A shivoo…

According to my friends at Dictionary.com, that’s an Australian word for a boisterous party or celebration.  I don’t know how boisterous it’s going to get here today but it’s Friday and that is cause for some kind of celebration, right?

I think this quilt looks like a shivoo – a boisterous party of color!  The fabrics are from a variety of American Jane collections – aka Sandy Klop.  The quilt pattern is Cracked Pots, it’s from the book Miss Rosie’s Farmhouse Favorites.  My sweet friend Judy made this new version for the book and it’s one of my favorite quilts.  It seemed fitting for a Friday.

New versions – it’s that time of year here.  Spring, of course.  New grownth, renewal.  Yeah, yeah.  It’s also the time when we’ve got new fabric arriving daily – literally.  I know I’ve mentioned them and shown a few things, but in case you’ve missed it – or aren’t on Instagram – here are some of the new collections showing to shops right now.

Clockwise from upper left –

And…

Do I have a favorite?  At least eight of them so far.  These collections will ship in August and September.

Of course you know that our other big shivoo is in less than three weeks – gee thanks to the nice gentleman who sent that reminder e-mail earlier this week.  Spring International Quilt Market in St. Louis, Missouri.  There will be more new fabric to show, new quilts and all sorts of other little treats to share… and as it looks like I’m going to two Cardinals’ baseball games, expect a picture or two of that.

While the fabric or book isn’t new, a few weeks ago, Linzee McCray, my partner-in-crime at The Cutting Table wrote about Miss Rosie’s Farmhouse Favorites… something about Unexpected.  (Between us… despite being an amazing author – Feed Sacks and Art Quilts of the Midwest – she made up most of it.)  You were all very kind – yes, I do like flying geese and half-triangle squares… but I also love nine-patch quilts!

Wayne & Gordie.  Someone once asked me if those were the names of my hamsters.  I honestly have no idea why she thought “hamsters” but no… first, I never had a hankering for a furry little rodent creature, and second, Wayne and Gordie were hockey players.  It’s all those nine-patches… nines… Gordie Howe, a famous No. 9, and Wayne Gretzky, the famous No. 99, in honor of his hockey hero, Gordie.  I’d bet the “farmhouse” that neither one of them ever owned a hamster… just saying.

So why am I mentioning the book?  I want to thank you – yes, you!  I heard the other day that Miss Rosie’s Farmhouse Favorites is being re-printed.  That’s cause for a shivoo too!  (If you’re at Quilt Market and don’t yet have a copy of the book, rumor has it there will be a book-signing on Friday.)

I hope your weekend is one big shivoo… unless you’d rather it be relaxing.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be sewing… it is that time of year.

Happy Friday!

19 comments on “A shivoo…

Love all the new fabrics and the quilts and your book are among my favorites right now. Hope you start my Due South quilt this weekend.
    And I hope you find your True Blue quilt soon. My LQS has True Blue fabrics in right now and I’m surely tempted to buy some.
    Have a wonderful weekend like you I plan to sew a lot (but just for fun:-)

2. Mary Ann Scanlon says:

Ohhhh…..so many beautiful new lines. I bet I don’t stick to my fabric diet anymore than I can avoid chocolate and carbs!

3. Tracey says:

All of the wonderful fabrics!! I can envision making a quilt out of all of these fabrics for those who I love!!
    If you don’t find your quilt, and you don’t have time to make her a replacement, I’d sure offer you my time and services to make a replacement quilt. Just let me know. I could probably round up a few friends who would help and it would be done in no time. But I do hope that the original is soon found.

4. Karen says:

And thank you to you for your wonderful and inspiring designs!! You really got my heart rate up when you showed those eight collections…….my brain read that they are shipping now!! Good thing I reread that they are showing now!! Have been so excited for these new collections…..guess I’ll have to wait a bit longer!!

5. Jan Dudley says:

This is the first time I have read your comments. I love the new lines of fabric shown, especially anything by Minick and Simpson with their red, white and blues!! As I have been recently retired and now have much more time to sew, I am having difficulty changing from small projects/gifts to full size quilts. I am working hard on this transition. There are soooo many quilt patterns to try! Thanks for all your creativity and cozy quilt patterns. Jan

6. Ann in NC says:

More temptation!!! Congrats on the second printing of your book! I am thrilled to have a first edition!

7. Colleen Coffman says:

I am loving Farmhouse! Congratulations on the reprint :). May there be several more! Can’t wait to see the new American Jane and Minick & Simpson fabrics.

8. Kathy Colton says:

Love…love the green and black/white group…when will that ship and can I buy it online?

9. Ann says:

Hi Carrie, that’s a beautiful quilt. I’m from Australia and I’ve never heard the word ‘shivoo’ (maybe I don’t go to enough of them). We do use the word ‘shindig’ sometimes for a party.

10. Mary Andra Holmes says:

Thinking of you and cracked pots. Hugs

11. Pat Anderson says:

Bought this book as soon as I saw it–would recommend highly! Thanks for the inspiration!

12. Pieta Laker-Ratcliff says:

As an Australian, I had never heard of ‘shivoo’ so am pleased to hear what it means. We always refer to a party, boisterous or otherwise, as a shindig!. Love all the fabrics especially the Authentic collection.

13. Susan says:

Love seeing all the lovely new fabrics and the new book! Such inspiration! Thanks so much!

14. Brenda says:

I’m going to have to search out that book soon. Love that quilt. I think the term probably is a short version of the word “shivaree.” Which, noun or verb, is defined as a noisy serenade of a newly wedded couple. I remember my folks participating in those when I was a child. All of the older couple in our tiny town would gather around the newlyweds home, usually in the wee hours when everyone was expected to be fast asleep, and the couple usually was. Banging pots and pans, all kinds of noisemakers, and who knows what else woke the couple up, who traditionally invited everyone in for drinks and/or treats of some kind. I’m sure someone slipped a kindly alert to the newlyweds so that they were prepared, in every way.

15. Kathy says:

Love my Farmhouse book. I have about 4 for sure on my list to make. But very soon I’ll be starting Opening Day. I have my fabric ( 3 sisters. Poetry!) and bloc lock ready…just need to quilt my two tops I just finished first. Thanks for the great new pattern book…it was fun to read too!

16. Kimberly says:

Omg I love this quilt. I have a Hugh collection of American Jane Fabrics and can’t wait to cut this. My question is, in the cutting instructions it calls to cut 6 3/4″ strip, then the rest of the cuts are 6 1/4″. Are these two cuts correct?

Hi Kimberly –

It is! I know… it seems kind of odd but cutting the strip at 6-1/4″ for those two squares would have resulted in more waste. At 6-3/4″, the remainder can be used a bit more efficiently.

Okay, and I really just wanted to confuse people. 🙂

17. Kelly DuMaresq says:

LOVE LOVE your new book Carrie!! I’ve already started my own “Opening Day”. The fact that your quilt was blue and white and I’m a huge Toronto Blue Jays fan was just too much of a sign that I NEEDED to make this quilt! I’ve decided to make one star every time the Blue Jays have a win–unfortunately not much sewing in April 😉 Here’s hoping for a busy summer and a Queen size quilt! Thanks so much for the inspiration.

We love to hear from you...