Friday Craic!

It’s pronounced like “crack” but with a whole other meaning.  The general Irish meaning is that “craic” means fun or a good time, especially among a group of friends.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you!  And Happy Friday!

This is Luck of the Irish – one of the new Colors of Moda 12-Pack quilts.  Of course I had to include a St. Patrick’s Day kind of quilt! The pattern is included in this bundle of 12 Bella Fat Quarters.  (The only extras needed are a background, binding and backing.)

Are you celebrating St. Patrick’s Day?  Are you celebrating by sewing something green?  Or maybe making an Irish Chain quilt?

I’ve made a few in my “quilting life”, including one that was supposed to be a Double-Irish Chain and wound up as a Compressed Triple Irish Chain.  I was a newbie and I was on my way to establishing what would clearly become a life-long aversion to following instructions.

But I digress… courtesy of two lovely ladies, I now have a few more Irish Chain quilts on my “to do” list.

Do you know Melissa Corry?  She’s a wonderful quilter, author and altogether lovely person.  This is one of her books –

Irish Chain Quilts.  Published in 2015, it is still a collection of wonderful quilts that will appeal to traditional and modern quilters – the scrappy kind and the “just four fabrics, please” kind.

Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson is the “just four-hundred-and-forty-four fabrics, please” kind of quilter.  Scrappy. But with a plan.

This is a super-pumped-up Irish Chain Variation – and it’s gorgeous.  The blue version was made a year or so ago using blues from Laurie’s many, many Moda collections.  The Red and Green version is new.

It’s made with fabrics from Snowfall – the coming in May Christmas collection from Polly and Laurie.  Except the red circles on white… that’s not Snowfall, it might be Hello Darling.

Yes, Laurie is hand-quilting this with her beautiful big-stitch quilting.  I think we need to get Laurie to show us how this is done, don’t you?

If you’re not sure you want and Christmas-themed Irish Chain, I have an idea that might be equally wonderful.

Shhhh… sneak peek coming.  Whispering here… what about this?  Ivory, shades of Blue, Red and Yellow.  This is Polly and Laurie’s new collection, Ann’s Arbor.

Isn’t it gorgeous?  It’s showing to shops now and will ship late this summer, in August.

You didn’t hear about this from me…

Where was I… weekend sewing!  In addition to the Blockheads Block of the Week, I am sewing along with the Fat Quarter Shop’s Patchwork QuiltAlong benefitting the Make A Wish foundation.

Though some might say I’m being “inspired by” the QuiltAlong as I seem to have gone a little off-the-rails when it comes to following the pattern.  Though I will say that I love the block patterns and as always, I love that this benefits a great charity.  Even if you don’t sew along, it’s a great quilt and the instructions are terrific.  (Just because I don’t actually follow them completely doesn’t mean I don’t read them!)

My fabrics are a mix of Bonnie & Camille collections – Vintage Picnic, Basics, Handmade, Little Ruby and I’m sure something else will make it’s way into the blocks.  Pssst… like this, The Good Life… coming in August.

And no, MaryAnn, I still haven’t gotten a new cutting mat.

So that’s it for today.  I hope you have a wonderful day and weekend.

And in the spirit of the day…

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

19 comments on “Friday Craic!

1. Vicky McGee says:

My Irish mother would have been disappointed to know that I forgot about St. Paddy’s Day this year. Love all these Irish chains. I made one and said I’d never do it again but Laurie’s pattern has me tempted! Hope your day is filled with a ton o’malarky and something green!

2. Susan says:

Thanks for sharing – I love Irish Chain quilts and will have to make one (one of these days). Love both new fabric lines coming out too, and Fabric Quarter Shop is wonderful to have all of these great organizations that they help!

3. Linda P says:

Thank you for that sneak peek of the M & S collection coming. I spy a white with blue circles so the red Laurie is using could pass for hers – js. Lots of great sew alongs going on this year. I am currently using my some hoarded last scraps of Nantucket & Paisley in my Aurifil Designer blocks. May the luck of the Irish be with you today, and some leprechaun plays a prank. Top o’ the mornin’ to ye!!

4. Kathy V says:

Yes please show us how you are quilting your quilt ! Love the Baptist Fan design.

5. Sharon Ernst says:

I LOVE Irish Chain quilts! This post was all eye candy for me! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!! ☘☘☘

6. Sue H says:

Love Irish Chain quilts too! The Christmas version is gorgeous but in the new Ann Arbor fabrics will be equally scrumptious! Happy St. Patrick’s Day to ALL!! ♣♣♣

7. Gene Black says:

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you and everyone!

8. Mary D says:

Wow! What a wonderful array of eye candy!! I’m so glad that kind of candy has no calories.

9. Jocelyn says:

I think the Irish Chain pattern is my favorite. Love everything you can do with different colors.

10. Jeanne says:

Loved the sneak peak!! So pretty. And I think we need a video tutorial of the big stitch quilting-she does such a beautiful job.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you! I never made an Irish-Chain quilt but I made a small green and white quilt a few years ago (and gave it to a wonderful friend who likes in Denmark).
    I love your Box-in-a-Box version with the cute Shoo Fly and of course Bonnie & Camille fabrics. I received her new patterns today in the mail they are all so great!
    Enjoy your weekend:-)

12. Kay Hunzinger says:

I love the Minick and Simpson quilts with all those tiny pieces. Also love your blocks. Keep all that inspiration coming!

13. happyquiltingmelissa says:

Ahh, thanks so much Carrie for the sweet words 😉 And wow, I can’t believe it has been 2 years since my book came out, time sure does fly 😉

14. Margaret says:

My second full size quilt was a Triple Irish Chain. I was too new to quilting to know it was supposed to be difficult. It turned out beautifully. Actually, I found out much later that it was a Mosaic Trip Around the World. Yes, I would make another.

15. Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you Carrie and all the gang at Moda!

16. Linda Stoll says:

I would love to get the Luck of Irish fabric bundle and pattern. Am searching around for quilt shops who may have it. Any suggestions for online shops?

Hi Linda – That bundle is just starting to ship to stores now. The FQS has the bundle listed as “coming soon” and MSQ will also be receiving it. Search for Colors of Moda bundle and that should help you find it.

The pattern is packaged with the bundle, and so that you don’t have to pull it all apart to see the pattern – you’ll need 3-3/4 yards of background, 2/3 yard of binding and 5-7/8 yards of backing. The quilt measures 74″ x 94″. 🙂

We love to hear from you...