It’s a Frivolous Friday!

CT-Brio-Angle

This is Brio.

Brio?  It means bright, vivacious and full of vigor.  It’s the perfect description for Sandy Klop – aka American Jane.  I don’t think I’ve ever been around Sandy when she didn’t have a smile on her face and a happy greeting for everyone she encountered.

CT-Sandy-Klop

Sandy’s Bread ‘n Butter collection is comprised of the wonderful vintage, feedsack-looking prints and colors that are her signature.

CT-Bread-&-Butter

Isn’t that watermelon-pink to-die-for gorgeous?  I’ll need some “extra” of that – and really, Sandy’s collections work so fabulously well together for uber-scrappy quilts that it’s hard not to stash lots and lots of it.

Brio has nine blocks and a pieced inner border that uses all 42 of the Frivols squares.  For the background, you’ll need 2 1/4 yards of a single fabric – we used a white Bella solid – to make a quilt that measures 47″ x 47″ finished.

CT-In-The-Tin

Frivol No. 8 ~ Bread ‘n Butter will contain:

• A roll of 42 squares – 7″ x 7″ from the Bread ‘n Butter collection by Sandy Klop of American Jane ~ there are duplicates of several prints.
  • The pattern for the quilt we’ve titled “Brio”
  • A positively adorable little American Jane tin – a Frivols exclusive that you can’t get anywhere else
  • 1 Maker block card with a block pattern and a quotation provided by Sandy

Note:  The mini charm packs are not included – I included those to show the size of the mini tin.

Alert! Alert! Correction! There is a Correction to the pattern – Background, Sashing, and Borders.  The first line should say 3 – 5 1/2″ x width of fabric strips.  From the strips, cut 18 – 5 1/2″ squares.

Maker Blocks.

CT-Maker-8

I’ve been busy making blocks and I’m getting caught up – the quilt I am making will use at least three of each block.

CT-Stardust

This is Stardust, it’s one of the gorgeous quilts Sandy made using her Bread ‘n Butter collection.  It’s a favorite.

One last thing, because several of us in the office are actually using our tins for storage – binding kits, to hold threads, etc. – I got to wondering how difficult it would be to remove the lid – to undo the hinge.

It’s very easy – a small flat-head screwdriver and a pair of needle-nose pliers will do the trick nicely.

CT-Frivol-Taken-Apart

Use the flat-head screwdriver to carefully push the copper-colored wire toward the center.  It should be enough to undo the hinge at the back of the tin on the one side – if it isn’t, use the needle-nose pliers to pull the wire enough to release the hinge.  Then use the screwdriver or pliers to push the wire back the other direction.  Remove the wire so it doesn’t catch on anything and that’s it.

Next month – another Frivolous Friday, this time with Little Miss Sunshine by Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique.

Have a terrific weekend!

25 comments on “It’s a Frivolous Friday!

1. Jacoba says:

How cheery and wonderful!

2. Jacque says:

Great fabric line and I love both of the quilts shown.

3. I am a huge fan of “American Jane’s” fabrics and quilts – she takes adorable to a whole new level! The fabric collection is wonderful as is the pretty block in your blog post! One question: When are we going to get to see your blocks???? I know how spectacular they will be – can’t wait! Have a nice weekend, Carrie!

Perfect description of Sandy and so true. Love this line and patterns to go with it. Great use and trick for Frivols tins. Fabulous tiny tin.

5. Tamara Williams says:

So happy. I’ve done several of these as inspiration for scrap projects. I think I’ll actually buy this one! Love the happy colors!

6. LOVE this fabric and the quilts are gorgeous!!

7. Margaret Lippert says:

I want! I want! I want! I am in my little kid phase I guess, time for vacation from work!! I need a sew day or two. Love this frivol tin, hope I can get time to order soooon!!!

8. Betty Harden says:

Love the fabric and I can’t wait for it to hit the streets. I love this pattern. Will be making it as soon as the LQS gets this Frivol. I like American Jane lines. I am collecting Frivols and I can hardly wait for this one. Being a Modaholic, bring it on. Love this column. Keep it coming. Thanks. Happy Friday folks. Betty

9. Karen Goad says:

this one looks good, the pattern and the fabric and the tiny tin can inside too

10. Darlene says:

I know that this Frivols project has been sent – thank you, Fat Quarter Shop – I’m tempted to set up a chair and umbrella by my mailbox to wait for the postal person. A Rt 44 Cherry Limeade from Sonic would keep me refreshed while I wait.

Can I get a YUM?

Now, you’ve done it – love that pattern, too.

11. Carol fun says:

I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this collection … LOVE American Jane!

12. 8machines says:

I too love American Jane! Her fabrics are so “Happy”. Thank you for this pattern. I’m off to buy a layer cake!

13. 2sasi says:

I wish we could get frivols in New Zealand. They look so wonderful. The postage would be horrendous.

14. Asoka Jayawickrama says:

Lovely,,
    Lovely prints

15. Karen Taylor says:

Carrie,

I think the Brio pattern in the Frivols 8 box has an error. The cutting instructions say to cut 18 of 7 inch squares. The construction instructions say to draw a grid on the back of the 18 5 1/2 inch squares. I think the cutting instructions should say 5 1/2 inch squares.

Hi Karen – You’re right, thank you for the heads-up and the assist. Since my Bread ‘n Butter tin seems to have disappeared, I had to track down a copy of the actual printed pattern to confirm that yes, we’d missed that. 🙂

16. nettiecrain says:

Amazing, you are just “amazing” in everything you design Sandy! Keep up the good work.
    (an admirer from years ago when you worked at Thimblecreek) xoxo Annette Crain (now residing in Spanish Fork, UT)

17. Leota Krantz says:

Love my newest Frivol.

18. Mary Humphrey says:

Thanks Karen Taylor for confirming what we thought, 18 – 5.5″ squares. I was looking here for input, glad you were here before me!

19. Debbie says:

I agree with the need to cut 3) 5 1/2″ strips of background and subcut into 18) 5 1/2″ squares, not 7″

20. Lauralee says:

My tin came in the mail yesterday. My eight year old said, “MOM! You have to stop all your other quilts and make this one! It’s for SPRING!” She is going to help me with it (once I finish the two gift quilts that I am making!). And my son saw the mini tin and Begged me for it! He said, “It’s perfect for all of my favorite lego characters!” Then they both ransacked the rest of my frivol tins oohing and ahhing at the fabric and gifts!

21. B from Canada says:

Isn’t the name of the block “Darting Bird”, not “Dating Bird”?

Oh my gosh! I hadn’t noticed that but you’re right – it is supposed to be Darting Bird. Though maybe this little birdie likes to play the field a little bit. 🙂

Thank you for the “eagle eye” – I appreciate it.

22. Betty Doty says:

Hi, I am getting all the Frivols Tin kits each month but find it difficult to follow along with the blog. Which cutting table blog goes with which Number of Frivol Tin?? Where are all the corrections listed? Where is information on Number 3 and Number 5??