Featured Quilt Shop: Boersma’s Sewing Center

EMPY PHOTO-2

Jack and Michelle Boersma (Jack is in the back row, center, and Michelle is just in front of him) and their staff members.

Borsma’s Sewing Center in McMinnville, Oregon has been a family business for 80 years. Yup, you heard that right—80 years! It first opened on April 1, 1935 and for 40 years it was owned and operated by Dirk and Harriet Boersma. On April 1, 1975, at the ripe old age of 18, Jack Boersma bought the shop from his parents. “That means that April 1, 2015 was a pretty special day,” says Jack. “They’d owned the shop for 40 years and now I’ve owned the shop for 40 years.”

web main header

While 18 might seem young for shop ownership, Jack had already been part of the business for half a decade. “I was doing all the sewing machine repairs by the time I was 12 and in return my mom did all my homework,” he says (it wasn’t clear whether he was kidding about the homework). “They used to hide me in the back room so customers wouldn’t see a kid working on their Viking or Pfaff.”

IMG_1074

While Dirk and Harriett mostly carried machines, it was Jack who added fabric. A year after he took over he put in fashion and home décor fabrics, along with a complete line of wedding textiles. As quilting became more popular, the fashion and wedding lines were phased out. Today, along with Janome sewing machines and Innova longarms (and vacuum cleaners), Boersma’s has notions and 10,000 bolts of fabric.

WEB FAB PICTURE

The shop is located in a building that dates from 1922 and formerly housed a Montgomery Ward store. Jack takes pride in using all 20,000 square feet of space on all four floors of the building. In addition to space for all that Boersma’s has to offer, the top floor has a 2,100-square-foot, three-bedroom apartment, where Jack and his wife Michelle lived for eight years. Today it houses out-of-state teachers who come to educate Boersma’s customers.

IMG_1458

The atmosphere of the old building is enhanced by Jack’s collection of vintage and antique sewing machines. “You can’t beat the ambience they create,” says Jack, noting that they have a selection of Moda fabrics draped around an old Wilcox and Gibbs machine. The dozens of machines in the shop include an Elias Howe machine, just like one that’s in the collection of the Smithsonian, and an 1895 Ideal toy machine he wanted to buy from a former English teacher more than 30 years ago. She wouldn’t sell it to Jack, but when she passed away it was in her will that he could put it on display in the shop—but first he had to buy it. He did.

960x275 Picture 2

The shop’s eye candy extends to its fabric. Thanks to Boersma’s longtime association with Moda, Michelle calls Diane Toysen “the shop’s Moda rep, and also my friend.” Michelle notes that Boersma’s carries an eclectic mix of fabric styles and that precuts are popular with the many tourists who stop by while traveling through McMinnville. “Moda came in on the ground floor with precuts, and I think they do ‘em best,” she says. Michelle and her daughter also make the myriad samples that line the shop’s walls and hang from the ceiling. (Jack designed and fabricated a specially built system so that quilts can be easily hung up and taken down by just two people, without a ladder.)

IMG_1073

Though he’s owned Boersma’s for four decades, Jack’s enthusiasm hasn’t waned. The shop was named a Quilt Sampler magazine Top Ten Quilt Shop in 2014 and the story of how they learned of their nomination provides insight into the way the shop runs. The magazine’s editor called in February to let Jack know they’d like to come at the end of April to shoot photos. “I told them I needed to think about it,” says Jack. That’s because Jack felt the shop needed a major facelift. “I had to decide whether I wanted to keep going or retire, because I don’t like to do anything halfway and the remodel would have to be great,” he says. The decision to go ahead meant that they replaced all the shop’s 32-year-old carpeting, designed and hung the aforementioned system that suspends quilts from the ceiling, and painted the whole place. “We were done by April 29, the day they came to take the pictures,” says Jack. That wholehearted approach is apparent throughout the shop. “I enjoy the stuff we build, our customers are cool, the store is completely done, and my sister has been with us for 13 years and we get along incredibly well,” he says. “It’s fun. I could have retired a long time ago, but I reall enjoy what I’m doing.”

960x275 Picture 3

17 comments on “Featured Quilt Shop: Boersma’s Sewing Center

1. Caryn S says:

That’s a great store. I would love to visit it.

• Shirley Herrera says:

Please keep you on your email mailings and one of these days, I might surprise you and visit from CA. Shirley Herrera

2. After reading this post, I immediately informed my husband that we have got to visit this fabric shop the next time we go to Portland. After answering his why question with some of the information you supplied, he agreed! We live in Southern Oregon, a friend and I went on a quilt run a few years ago and I have no idea how we missed this place. Thank you for sharing this information, it was a great post! Have a wonderful creative day!

3. loosecannon2 says:

I so loved reading about this quilt shop & its owners. I wonder how many other shops are this unique? Again, this was a great read!

4. Sally says:

The link to the store does NOT go to the store website!

5. Lorraine Dumaine says:

Kudos to Jack for all that he has done to keep this quilting treasure ongoing. Well done article, I really enjoyed it.

6. Sharlene says:

3 from Alaska and 5 from Minnesota were in a group shop hopping across the state at the beginning of the month We were greeted very graciously. and everyone was so kind. We SO enjoyed the visit. Thank You for a great shop.

7. JanetD says:

With a trip to the Oregon coast in 3 weeks the timing of this article is perfect. To McMinville we will go! (No need to ask anyone else – I’m driving, tee hee).

8. gaylemitchel says:

OMG! We were in McMinnville in May and I totally missed this store?? Or did hubs intentionally not drive past it…..hmmmmm. We are full-time RVers and I quilt. His request to reduce the stash is a standing order. We are headed to Montana in August. Any wonderful shops I should NOT miss??

9. Renee says:

I live about an hour from this store, and visit a ccouple of times a year. Took a long arm class there last year, and would like to take one again! Need more than an hour to take it all in!

10. Sharyn says:

Love Boersma’s. Wonderful Janome dealer also

11. That looks like a wonderful shop! And such Dutch names! If I am ever in the neighbourhood (that might take a while since I live in The Netherlands) I will definitely visit and will no doubt spend some happy hours there…

12. StaceyHH says:

I got my first real pair of sewing scissors here, over 35 years ago, I was 8. (I still have them!) I don’t live in Mac anymore, but now I’ll remember to stop by next time I pass through. Happy 40/80 years Jack and Michelle!

13. J. Winters says:

My friends and I hit this shop at least twice a year, and everyone in the store is always gracious and helpful. The local quilt guilds attend multiple quilt retreats nearby, makes it so easy to hit the shop on a quilt run. The prices are very reasonable, and they have a huge sale area downstairs as well.

14. Nancy Boersema says:

My name is Nancy Boersema, spelled the same way as your name. I am also a quilter with Trinity Lutheran Church, Dover, NJ. Through the ELCA, we recently delivered 125 quilts, representative of our 125 anniversary, to ELCA world relief, and we have received acknowledgment that some of our quilts were sent to the disaster in Nepal.
    My relatives all seem to be on the East coast, so I do not think there is a connection.
    Thanks for all you do, Love, Nancy

15. Pat in WNY says:

We used to live in the area and Boersmas was always my go-to quilt shop. Purchased my Janome there a few years back, as well as a ton of fabric! We’re heading back for a visit later this fall and I was just making my list of items to pick up from the shop when I stumbled on this article (linked from their website). Can’t wait to spend an hour or two in the shop again.