Featured Shop: Lone Star Quiltworks

02Terry Skrabanek says she’s tried every craft in the book, but it wasn’t until the mid-1980s, when she was into English smocking and her sons said “We’re not wearing that stuff,” that she learned to quilt. It wasn’t long after that she also learned to longarm and started “quilting for the public” as an aside to her job as a critical care nurse. Then, in 2005, she decided to open a shop, Lone Star Quiltworks.

14The shop is located in Bryan, Texas, home to Texas A&M University, and Aggie-fever is strong. Lone Star Quiltworks carries fabrics in the school’s beloved maroon and white colors and they’ve done Aggie Block of the Month programs and feature an “Everything Aggie” section on their web site, with Aggie-appropriate fabrics and quilt kits.

06For those not afflicted with Aggie-fever, there is plenty to enjoy. The spacious shop (6,000 square feet) contains 6,000 bolts of fabric, in styles that range from Civil War reproductions and patriotic fabrics to a children’s section, a range of solids and other fabrics popular with modern quilters. “We’re happy to have anyone in the door who wants to sew or quilt,” says Terry. Moda favorites include Deb Strain, Me and My Sister, Jen Kingwell, and Kansas Troubles fabrics, among others, and the shop carries lots of kits and regularly offers new BOMs.

shelves2-1

new-wool-roomWool is popular at Lone Star Quilts. Customers enjoy the work of Wendy Williams and Sue Spargo and a rug-hooking group meets regularly. Classes range from quilting and garment making to embroidery and projects likes totes, placemats, and table runners. Terry brings in national speakers and groups who learned Judy Niemeyer’s techniques continue to meet and work on their projects. English paper piecing expert Sue Daley and Tricia Kribs of Turning Twenty have presented workshops and inspired customers. The shop also carries Baby Lock machines and Handi Quilter longarms and provides instruction. And Terry enjoys creating special events for her customers—tomorrow, for example, she is taking a group of 100 women to Quilt Festival—this is the ninth year she’s done so. Also in its ninth year are retreats in east Texas. Three times annually she hires a gourmet cook, who prepares meals while Terry’s customers sew the day away. “We’re barely finishing with one and people are signing up for the next,” she says.me4

Terry’s enjoyed her relationship with Moda through the years. Her first Moda rep was Jim Salinas, who she describes as “an icon in the company and the industry.” She enjoyed talking business with him and credits him with mentoring her along the way. “For the last two years my rep has been Rhonda LaBruso, and we have a good relationship,” says Terry. “Moda is always punctual with their shipping and the orders come complete, which I appreciate. I’ve enjoyed the people at Moda I’ve gotten to know.”04

It’s not just the folks at Moda that Terry appreciates. Quilting has brought her many relationships, including those with her staff and customers. “I hate to fall back on a cliché, but we work hard to provide a warm and friendly atmosphere and the positive testimonials on our web site reflect that,” she says. “’Come in as a customer, leave as a friend’ is my motto. We provide a happy environment that people want to be a part of, and I’m pretty proud of that.”

30 comments on “Featured Shop: Lone Star Quiltworks

1. Stephanie Woodward says:

We are all so glad she opened here, even if it is an hour drive. It’s worth it.

2. Marti Morgan says:

So jealous that you are in Texas, because your shop sounds like my kind of place. Next time I’m in Texarkana, I am going on a road trip!

3. Jacque says:

beautiful shop

4. Leigh says:

I discovered this shop when I married an Aggie 16 yrs ago, and it has always been a great shop. IT just keeps getting better and better. Congratulations to LSQ and best wishes for many more years. Gig’em.

5. grannyhall says:

How exciting to read about my local quilt shop! I love Lone Star Quiltworks!

6. Betty Bugh says:

What a nice article! We are so fortunate to have Terry and Lone Star Quiltworks here to accommodate all of our quilting needs and desires.

7. Jess says:

Beautiful shop! Congratulations on your success!

8. Anne Perry says:

Congratulations to Terry and her staff for this great coverage by Moda! Lone Star Quiltworks IS a shop every quilter should visit! I remember going on one of their sponsored “Shop Hop” buses one day, then returning to LSQW and commenting that theirs was the BEST shop on the “hop!” 🙂 The staff is wonderful and selection is outstanding; I feel so lucky to have it within 40 miles of our home!

9. What a great post! Such a lovely quilt shop, definitely worth the trip! I’ve known Terry for a bit now and I can see how a customer would leave as a friend! Cheers!

10. Pat Roberson says:

Fabulous!!!

11. Janet says:

Wonderful shop!! And Terry’s retreats are amazing!!!

12. Judy says:

One of my favorite places to shop. Not only because of the great fabric selection but the friendly and helpful staff.

13. Gail Hall says:

Lone Star is my happy place!

14. Geraldine says:

Terry has a quality shop because she is a quality friend. We met in that smocking group many moons ago. I’m so happy that first glimmer of opening a quilt shop has blossomed into such a beautiful & successful result. All those hours & hours of planning have paid off and we, the customers, now friends, are the big winners. Thank you, Terry!

15. Johnnie Smith says:

I love visiting our wonerful quilt shop! Terry & the ladies are wonderful and I can always find what I need & a whole lot more! Not only do they take care of my fabric & notions needs, they host classes that have helped me learn to quilt. I don’t know what we would do without Terry & the ladies. This shop always puts a smile on my face!

16. Kay Schott says:

I love the fabric selection, the people, and the classes!

17. Susan Lee says:

Love shopping at Lone Star! The fabric is beautiful and the ladies that work there are so helpful. Love the classes.

18. Sherry Steele says:

Always a hello and a smile – I have my favs in certain areas and LSQW is highest on the list for near home…………

19. Pamela Johnson says:

I tend to get lost in all the beautiful fabrics that Terry has in her shop. The ladies she has working for her are so helpful and have the patience of Job when I come in needing help with this or that. I began quilting by taking classes at the shop and the patience of the teachers are wonderful. We are lucky to have Terry’s shop here in town.

20. Laura says:

This is such a GREAT quiltshop!!! I’m so glad I only live 30 miles away!! Could spend hours in there!

21. Carol Gimler says:

What a lovely article. I love the shop. It is beautiful. I was in to buy fabric for a baby quilt for our niece. The help I received was invaluable. I finished the quilt and mailed it three days ago.

22. Pam says:

This shop is wonderful. Terry and her girls are very supportive and extremely helpful every time I need something. You are sure to find “something” when you go visit. Love this place…love the atmosphere too!

23. Lynda F Whitton says:

Only been there once, but wish it or I was closer. I was heading back to Austin area after a big circuit of shops during the first Shop Hop across TX. I knew we were fighting the clock to get there by 5 pm, but I called her and she kept the door open. I left with lots of goodies and was so glad she went that extra mile for me. I completed the Austin region because of it.

24. Cindy Henneke says:

It’s a great shop! I’m fortunate to live close and visit whenever I want. Terry is definitely a friend, always coming out to chat even when busy. The LSQW ladies are so helpful as well. You can go here and get everything you need for a project or just to feed the stash! I’ve purchased a machine, lots of fabric and taken top notch classes. So I’m grateful for this small business and encourage anyone needing a machine or quilting / sewing supplies to go there.

25. Terry is a wonderful supporter and mentor for all people associated with quilting. Her shop and employees are first class. I’m so happy that Lonestar Quiltworks was recognized by Moda.

26. Lone Star Quiltworks is like the “Cheers” bar without alcohol. Everyone knows your name and will help with whatever you need. It is not just about selling merchandize, it is about the people, connections and relationships.

27. Martha Bruggeman says:

In all of my travels around the USA and abroad through the years, LSQ is one of the very best I have found. Always a great selection of fabrics and other supplies and such a wonderful, friendly and helpful staff. I am very fortunate to live in the same area.

28. Terry and her staff are just awesome! I have made three Aggie quilts and LSQW always
    has the perfect maroon fabric that I needed. Their customer service is top notch!

29. HC says:

We only recently discovered this wonderful shop when we dropped off our daughter for her first semester at A&M. I’m looking forward to visiting again. I was especially impressed with the number of items on display.

30. Judith Neff says:

It is the best shop that I have been in in Texas, if she does not have it in the shop she will. do her best to get what you need. All. her clerks are so helpful. and let you k\now which fabrics are the best to match your quilt patterns. My favorite shop for years and the one I recommend to all. my friends.