It’s official…

I’m behind.

CT-No-Progress

My Little Ruby Goes to Oz quilt for the quilt-along didn’t see any progress since the last time.  Worse… it’s neatly packed in a WIP-bin.  (It’s now officially a PIB – a Project In a Bin.)  That’s never a good sign.

Just to catch everybody up – Camille of Bonnie & Camille designed a really cute quilt using their gorgeous Little Ruby collection.  Then she teamed with the nice folks at The Jolly Jabber to do a four-part quilt-along.  Part 3 is today – actually, I’m a day or two behind on that too.

LR-Part3-Header

I’m also not using Little Ruby – I know, I love it too but I have this compulsive need to be different… I think it’s genetic.  I’m using a mix of Jen Kingwell collections – mostly Moving On Lawns with some Lollies, Gardenvale and Just A Speck mixed in.  The wonderful dark background fabric is from Behind the Scenes.

So that you’re all caught up…

If you’re following along – sewing or not – you know that the strip sets yield two different pieced triangles.  They can be used to make a second quilt of the same design, just with the print-background parts reversed.  The quilt is the same but it’s also different.  Still… while cutting out the triangles, I started playing with some options and I decided to piece the “leftovers” a little bit differently.  You’re surprised, right?

CT-Little-Ruby-Change

I’m going to piece long strips and I might use them for the back of the quilt.  I’m sure I’ll have to add to it to make it big enough, probably some strips and bigger pieces.  But it could be fun, right?  Of course, if I really like the way it turns out, I can use it for the front of a second very different quilt.

And folks wonder how I fall behind on these things.

Most of my sewing this past week has been finishing up the Maker blocks for my Frivols Sampler quilt.  If I’ve counted correctly, I have about eighteen more blocks to make.

CT-Frivols-Maker-Blocks

My fabrics are a mix of Jen Kingwell’s collections – yeah, yeah, I really love these fabrics – assorted pieces from other designers and the backgrounds are from Hey Dot and Modern Backgrounds Paper by Brigitte Heitland for Zen Chic.

Can you believe it’s been almost a year since the Frivols started?

CT-Frivols-Tins

I love how the tins look stacked on the shelf.  A few still have the kit and parts included, but several have been emptied and are now filled with “other trinkets”.  I have collected all the Frivols’ “extras” – the little “exclusives” – and I’ve considered getting a few extra Frivols 8 and 11 just for the little tin inside.

CT-Frivols-Extra-Tins

Frivol No. 8 – Bread ‘n Butter by American Jane.  Frivol No. 11 – Sew & Sew by Chloe’s Closet.  They’re the same size as the adorable hexie tins we were all fighting over collection.

But I digress… let me get back to sewing Maker blocks and finishing my Frivols Sampler quilt.  This is one of the blocks in my quilt – it should look a bit like Atelier, the quilt from Frivol No. 5 – French General’s Petite Prints Deux.

CT-Frivols-Extras

A friend asked the other day if I had a plan for this quilt and my answer was “kinda sorta”.  Meaning – I have a plan but I’m still not sure it’s going to work.  I’m not worried though because that’s the fun of “making”, isn’t it?  It’s less about the destination than the journey.  However it turns out – cool, “nice” or “what was she thinking”… you’ll get to see it sometime in July.

That’s it for today.  Can you believe Friday is July 1st?

Happy Tuesday!

16 comments on “It’s official…

1. Mary Andra Holmes says:

Another great posting. Thank you Carrie

2. Kristi says:

I read your posts religiously but somehow missed the Maker blocks from the Frivols series. Could you please tell me where to go for more information? I love your blocks so far and need another PIB!Thanks.

Hi Kristi – Inside each Frivols tin is a card. On one side is a quotation selected by the fabric designer for the collection, and on the other side is the diagram and cutting for a quilt block. We called the blocks, the Maker blocks and each one can be made in two sizes – 4 1/2″ finished and 6″ finished.

For the Sampler quilt I’m making, I’ve made each block in both sizes… okay, I have two of the blocks where I have to go back and make the 4 1/2″ finished size. I’m also making a block from each of the twelve Frivols quilts for my Sampler. A couple will be re-sized to be smaller – and yes, I’m going to have to add some “side pieces” to most of the blocks to make them all the same size. Or get it all to fit properly.

Like I wrote, I have a plan… we’ll see if it works. 🙂

3. quiltbabe says:

::Snort:: “Behind”? If I can’t die until I complete my *current* WIP and PIB list, I can confidently say I will live beyond forever.

I adore the combination of polka dot and print fabrics in the Maker’s blocks – so very fresh and cute.

Me too! We can keep each other company at the “old quilter’s home”. 🙂 And yes – me too on the polka dots and prints. I love the mix.

4. Nina says:

The fabrics you selected by Jen kingwell are not ones I would have been immediately attracted to, but I absolutely love them in your blocks. I will definitely consider them going forward and appreciate the growth experiences I receive because of quilting. Thank you.

5. chrissy says:

I am perpetually behind… and forever starting things I am not sure will work. Glad to know I am in good company! 🙂 Can’t wait to see this … and love how you have random bits thrown in there from other collections too!

6. Sandra B says:

Behind?
    If there is someone who quilts, who is caught up, I would love to meet her/him!!
    If I don’t have several (or more than several!) quilts in progress at any given time, it makes me feel like I need to go start something new!! I have to have a good variety of options, right?
    Love this post, Carrie! And I love your fabric choices for your Little Ruby quilt along….I also have to put my own slant on any pattern I use. And I love your idea to put the alternate layout on the back…what fun!! I never make a backing any more that is just a single fabric….even if I make a mini sized quilt, I still piece the backing. I just like the surprise on the back…back in January, I finished up a wedding quilt for our niece….it was a big quilt, so I needed to piece it anyway since I was using regular width fabric, and just thought it would be more fun…so I pulled the same fabrics used on the front and pieced a strip to go on the back…turned out great…

7. Kristie Michalowski says:

Will Moda be doing more Frivols?

8. pamelajs56 says:

I adore your back ground fabrics used with your Makers blocks. Sweet! Beautifully done!

9. Sherrie says:

All very nice and Cosy! Well I am not behind, Just catching Up! Ruby quilt fabric is rather dark. It is nice. Thank – you for sharing!

10. Diana Wylie says:

Love your fabric choices for these ! They are great….. keep on sewing …

11. Robyn J says:

Luv the fabrics & they tins are just delightful.
    Were the tins available in Australia ?

12. Mary Ann says:

I so enjoy being in your good company…behind, hey yes!