That was fast…

It’s been a year.  Fifty-weeks yesterday – 365 days today.

It flew by.  Since I moved to Dallas last December, there have been earthquakes and all sorts of weird weather – snow, ice, too much rain, plenty of heat and humidity, and a tornado or two.  (Based on all that, I’m a bit surprised I haven’t been asked to leave.)

The biggest challenge has been learning the pace – I was shocked the day I realized I was “over” a gorgeous fabric collection a few weeks before it was shipping to stores.  I was already waiting for the “next collection” and had been seeing the “new” collection for months.  I know… your heart is just breaking for me.  First-world-problems, right?

As I wrote in January, the best thing about being at Moda is the people.  I figured that out early on and it’s been confirmed on a daily basis.  I have figured out the voicemail – mostly – and I know at least five ways to get to and from work.  Susan doesn’t panic when I open inDesign files anymore and I’m not looking for pails on the floor every time someone mentions buckets.

It has been odd getting used to drawing up a quilt design and having someone else draw diagrams and do most of the pattern writing.  Odd – but really good.  Lisa C. is wonderful and on many occasions, her way of making the quilt was better than mine.  It’s been a gift to have a right-across-the-hall pattern proofreader, one with an engineering, number-crunching mind – that’s Tammy.

Even though most of the quilts I drew up for patterns and project sheets were made by others, I did do quite a bit of sewing last year – what I can only call “playing with the fabric.  I made quite a few quilts and I became obsessed with bags – mostly bags with zippers.  I also made quite a few pillows.

CT-Collage-1

I started three sampler quilts – not my best idea this year.  The blocks and flying geese for the Sampler Shuffle are done but I haven’t decided how I want to set them so that’s officially a WIP – work in progress – or PIB – project in bin/box.  So are my Farmer’s Wife blocks – I have made 27 of those.  The Maker Blocks for the Frivols are almost done and since that’s a priority, that will get finished first.

CT-Collage-2

Pincushions!  I forgot those – I made five of those.

Quilts?  In addition to the three sampler WIPs, I still have to finish the pink-and-yellow X-Plus blocks and the Barbara Brackman Stars in A Time Warp blocks.  The X-Plus is completely cut out but I’ve only made 3 of a planned 36 blocks.  I’ve made more star blocks – 37 – but I want to make 100.  Aim high, right?  Go big or go home, right?

The Log Cabin swap blocks are done – except I want to trim them down a bit and add another row of strips so technically, they’re not really done.  WIP.  There’s also the Block of the Month I signed up for and received kits for.  Does reading the pattern and fondling the fabrics qualify as a “start”?

Still, when it comes to quilts, I have more finishes for 2015 than UFOs.  I finished twelve big quilts.  (At least that’s the count based on the pictures on my phone.) (And no, I’m not counting the two new quilt projects I started over the holidays.)

So what’s up for this year?  In addition to finishing my WIPs, I’d like to make this Chic Country quilt using curved piecing and the Quick Curve Ruler from Sew Kind of Wonderful.  I’ve always liked curved piecing but it’s been awhile.

Chic Country

And bags – I want to make more bags.  A Catch-All Caddy and something from Sara Lawson’s book, Windy City Bags.  Those might have to wait though as I’ve got a few blog-hops on my schedule… and a sew-along or three.  And yes… I’ll just put it out there, the “M” word is already being spoken.  But the “Q” word will come first – QuiltCon.  See what I mean?  The pace is crazy – in a seriously good kind of way.

What about you?  Did you have more “starts” than “finishes” in 2015?  Is there something on your to-do list for this year – a class, a show or a technique you’d like to learn?

A friend asked if I had a “word for the year” – my theme.  I thought about it and started making a list of possibilities, and I stopped when I had to start a second column.  I’m still working on it so I think that makes my “word for 2016” a WIP too.  I’ll make a decision by next week and I’ll let you know which one I’ve chosen.

Just so long as my word for 2016 isn’t “pacemaker”, I think I’ll be fine.

Happy 2016!

39 comments on “That was fast…

1. Barbara Daniel says:

I feel your pain Carrie, I have been program chairman for our guild for the past few years so am expected to take about six classes there. I sometimes want to also take classes at our local quilt shops or at quilt shows. I usually am also obligated to be in several challenges a year and belong to a post card exchange. All of that leads to lots of UFOs every year. I did finish a queen size hand appliquéd quilt this year that I started over 10 years ago. Is that considered progress?

Loved hearing your happiness in your writings. Your encouraging words gives me hope to finish a few of toooooo many WIP’s in 2016. No word of the year for me yet. I didn’t even start a list either. Tomorrow’s another day……hopefully.

3. Rosalie says:

Hi Carrie…I would love to make the Chic Country quilt. Is there a website that you know of that carries this pattern and/or kit?

• Pam Roberts says:

Hi Rosalie. The link to Sew Kind of Wonderful website is in the notes but I didn’t notice so I Googled Chic Country and eventually ended up at the site. PDF pattern available there and I shall be adding this to my list of quilts to make.

4. Sue Vollbrecht says:

Hi Carrie, I am not one for making a statement for the New Year, but I did this year.
    “I love that quilt, I do not HAVE to make that quilt!”
    I will see how far that takes me.

5. Nancy says:

I don’t seem to be alone when I say that once the top is done, the fun/challenge is over and I feel the urgent need to start on another top before the last one is quilted. That is, unless I have a particular destination in mind, then I can finish. Otherwise, like yesterday, I was looking for a certain fabric in the stash and I came across my collection of lime greens. OH— I feel the need to do something with lime greens! Fun bright color. Oh, but wait… I need a make a baby quilt first for a very traditional Mommy who likes the old fashioned look. The lime green will have to sit (and maybe multiply) a bit longer. 🙂

You and Moda are the best team ever and I’m so happy that it works for both of you!
    No word for me, no resolutions but I plan to finish some WIPs and use fabrics from my stash … and you know plans can change;-)
    I think a quilter has always more starts then finishes because that how WIPs and UFOs are created, right? But I plan to not let the stack out of control (and remember plans can change!).

7. Nancy says:

Can you tell us about the House quilt and block? Is it a pattern? Congratulations on your year and look forward to hearing more from you. Nancy P.

8. Katy says:

Loved looking at your year of projects. My favorite completions are: 25 table squares for the Gift of Life House dining room in Rochester,MN, several pincushions, zipper bags, table runners, and several quilts of various sizes. I also have to find time to knit. Already working on large quilt with Miss Kate fabric. I love all Bonnie and Camile fabric. Thanks for your ideas.

9. linda says:

You’re so funny, love your writing style, and how those funny thoughts coming out of your head make it onto paper. Just don’t put your “one word motto” in a box! Dad passed away this year. My inheritance arrived in boxes last week. Starting a new season. It’s been wonderful to see the changes in your life since your Mom and Rosie are gone and the amazing things that have filled that void. Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

10. It’s been a fun year! I enjoy the voice you bring to Moda 🙂

Hi Christa! Happy 2016 to you – I can’t wait to see the new book!

And thank you – it’s a chatty, noisy “voice” but so far, so good, right? LOL

11. Cindy says:

Wow! You really accomplished a lot! So happy for you that you found a home at Moda. Can’t wait to see what 2016 brings!

12. Jen B says:

In the second collage there is a picture (third row, second from the left) of a log cabin quilt with a flying geese border, is there a pattern for it?

Hi Jen – No, there isn’t. Not yet anyway. That’s something I made with the “leftovers” from a mini quilt that will be in a book this year. I sort of goofed in my calculations of how many pieces I’d need and made twice the required amount. Oops. 🙂

If it helps, there are 16 log cabin blocks that finish at 4″ – 1″ finished center and 3 rounds of logs that finish at 1/2″. There is a 1″ border around the log cabin blocks and the flying geese in the border finish at 1″ x 2″. The fabrics are from Basic Mixologie and Modern Backgrounds Paper.

13. It’s been a fabulous year of you and Moda! I also have lots of started and ‘to be started’ projects and have found that the Finish-Along helps with that – you sound like the ideal candidate *grin* http://archiethewonderdog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/fal-2016-hosts.html

14. Happy New Year, Carrie! Wow. A whole year. Time flies… (Congratulations on your first anniversary)!

As always, your finishes and WIPs are spectacular, wonderful, inspiring – and I love seeing them. Of course, seeing them also made my 2016 bucket list longer (a lot longer)…Lol.

I seem to be following in your footsteps (about a year behind) in life. Big changes are afoot here as well – I am moving to Grand Manan (in the summers) and the Carolinas (in the winter). Opening a seasonal business on the island in May/June this year (The Painted Whale). Selling my house. Adding more quality and more quilting time to my life! Again, you are a source of inspiration!

Looking forward to following your adventures on the blog this year…and am so happy for you that you sound really happy. Happy is so important…/

Andrea! Congratulations! How exciting for you… though I suspect that the reason why you’re able to make the move is a bit bittersweet. I’m so sorry if that’s the case. Yes, “happy” is important. I sometimes wonder if some of us are just built a certain way or if we’ve learned it somewhere, but so many times, being happy is a fairly easy and simple thing. Embracing the challenges and the frustrations as being part of the whole kit-and-caboodle – making the choice to be the person you want to be.

Much happiness to you this year – and much success! Good health, good fortune!

• Thanks, Carrie. The reason is bittersweet, my mom passed away on September 14th. But she was very excited about my plans – I had the chance to take her to the store – and she always had an eerily accurate sense of what would be successful and what would not – and she gave her blessing on the Painted Whale…

It was very kind and very thoughtful of you to remember…

15. Mary says:

Happy New Year Carrie.i have thoroughly enjoyed your first Moda year. It has been an adventure for you and fun to watch. Thanks for so many awesome travels with you and such good information that comes out of it.

Mary

16. Pam D says:

Love your column. You are very funny!

17. Chris Johnson says:

December 31 I retired. That is the finish I am most Dighton about. Now to get my quilt space better organized and keep having fun!.

18. Ruth says:

I’d love to make the small houses quilt pictured. Where can I find the pattern?

Hi Ruth – That’s a pattern titled Village – a Miss Rosie’s Quilt Co. Jumble pattern. It’s relatively new and if your favorite quilt shop doesn’t carry it, Village is available from several online quilt shops. 🙂

19. Karen says:

I have really enjoyed your posts in your new job this past year. It has been quite fun to read about your new experiences. Hope your enjoyment continues!

20. Debbie Metzner says:

Always love reading your blog, um, Moda’s blog.
    In the last group of pictures, the bag in the bottom row, is there a pattern for that? I love it! So cute!
    Happy New Year!

21. Jeanne says:

I think your word of the year should be WIP… tee-hee. I am impressed with all that you have accomplished. I made a goal in 2015 to finish 6 WIPs and did 7 and thought I was doing good. You are amazing!!

I am so glad that you are blogging for Moda. I would have missed your voice when you moved if you weren’t. You are a bright spot in my day. 🙂

Happy New Year!

22. Lola says:

Hi Carrie,
    Could you please tell me the fabric line of quilt pattern 411. It is the one you showed with curves, using a special ruler. Several ladies in my quilt group would like to make it. Many thanks, Lola

Hi Lola –

I wish I did know – it’s a great quilt! But the picture I showed on the blog is of the front of Jenny Pedigo’s pattern and that’s her quilt. I wish I could tell you it was all Moda fabric but I don’t know what fabrics or collection she used. But Jenny knows so I would suggest contacting her through her website – http://sewkindofwonderful.com/pages/contact-us.

Good luck – and have fun! 🙂

Hi Lola –

I wish I did know – it’s a great quilt! But the picture I showed on the blog is of the front of Jenny Pedigo’s pattern and that’s her quilt. I wish I could tell you it was all Moda fabric but I don’t know what fabrics or collection she used. But Jenny knows so I would suggest contacting her through her website – sewkindofwonderful.com

Good luck – and have fun! 🙂

Good luck – and have fun! 🙂

Hi Lola –

I wish I knew what fabrics Jenny used for that quilt because they’re terrific. Unfortunately, the image is from the front of her pattern so I’m not sure what collection or fabrics were used to make Country Chic. But Jenny would know! Her website is – sewkindofwonderful.com.

Hi Lola –

I wish I knew what fabrics Jenny used for that quilt because they’re terrific. Unfortunately, the image is from the front of her pattern so I’m not sure what collection or fabrics were used to make Country Chic. But Jenny would know! Her company is Sew Kind of Wonderful.

23. Susan Hillier says:

Carrie, I look forward to your blogs! Your humor is wonderful and your sharing of projects and what’s new is refreshing!
    I just love the little zippered bags and just HAVE to make them for everyone I know ()
    Can you please tell me how to get my hands on the pattern…well patterns, I love them all

24. kathyinmn says:

Happy New Year! Love the blog you are doing for Moda, love the behind the scenes looks and the glimpse of your reality. I am in love with that Chic country pattern too, gasped when I first saw it actually. I’ve been avoiding that ruler like the plague (and I have not done curves, except applique), but I do so love this quilt! And I’ve loved all the projects you’ve shown this year, the bags and pincushions have been a real inspiration for me. I made the jean bags for Christmas following your instructions and they turned out great.