With a songbird in my heart…

We’re getting a pretty little stack of Frivol quilts!

CT-Stack-of-Frivols

When it comes to creating primitive designs and fabrics, Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings does it the best.  If you look up synonyms for “heart”, you’ll find words like character, feeling, soul and passion, all words that I think describe Lisa perfectly.

CT-Lisa-B

So when it came to naming the quilt for the Frivol made with her fabric, it was an easy choice.  This is Heart – Frivol No. 7.

CT-Frivol-7-Heart

The prints in Songbird Gatherings are small-scale shirting-like prints that are ideal for the “lots of pieces” quilts Lisa loves so much – that look was the inspiration for this little quilt – it measures 27.75″ x 27.75″ finished.

CT-Frivol-Contents

Frivol No. 7 ~ Songbird Gatherings will contain:

• A roll of 42 squares – 7″ x 7″ from the Songbird Gatherings collection by Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings ~ there are duplicates of several prints.  And you’ll use them all – no leftovers here.
  • The pattern for the quilt we’ve titled “Heart”
  • One sheet of triangle paper to make the 1 1/4″ finished half-triangle squares.
    • Note: The paper can be photo-copied to get the required number of sheets.
    • Update: The pattern states that the page can be downloaded but the URL is incorrect.  The PDF with the triangle paper is available HERE.
  • A Moda-labeled scissor-keep – a Frivols exclusive
    • Note: There is only one scissor keep in the tin – we wanted to show both sides.
  • 1 Maker block card with a block pattern and a quotation provided by Lisa

Maker Blocks.

CT-Maker-Card

#modafrivols  There are more pictures – including finished quilts and Maker blocks.

CT-Maker-Blocks

That’s it for this week – at least I think it is.

Are you sewing this weekend?  I have some sewing to catch up on and a few things to finish so that’s what I’ll be doing.  And watching the Super Bowl, of course.

Happy Friday!

18 comments on “With a songbird in my heart…

1. Ellen says:

Because I have not seen Frivols in person, why does the inclusion card state that “Fabric of blocks is not included….”? Does it mean fabric for setting the blocks? After meeting Lisa Bongean in San Diego last June, I am so pleased to see this! What a wonderful inspiration!

Hi Ellen – That’s for the “extra blocks” on the quote card. It means that this is a little extra something – that if you want to make a few of the blocks, the fabric to make them isn’t included in the Frivols tin. It’s just a bonus – like pages from a block book. We’re making blocks every month and we’ll have a sampler quilt by the end of the Frivols’ year. 🙂

What a wonderful quilt! I don’t have the Frivol tins but I think I need to copy the quilt … think I can figure the math out … or at least something close to it. Have a wonderful weekend yourself:-)

Hi Hildy – “Close” is good enough. If it helps, the block is often called a Rocky Mountain Puzzle. 🙂

3. Hi Carrie! I love Lisa’s quilts and patterns – she has such impeccable design skills and her fabric selection talent is right up there with yours! My sewing this weekend will consist of making the second block in Pat Sloan’s Mystery BOM “My Secret Garden” and making a few more of my free motion embroidered and quilted “birdie” designs…but the big news is, I bought an embroidery only machine!! And lots of beautiful, heavyweight floursack towels for embroidering….I’m so excited! Everything will be arriving next week – and then, time to learn!!!! Have a great weekend – hope you’re loaded up on all things edible for the Big Game!

Hi Andrea! I’m so behind with e-mails – good wishes, I’m so sorry for your loss but happy that you’re excited about the new chapter in your life. (Insert one of those little “kiss” emojis here.)

You’ll have to tell me about your embroidery machine, it sounds like a lot of fun. I confess to liking what people do with them… but I’ve never taken the plunge. It’s simple – I need at least 18 more hours in every day, and at least 2 more days in every week. 🙂

I just cut up my AB Bundle of Song Bird in half to share with my sister Andee. Sharing is one of the things I love about Lisa. We do share the same birthday. Lol. I’ll be cutting and hopefully sewing some Windermere while I wait for Bespoke Blooms to be released for another new pattern. I’m sure I’ll be watching some football to.
    I’m sure I am not alone in Hoping those Moda scissor holders are coming in colors.

You’re a much better person than I am. I don’t share well… just ask the “Golden Child”. 🙂

The scissor keeps do come in other colors – pink, apple green, aqua, red and brown. But only this one says “Moda” on the one side. That’s what makes it “special”. lol

5. Betty Harden says:

I love the Frivols. Have 2 sets of each. One to make and one for keeping for a while. I too hope the scissors holders are in color. Great addition to the kit. Sometimes the surprise is surprising. But overall I have been pleased. The fabrics chosen and the patterns are wonderful. I am definitely a MODA person. I adore Kim Polson who is the Moda rep for this area and I am not a shop owner. She is a delightful friend and is a wonderful rep. I talk to shop owners when I visit them. Keep those tins coming. I have got to get this new one. Whooppee!!!!!

Hi Betty! Me too! It’s only because I get to pull one apart at work – FOR work – that I’ve been able to keep mine pristine and shrink-wrapped. What’s wrong with us? LOL (Shhhh… I really love the next one, American Jane. The Frivols surprise is probably my favorite.) (Probably? Right. Definitely my favorite.)

6. Mary Ann says:

Oh such fun with a Moda scissors keep! Loving these fun extras tucked into my Frivols. Have a great weekend Carrie!

7. Katy says:

No sewing this weekend. Going to take care of my 5 year old grandson for several days. Taking my knitting.

Hi Katy – I sewed enough for both of us… but I’ll bet you had more fun. I hope you had a terrific weekend. 🙂

8. rosa says:

Those frivols are yummiest.I haven´t seen them here,though the nearest quilt shop is morer or less 100km far away .

Rosa – I have just one thing to say… move! 🙂

I love the tins and the little quilts, but especially the tins. I’ve always loved little boxes and such so these are perfect. I keep buttons, ribbons, threads and all sorts of little geegaws in them. And they sure do look pretty stacked on the shelf. 🙂

9. Elizabeth E. says:

Just received mine, and am looking forward to diving in. Her Temecula shop is very close to me, so I already know about her and her amazing creativity. Fun for her to be spotlighted!

10. Ruth says:

I have recently come across your tote bag in the Fall 2013 Quilts and More magazine. I know the magazine is a couple of years old but am wondering what the red fabric is called and is it Moda or ??? I love everything you write and make.

Hi Ruth – All of the fabrics in that tote bag were from Sweetwater’s Road 15 collection from Moda. If you do a search for “Road 15 Sweetwater” on Etsy and eBay, that print is still available. 🙂 (And thank you – I appreciate the kind words.)