’d like to have them done waaayyy before Christmas. Not this last minute, up til the wee hours, sewing on binding 🙁

13. Jen B says:

I don’t really get christmas quilts. But maybe that’s because our decorations are up for 2 weeks at most.

14. Love your posts – as always, they are fun and inspirational! Of course, I have a mile long list of all the quilts and needle arts I want to do (don’t we all)… I usually am very sad that the holidays arrive so fast and I’m not prepared and yet, I always vow to make something earlier. It’s hot, but the months go by too fast so I’m going to try and get with it this year. I sure love many of the patterns and fabrics and thanks for sharing with us!

We love to hear from you...