Featured Shop: Welcome Fall at Pumpkinberry Stitches!

For Lisa Marien, it all started with a building. A 130-year old building to be exact. While on vacation she checked Facebook and learned that a friend who owned a candy shop in her Lake City, Minnesota hometown was moving and wanted to sell her building.dscn5584

dscn5599

Lisa Marien, proprietor of Pumpkinberry Stitches, surrounded by a mustard and white quilt “Illusions,” one of Moda’s 12 pack quilts; “Scrappy Star,” another of Moda’s 12 pack quilts, a fall table topper “Center Stage” by Pieced Tree Patterns and a bike and sewing machine, part of “Snapshots,” a free quilt-along offered by Fat Quarter Shop’s Blog, “The Jolly Jabber.”

With its 12-foot, tin-topped ceilings, it had all the charm Lisa was looking for and she made it even better by taking down plywood that covered some of the windows. “Now it’s light and airy and has lots of character,” says Lisa. The additional light especially enhanced the back room where she holds small classes and stitches on a daily basis. “I can sew in the back and see who comes in the front door,” she says.

dscn5597

Another shot of the shop includes the large runner Winterlude, a free from Moda; a red, white, and black quilt “Happy Child” by Villa Rosa Designs; and a Christmas quilt “Persimmon” from Let’s Quilt Something, featuring Delightful December.

Those who come through that door are greeted by an array of fabrics and a constantly changing display of samples, the very ones Lisa sews in her back room. The original checkerboard floor adds a homey feel and black shelves make the fabric pop. (“Had I known how much lint and dust bolts of fabric give off, I might have reconsidered that black,” Lisa says with a laugh.)

dscn5585

Kits for a table topper featuring Sandy Gervais’ Beauty Fall.

dscn5589

Quilts in this photo include One Block Star”-a free pattern from Fons and Porter.com, featuring Turning Leaves by Holly Taylor; a square in a square table topper- Candy Squares” by Pumpkinberry Designs featuring Beauty Fall by Sandy Gervais; a pillow “Scattered Squares,” a free pattern on Moda Bake Shop featuring mini charm pack of Oak Haven by Kansas Troubles.

Moda fabrics are a favorite in the shop, which reflects Lisa’s more traditional tastes, and customers enjoy lines by Kansas Troubles, Bonnie and Camille, Sandy Gervais, and Fig Tree. “I’m a little obsessed with Fig Tree fabrics, they never put out anything I don’t like,” says Lisa, who has worked with Moda rep Julie Kehne since the shop opened. Lisa and Julie got to know one another quickly as Julie’s first visit to Pumpkinberry Stitches was during a typically frigid and snowy Minnesota winter—the weather was so bad that Julie was stranded and ended up spending the night with Lisa’s mom.

dscn5592

Lisa stitched up the Summer Blooms pattern from the Moda Bake Shop using a Bonnie and Camille Handmade layer cake.

dscn5595

Quilts in this photo include the red and tan quilt “9-Patch Stars,” one of the Moda 12 pack quilt patterns; “Pepie” named for Lake Pepin’s own sea monster, an original quilt (Lake City sits at a wide part of the Mississippi known as Lake Pepin); and the red and grey quilt “Criss Cross,” another one of Moda’s 12-pack quilts.

While the shop started five-and-a-half years ago, Lisa’s love of quilting goes back much farther. She’s been quilting for 30 years and was originally inspired by her mom. In the 1980s, the two would go to fabric stores together and while Lisa’s mom bought yardage, Lisa would buy fat quarters. “I was into more crafty projects—remember Mr. and Mrs. Cow?” she says. “I didn’t want to quilt because I liked projects you could start and finish in a day.” Then she discovered quilt patterns that would let her do just that, and those are the same types of patterns she enjoys today. Pumpkinberry Stitches is known for its myriad kits, many of which feature fast and easy patterns from companies Lisa favors, including the Pieced Tree, Villa Rosa, and the 12-pack quilts available to shop owners via Moda’s site. (Shop owners can find these under the Marketing Tools section once they’ve logged in: go to Shop Programs, then 12-pack Quilts).

dscn5586

Leaves, a Moda 12-pack pattern available to shop owners.

Lisa loves every aspect of shop ownership, from changing her displays to reflect the season—the window currently features a skeleton stitching at a treadle machine, with a sign saying “Just one more stitch…”, to sewing samples, to welcoming the visitors who drop by her Mississippi River town. “Fabric isn’t a necessity, so it has to be special and feel like a present,” says Lisa, who folds her fat quarters into stars and makes sure customers always have something new to see. Opening the shop was something of a gamble, but Lisa’s never regretted her decision to leave her previous career. “I quit a good job, bought a building, and gave it a try,” says Lisa. “I’m winging it, and having a ball.”

48 comments on “Featured Shop: Welcome Fall at Pumpkinberry Stitches!

1. Sally says:

Very cute shop. I’ll have to put it on my list of shops to see! Have a lovely winter!

2. Lisa Marien says:

Thank you Sally !! Lisa…from Pumpkinberry Stitches.

3. michelle heath says:

Absolutely love the shop!! One of my favorites! And Lisa is the biggest reason I keep coming back.So friendly and helpful!! Love ya dear!

4. Tracie says:

This is my favorite local quilt shop! I’ve stitched a few of Lisa’s quilt kits and share her love of Fig Tree fabrics, so this is my go-to source. The best part of this place: Lisa’s friendly greeting and excitement to share her craft. This shop is a gem.

5. Charming store!! LIsa displays tons of great products in just a darling way. I love visiting her!

6. Evelyn Rau says:

Whenever I am near Lake City, I make a point of stopping at Pumpkinberries. Lisa is so creative, that I always leave with a new project that I cannot wait to make, and I always love the finished item. A wonderful shop.

7. Barb Sanders says:

My cousins & I were In your shop earlier this summer…bought the Gold & White “Illusions” just getting ready to finish it up. We three just loved your shop & your wonderful personality…..hope to be back there soon as we aren’t to far away. Keep up all the great work.

8. Kathy Aho in MN says:

I have been there and the shop is every bit as nice as shown here. Lovely, friendly Lisa is so nice and helpful too. One of my favorite shops!

9. Kathy Breen says:

This is a lovely quilt shop. Not just worth a stop when you are passing through, but worth a trip to shop there. Love Pumpkinberry Stitches!

10. Margaret says:

What an inspirational shop! Maybe some day . . .

11. Rose says:

We bought a vaca home this year by you and I found your shop in a week. Love all your beautiful fabric and your knowledge. Will be visiting often again in the spring!

12. Susan says:

I would love to have a quilt shop near me but a quilt shop like THIS one would be beyond my wildest dreams. Such great sampless and kits !

13. Gloria Fort (Pollema) says:

You have the neatest shop, your ideas are so nice, and your area to sit and chat is so special. Hi to your Mom

14. When I am visiting friends in Lake City, I always visit Pumpkinberry Stitches! Wonderful quilt shop!

15. Barb says:

Do you sell any quilt runners ect. already made? I love to buy pieces made since I’ve never learned how to quilt!!

16. Dot Gusa says:

Awesome shop and Lisa is so welcoming! Love sewing with her!

17. Kristi says:

What a cute shop! I hope you have many years of success!

18. andi gustafson says:

the shop is great, lovely fabrics ,kits etc but it is the owner who makes it a good place to go. lisa always takes the time to make a person feel special,, she is a gift. it’s a lovely place to go and visit. andi

19. Lynn says:

I was visiting my Aunt who lives near this shop last summer. I was so glad I stopped at this lovely quilt store! Lisa was charming! I commented on the quilting on one of her quilts. She told me she quilted it herself and gave me her tips using a domestic machine. This was my favorite of all the quilt stores I stopped at on our road trip from Phoenix, AZ to MN. I wanted to make everything Lisa had on display!!!

20. Susan says:

What a darling shop – wish we had a shop like this close by! Everything looks so nice and I’d like to make one of each – thanks for sharing and I love the story too!

21. Virginia Marien says:

So proud of Lisa’s shop and all her creativity and work she puts into it even tho I know she really loves what she is doing. I love helping her out and meeting her great customers.

• Lisa Marien says:

Awww. Thanks mom. Without you sharing your love for sewing/quilting with me, I’m sure my shop never would have happened. Love you.

22. Marilyn says:

Lovely shop! Best wishes for much success!

23. Jodi says:

Love this series of virtual quilt shops, I will be adding this shop to my list. Thanks for sharing

24. Cathy says:

I recently moved back to Chicago area from the Lake City/Red Wing area, I really miss Lisa and her shop full of perfect fabric. I make it a point to stop by when I pass though town to see ole quilting friends in Red Wing that gather every week at the Crossroads church in Red Wing. It was great seeing you last weekend on my way to quilt retreat!

• Lisa Marien says:

It was great to see you too Cathy. I miss you. 🙁 Attention Chicagoland quilt shops…she’s a gem..treat her well.

• Cathy says:

Thank you! How sweet. The feature shop article was great. Hope it brings you LOTS of business that you deserve.