Inspire me…

Ideas and inspiration always come from somewhere.

ct-collage

Painter. Musician. Author. Inventor. Builder.  It doesn’t matter what is being created, the idea for the “what” has to come from somewhere.  Great artists express what they see, hear or feel, and they reinterpret it with their own vision.

As quilters, we do the same thing.  We are inspired by what we see from art, design and what we see from other quilters.  Their vision has an impact on ours even if we don’t realize it.

So where do you find inspiration?

I love art books, museums and yes, magazines.  For color, for pattern and design, for refining my sense of what I like… even as it changes.  And yes, I love social media – Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.  (It’s why iPads were invented.)  It can be a visual sensory overload but if you’re looking for an idea, or even something to spark an idea, it’s a wonderful place to start.

Following people is easy – figuring out who to follow is a personal, individual preference.  (I included some of my favorite “just for fun and not a quilter” people at the end.)

I also follow a couple of hashtags – meaning that I check into them frequently to see what’s new and happening.

This is one of my regulars because I’m always looking to see what folks are making with Moda fabric.  #ShowMeTheModa

ct-showmethemoda

Hundreds of images are added to this hashtag every day.  Okay, so some of the posts are people and shops having a de-stash sale.  It’s easy to scroll past them… unless you’re looking for something.

The same #showmethemoda hashtag on Facebook will bring up all the posts with that hashtag – many from your favorite designers, shops and quilters.

ct-fb-showmethemoda

Hashtags are a great way to see what’s going on with a favorite designer – #figtreeandco.

ct-figtreeandco

Or find a quilt-along.  This started in 2014 and it’s still being added to frequently.  #apqquiltalong

ct-apqquiltalong

This is also a great “hashtag” on Pinterest – though it comes up when you do a Search for the terms – apq quiltalong

ct-pinterest-apq-quiltalong

From variations on the original design to color palettes and fabric styles, the pages are filled with all kinds of ideas that provide inspiration.

Are you looking for an idea of what to make with a big basket of scraps and strips?  Something like a Log Cabin Quilt?  #logcabinquilt

ct-logcabinquilt

Or #stringquilt.

What about #jellyrollquilt?  Or #layercakequilt.

Are you trying to find pictures and examples of the Splendid Sampler blocks?  #splendidsampler

ct-splendidsampler

And on Pinterest – Search – splendid sampler.

ct-pinterest-splendid-sampler

So do you use hashtags?  Do you use them for inspiration?  Or to find something specific?

In addition to just searching for things that interest you, look at the hashtags being used by people you follow or whose work you love.  Then check out those hashtags!  Some are filled with all sorts of other stuff – be careful and be forewarned – but you’ll also find some gems.

That’s it for today – Happy Tuesday!

No, I didn’t forget… these are some of my favorite Instagram feeds.  Rupa takes beautiful pictures of her dogs and horses – Freyaeverafter.  Of course I follow a couple of “dogs” – this puppy is my favorite – Ollievuesomuch.  A flower farm in Washington State – FloretFlower – because all those flowers! And Phillip – a self-described foodie and midnight-baker – SouthernFatty.

10 comments on “Inspire me…

1. patty says:

Love seeing all the different projects and fabric. I don’t know anything about posting to instagram or pinterest, but I enjoy seeing all the inspiration that I see. I did make a queen sized Moda Halloween quilt. It turned out so nice and doesn’t scream Halloween. Let me know if you would like to see it. I had taken it to QuitlCon 2014 (it was not in the show) and people loved it.

2. Barb says:

I, too, follow my favorite quilters and fabric designers on Pinterest and Instagram. I have discovered and joined a quilt a long, and some delightful creative blogs to follow. Social media is a great “maker” resource for me, whether I am looking for color inspiration or a pumpkin bar recipe. And I love the fabric collection previews Moda shares, the guest “recipe” designers, sewing tips, ALL of it!! Thanks for shifting my perception from guilty pleasure to valuable tool

3. Linda H says:

I’m “somewhat” tech savvy but left by the side of the road with hashtags, Twitter and the others. Would love to know how to engage in these forms of communication … do you know where one can find basic instructions on their use??

• Nancy says:

I’m in that same boat with you. I never ‘got’ hashtags and how they get on a post.

• Mary Andra says:

One example…..If you have not done so yet, up load Instagram icon on your cell phone. Post a picture on a project or a piece of Moda Fabric. Then type #showmethemoda and tap the word post. Wait a few moments. Open your picture, tap the hashtag word you typed and all the pictures that the hashtag #showmethemoda were used will appear. Including the one you posted. I’m not sure but I hope this helps you.

• Nancy says:

I don’t have or want a smart phone. I only use a desktop. 🙂 But I see you have to type whatever words you want then after the # ?

• Hildy says:

I don’t have or need a smartphone either but instagram is kind of fun and you only need your PC/Laptop to use it. Just to go the instagram site and you can easily register. If you wanna upload photos to your account you best use Gramblr it’s easy to install (if I could do it I’m sure everyone can do it;-) To read DMs (direct messages) you need to download Bluestacks. If you have Windows 10 you can easily install the instagram app there and can then use it like you would use it on a smartphone. Hope that helps;-)

Like I wrote in the reply above I don’t have or need a smartphone but instagram is kind of fun. It’s sometimes easily to get lost in all the different accounts and hashtags and then to remember which photo inspired you to do what. That being said I currently contribute to these two hastags the most right now (and to #showmethemoda of course;-) #100blocksaday for the Tula Pink City Sampler which is really fun and #30daysofquiltdesign which is also a lot of fun and is a lot of inspiration. That being said for the #30daysofquiltdesign I was inspired/copied a mosaic I’ve seen a few years ago while being in Greece and this was made about 2300 years ago (I still need to upload the design). So you see inspiration can and is everywhere and mostly someone else already made something similar.

5. I can find inspiration in the bathroom floor tile, or the textured ceiling panel. Patterns for blocks and quilting of blocks are all around us.

6. Cosmetics says:

They are amazing. Creative work indeed.