Blockheads ~ Block 7

Six down, forty-two to go.

Penny Basket by Lynne Hagmeier of Kansas Troubles.  If you’re only here for the Block Instructions, you’ll need to go to Lynne’s blog to get those.  So CLICK HERE FOR LYNNE’S BLOG.

The Penny Basket above is Tammy’s – she used Garden House by Jan Patek.  Tammy used Lynne’s layered patchwork-fusible appliqué to make her block.  How perfect are those fussy-cut centers?

This is Chelair’s Patriotic Penny Basket – Old Glory Gatherings by Lisa Bongean for Primitive Gatherings.

Chelair also brought in her first six blocks so I could share them with you.  They’re gorgeous!

As for me, I made both of my blocks, the blue Reproduction version and the Fig Tree & Co. scrappy version without the second page of my pattern.  Oops.  I knew I should have waited but… oh well, my seam ripper hasn’t been getting much use lately… :::snort:::  So I had to go back and add the little wings at the bottom of the basket.

After I had the pattern in-hand, I also realized that the third circle goes on after the setting strips… instructions, sometimes they really can help.

So yes, make sure you have two pages to your instructions!

Question of the Week – Favorite Rulers.

When I’m cutting pieces and piecing blocks – especially small blocks – my go-to ruler is a 4-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ Frosted Olfa Square.  I have multiples.  I use them for everything – including trimming HTSs to size.  (I have and love Bloc-Loc rulers for HTSs too.)  I prefer the Frosted Olfa rulers because the markings are minimal and the frosted finish seems to have less glare – at least to my eyes.  I also use the 6-1/2″ x 6-1/2″ and 6″ x 12″ Frosted Olfa Rulers.

The other rulers I reach for all the time are Lisa Bongean’s Itty Bitty Eights – the 6″ x 6″ square and the 3″ x 7″ rectangle.

That’s them – and yes, I really love these GE Ruler Stickers.

In addition to the blocks, I caught up with my flying geese quota – I added seven sets for each quilt top.  And extra blocks – I’m going to need more than forty-eight blocks to complete the setting I have in mind so I made the first of those as well.  Here is the first extra block – a simple Cake Stand block.

Cutting Instructions:

• Background – 3 squares – 2-3/8″ x 2-3/8″ – to make 6 small HTSs – finish at 1-1/2″
  • Background – 1 square – 3-7/8′ x 3-7/8″ – to make 1 large HTS – finish at 3″
  • Background – 2 squares – 2″ x 2″
  • Background – 2 rectangles – 2″ x 3 1/2″
  • Print 1 – 3 squares – 2-3/8″ x 2-3/8″ – to make 6 small HTSs – finish at 1-1/2″
  • Print 2 – 1 square – 3-7/8′ x 3-7/8″ – to make 1 large HTS – finish at 3″

There will be two large HTSs, I’m saving the second one as I’m sure it can be used for something later.

In case you missed it, click here for Lynne’s blog and the pattern for – LYNNE’S PENNY BASKET BLOCK.

That’s it for today so be sure to visit the others to see what they made:

Be sure to see the blocks popping up in #modablockheads on Instagram and Facebook for more pictures.  The Moda Blockheads Facebook group is also busy with folks sharing tips, suggestions and support.

Happy Blockhead Wednesday!

30 comments on “Blockheads ~ Block 7

1. Hi! When I go to Lynne’s website for the block, the link leads nowhere. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Amazing block but I’m glad Lisa made an alternative again although I love the basket block. Perhaps I’ll combine the two somehow.
    My favorite ruler is the Omnigrip 8.5″x12″ it’s just perfect for everything normal cutting, making HSTs or Flying Geese I’ll use it 99% of the time.

3. Becky says:

I am getting “Error 404” message when I go to the block link.

4. Karen Krusinski says:

I also cannot pull this pattern up – giving me an error message.

5. Doris Hixon says:

Several attempts to download pattern were unsuccessful. On Lynn’s page it says the website in not found when clicking on the pattern download.

6. cheryl says:

once again I am 30 minutes on the computer and not able to print a pattern direction for the blockheads. Thanks but no thanks. I am unsubscribing

Hi Cheryl – I’m sorry you’ve wasted your time.

I don’t know why the link on Lynne’s blog isn’t working, there is probably a missing character in the URL. But if you’d read the comments, you would have seen that the link was posted there – http://unitednotions.com/Block7LH_PennyBasket.pdf

If you’re in the Facebook group, the instructions were uploaded to the files six hours ago. Again, I’m sorry that you’re unhappy.

7. Kathy Lamb says:

THANK YOU to ALL the designers of this series. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to deal with all us people with varying levels of patience, computer skills, and sewing skills. I hope you all realize the majority of your followers appreciate your time and efforts immensely!

8. Sandra B says:

Carrie….I just wanted to pop in to say that I had no trouble at all getting to the instructions for this week’s block…went right to it on the first try….
    Thanks so much for this BOW project…I am having a lot of fun working on it! Love this week’s block!!
    I have not seen the frosted rulers, but may have to look for them…while I love the Omnigrid rulers I use, glare is sometimes a problem.
    Thanks again!

9. I must have missed the blog that provides the information on the flying geese blocks that will be needed in the future, as i read today that one designer had completed her quota. Please direct me to where I can find out what is needed. Thank you.

Hi Bernice –

You haven’t missed anything – I promise. Since I need to be working just a little bit ahead, I have an idea on how I would like to set my quilt and for that, I will need 400 flying geese that finish at 1-1/2″ x 3″. Instead of making them all at the end, I’ve been making at least three sets of 4 each week so that I’ll have them all finished when the blocks are done. That’s the “quota” I referred to.

Beyond that, there hasn’t been any information provided as to the setting. We’re going to discuss this next month and come up with a good time to share our setting plans. It goes without saying that you don’t have to use any of them. 🙂

The flying geese I’m making are for my setting – and no, the settings haven’t been shared yet. I just need a bit of a plan, and I need to be working ahead a little bit, hence the geese.

10. Charlotte says:

I am not sewing the blocks but just enjoy seeing all the different versions of the blocks. Thanks for being so patient with all your followers.

Charlotte

11. Becky says:

Thanks for fixing the link!

12. Kyra Franz says:

I noticed that several of you have made your blocks using the NON-layering method. That’s what I want to do for mine but haven’t seen the instructions for it. I don’t even want to cut mine out until I know for sure what sizes for the block background and basket to cut. Thank you! I love doing this sew-along!

• Dottie Jackson says:

I’m needing those instructons as well as I’m not doing the layering technique either. Enjoying this BOW sew along too!!

13. Kelsie says:

I’m a newish quilter. Little over 5 months. I have a “super cheat” in that my aunt just retired from Clover and can teach me methods of doing things (last week, it was cutting a circle with a Lil tool o didn’t know existed: pretty basic!) I’m learning so much with every block and doing these blocks makes piecing 4″ cake stand blocks so easy! Thanks!

14. Teresa says:

Are the blocks going to be set on point, like this basket block is made, or in a straight setting? Or will that depend on each designer? I am fussy cutting some of the centers so hoping to know before I get too far along. Thanks for all of your patience with our many questions!

15. love this project! is there one place to download all patterns?

16. northernsue says:

oh dear! Applique! lol It’s as if somebody knows I’ve been dragging my heels getting enough practice in to get comfortable with this method! I like the look when done, but I get totally stressed in the process! My new favorite ruler is the Pineapple Trim Tool by Creative Grids for pineapple blocks – so much fun; I like the Creative Grid rulers and their tutorials for each one AND the nonslip bottoms. Omnigrid is my go-to everyday ruler; and if you do any quilting with rulers? Leah Day has a great set of rulers for ruler quilting – I’m really liking learning that skill! So much to do, so little time! 🙂

17. Barbara Esposito says:

Hey Carrie and Moda Ladies – thanks for being so transparent and down to earth! Your honestly and humor make me feel like maybe even I can muddle through! Thoroughly enjoy blog-hanging out with you all! PS – I think I have a ruler addiction…

18. B from Canada says:

The link works fine now. It was probably overloading the server previously.

B from Canada

19. Kyra Franz says:

Please, Carrie, I am still hoping to see cutting instructions for a NON-layered method for this block. I understand that the flowers will be layers and appliqued, but I would really like to have instructions for cutting the basic basket block. Thank you so much!

Hi Kyra – I’m not sure this is what you’re looking for but this is how to make the plain Penny Basket without the layered flowers.

The basket part is best made by cutting two squares – 1 background and 1 print – 4-7/8″ x 4-7/8″. Use those to make two HTSs, only one of which you’ll need.

Then from the background, cut 2 rectangles – 1-1/2″ x 2-1/2″, 3 rectangles – 1-1/2″ x 4-1/2″and 1 rectangle – 1-1/2″ x 5-1/2″. From the print for the basket, cut 2 squares – 1-1/2″ x 1-1/2″. Sew one of the print squares to one end of one rectangle – 1-1/2″ x 2-1/2″. Flip-and-sew. Trim the piece to make a HTS measuring 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″. I know that’s not an efficient way to do it, but that was the easiest way for me to make that piece. 🙂

Using the pattern – Page 2, Steps 9 and 10, make the remaining to border pieces for the basket. http://unitednotions.com/Block7LH_PennyBasket.pdf

I hope that helps. If not… there is the Cake Stand block I included in the post. 🙂

20. Mary curtis says:

I would love to do the Blockheads! May I join the group or am I too late?

We love to hear from you...