100 Blocks…

I love block books – books filled with different quilt blocks – and I have a lot of them.

CT-Block-Books

I don’t know exactly how many I have because I refuse to count them – it might make me think twice about buying more.  Okay, probably not but I’d still rather not have an exact count.

So it probably shouldn’t come as any surprise that I’ve also been a longtime fan of Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks magazines.  Did you know that the most recent issue is Volume 12?  That’s 1200 blocks!

CT-1200-Blocks

This past year, the lovely ladies at Quiltmaker decided to do a sewalong with 100 of the blocks from those first 12 issues.  But they decided to put a twist on the blocks – they’d make them half-size!  The blocks finish at 6″ instead of the original 12″.

After that, the rest was easy.  Sampler quilts?  Done.  Multiple versions? Done.  A blog hop-quiltalong? Done.

CT-Quiltmaker-100-Blocks-Samplers

Welcome to the Quiltmaker 100 Blocks Sampler Sewalong!  Block pictures and a piecing diagram will be posted weekly on the Quilty Pleasures blog.

Update: My goof.  I mistakenly thought the patterns were available as a free download but they are only available as a for-purchase PDF pattern.

Block 1 was designed by Lynn Roddy Brown – it is titled Spinning Star and it is Block No. 261, found in Volume 3.  (That was an outstanding issue.)

CT-Quiltmaker-Block-1

Village Square is Block 2 of the Sampler – it was block No. 967 from Volume 10 of Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks.  It was designed by Mickey Depre.

CT-Quiltmaker-Block-2

Block 3 of the Sampler is/was Block No. 291 – also in Volume 3.  It is titled Get The Point?

CT-Got-the-Point

It was “designed” by some silly Rosie person.

With the 6″ finished size of the block – and the 1″ finished half-triangle squares, I decided to use an assortment of Cross Weaves for my block.  Blocks.  Of course I’m making something with this – a pillow.

CT-Get-the-Point

I’ll need 16 blocks or 64 of these units.  I have eleven made.  I’ll let you know when I finish.

The block is easy to make – half-triangle squares, a couple of connector corners and strips.  Easy peasy, right?  The only challenge is that the pieces are a bit small – but that’s also the best part about it.  And keeping the pieces oriented properly while assembling the blocks, that can be tricky too.  Ask me how I know?

A few of these blocks will have a seam re-sewn to get a better point on the half-triangle squares – that’s sometimes the challenge for me with cross weaves – they can be a bit stretchier than most quilting cottons.  I do best when I size these fabrics and I didn’t have time to do that.  Next time, right?

Until then, hop on over to say “Hi” to the ladies at Quilty Pleasures.  I might be back later with some Easter fun.

Happy Wednesday!

9 comments on “100 Blocks…

1. TeresaYarch says:

hi my name is Teresa Yarch i am a self taught quilter and i design my own patterns but there i 1 pattern that i cant figure out for so long its called chips and whetstones Jean Biddick she had the quilt featured on simply quilts Jean said it was just a mariners compus but i cant figure this one out PLEASE HELP
    TERESA

Hi Teresa – I recommend one of the terrific books about Mariner’s Compass quilts – particularly those by Judy Mathieson. 🙂

2. Helen LeBrett says:

Love your block Carrie! Simple but very striking! 🙂

Your blocks look great so far! Now I nned to check out this sew-along … they are like potato chips for me … I can’t have enough of them;-)

4. Cathy says:

Looks like fun! However… there are no free patterns to join in – only diagrams with no measurements. Disappointing!

Hi Cathy – My mistake. You’re right. Somewhere along the line, I got the impression that the block patterns were being provided, but only the diagrams. I think I got it mixed up with the Splendid Sampler Jane Davidson and Pat Sloan are doing – those patterns are free. 🙂 (If you’re interested – http://blog.patsloan.com/the-splendid-sampler/)

5. Hi Carrie – your blocks are gorgeous!!!!! And your love of Block Books left me singing (in my head) “She loves block books and she cannot lie, you other quilter’s can’t deny, when a book arrives with it’s pretty, pretty blocks and you think ‘that really rocks’…” (LOL). Looked at the sampler block images – sampler quilts are my ongoing weakness – then read that they were scaled down to 6-inch blocks (gulp), and looked at the many tiny, little pieces (another gulp) and thought to myself, “Yeah. I’ll look at Carrie’s blocks and drool over them.” (instead of tackling one myself). But maybe some day…you just never know! Can’t wait to see the rest of your quilt – hope you’ll show us more as it comes along!

6. Linda Ferguson says:

Hi Carrie- block books are fabulous and I enjoyed looking at your pile. I am glad to find you on the Internet. I have been revisiting your books and have two of your old patterns in the works. I panicked recently thinking your patterns were gone forever and I don’t own enough of them, so I have searched Etsy and eBay. One of my favorite all time quilts I have made is Birds Eye. Is there any chance Eventide will be reissued? Thanks again for all the inspiration.

7. Hello Carrie! I rather like your block! I really hope we get to see the finished pillow at some point. My goodness tis the season for sewalongs this year! I am still catching up on my Moda shuffle blocks and I delved into the Splendid sampler as well! I was curious as to what your top ten favorite quilting or sewing books would be?