Blockheads ~ Block 11

It’s Lisa Bongean’s week on the Blockheads… and I think you know what that means…

Sixty-four.  It will be sixty pieces if you read the instructions… I made twelve matching units before realizing that there were supposed to be large triangles on the sides.

But I rebounded nicely!

It still works, right?  And when it’s quilted, who is going to notice?  (Me.) (And you.)

To get the instructions for Lisa’s Star – Click Here for Lisa Bongean’s blog.

Just so you know, I really enjoyed making both of these blocks.  The pieces are tiny and there isn’t any room for error, but they’re very satisfying, especially when you’re finished.

Fabrics?  The blue Reproduction block is made with prints from Snowberry by 3 Sisters.  The Fig Tree & Co. version is Farmhouse and Chestnut Street and the tiny star background is from Liberty Gatherings by Primitive Gatherings.

Question of the Week ~ Of all the quilts you’ve ever created-designed, which is your favorite quilt pattern?

This has been a very, very hard question for me.  Easy answer – “I like them all!”  Or “whichever quilt I made last…”  Almost every quilt I’ve made has a story, even if it’s a silly one like “I wonder if this will work…”  So trying to pick a favorite isn’t how my noggin’ works.

But when I looked through pictures and patterns, books and magazines, two stood out for what might seem like an odd reason.  The first is Stella Blue – made in 2004 using the Linda Brannock & Jan Patek collection Backgrounds, Borders & Backs.

The second quilt is Raise the Roof, made in 2006.  The fabrics were a mix of Moda and Jo Morton fabrics by Andover.

What makes both quilts stand out for me is that there were times when I would see my quilt across a room and it would take a moment for me to realize it was mine, that I had made it.  I often had the same thought when I would see someone else’s version of it.

I also love these quilts because they both remind me that who we are – our quirks – are part of what we make.  There are pieced logs in Raise the Roof and yes, I randomly changed direction with that flying geese border on Stella.  Four-patches in some of the stars?  Of course.

Both quilts are included in Miss Rosie’s Farmhouse Favorites.

If you missed it – Click Here for Lisa Bongean’s blog. (And the instructions for Lisa’s Star.)

That’s it for today, May 17th.  Be sure to visit Lynne, Jo, Jan and Betsy to see their blocks and what other good things they might have made:

And don’t forget to check out the blocks popping up in #modablockheads on Instagram and Facebook for more pictures.  The Moda Blockheads Facebook group is also busy with folks sharing tips, suggestions and support.

Happy Blockhead Wednesday!

17 comments on “Blockheads ~ Block 11

1. Janet O. says:

Love both of your quilts, but Raise the Roof really caught my attention!

• Debbie says:

I have wanted to do Raise the Roof for a long time. I have the pattern sitting here just waiting to be done.

2. Sue H says:

Beautiful quilts!!!!

3. Janice R says:

Raise the Roof is still one of my favorites, too I made it for one of our daughters weddings and turned out beautifully. I was so excited to see it in your newest book. I’m thinking it’s one I’d like to repeat someday, but Blue Sky is definitely on the list as well. Enjoy market, Carrie! I can’t wait for the pictures and your commentary!

4. quiltinspace says:

My all time favorite quilt is Storm at Sea. It is about the only quilt pattern I’ve made more than once; the first time was a mini. I have more of them in my head.

5. Linda says:

Raise the Roof is my favorite of the two, but they are both beautiful!

• Brenda Wall says:

Raise the Roof is now on my list of quilts I want to do. My favorite pattern and my very first one in 1992 was called Rebecca’s Fan. It is an old Kansas City Star Pattern and in Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Quilt Blocks. Each fan makes its own block so there was no curved piecing on that one. LOL

6. Vivian says:

I am so glad you mentioned “Raise The Roof” as one of your favorites! Thelma over at Cupcakes and Daisies is doing a “Farmhouse Favorites Sew Along” this year asking followers to pick any of your patterns (from any of your books) to sew up this year in honor of the new book. I had picked “RTR” as mine although I didn’t know it was in the new book — it’s been on my wish list since seeing it in “Miss Rosie’s Spice of Life”. So now I’m glad to know that when I get it started, I’ll actually be honoring the new book too! Fortunately for me Thelma gave us until December to finish our quilts although she’s so focused, she’s already completed her top!!

7. Tracey says:

Beautiful quilts. I’m wondering if Stella Blue pattern is available for sale? I did a super quick search and didn’t see one, but I’ll go back and take a longer look? Like Vivian, I’m considering doing one of your quilts with Thelma and I have Mi Casa and the one from Scraps Made Simple on my list now, and I might have to add Stella Blue to it before I decide! Too many options, too little time.

• Tracey says:

I didn’t read this post well enough the first time and now I see that I where I am able to get the pattern!! Sorry!!

8. Jaxine says:

I made your Raise the Roof and it is one of my favorites, too. I love scrappy quilts!

Love your blocks and your quilts! I’m planning to join Thelma in her sew-along but didn’t start yet and both quilt are on my list (although knowing me you already know I’ll change your patterns a bit, don’t you?;-) I don’t know if I have a favorite quilt but one I’m really proud of is my Tula Pink City Sampler.

10. dondim says:

What marvels they both are! I love how the larger blocks in Stella Blue seem to appear and disappear. They seem to play tricks on my eyes. Your use of color is so great! The soft tans in Raise the Roof almost look like hardwood flooring if I’m not looking carefully. You should feel so proud of both of them.

11. Bridget says:

I didn’t think I like snowball blocks but they appear in a LOT of my quilts…what’s up with that? lol

12. Golden Child says:

And Stella Blue was named after my beloved Labrador Retriever, who was named after a favorite Grateful Dead song!

13. Barbara Forde says:

I did Raise the Roof a few years ago and it is one of my all time favourites…..also one I get lots of compliments for.

14. Wanda Barth-Lindblom says:

So if I wanted to cut my pieces over size and then trim my HST what size should they end up????