First impressions…

Are you ready?

FrontDoor

It’s okay to be a little nervous.

I know I am.  Still am.

If you’re thinking “Huh… who?”,.. I’m Carrie and I used to “be” Miss Rosie’s Quilt Co. Then I got this crazy idea about sending an e-mail applying for a job. Now I work for Moda Fabrics. (I know – how cool is that?!)

My Day 1 is done and by the time you read this, it’s Day 3.  It’s been amazing, wonderful, exhausting, a little bit scary and just a tad intimidating. That’s mostly because I want to know everything there is to know and I want to know it now. (Patience. Knowing how to spell it isn’t the same thing as knowing how to actually exercise it.)

Mostly, I’m excited.

Office

It’s a new dawn,
It’s a new day,
It’s a new life
For me…

And yes, I’m feeling good.

This is where I’m parked for now but there are some changes coming.  I’ll show you that when it happens.

I drove to Dallas the week before Christmas, got somewhat settled and enjoyed a very nice holiday with my brother. Then I continued unpacking – for at least a week. Even if you love the place you’re moving to, and you’re happy and excited about the adventure of it all, has anybody ever truly embraced the actual “moving” part of it?

I didn’t think so.

I’ve had a lot of fun finding my way around town and trying new things. While it’s grown a lot in the twenty years since I lived here the last time, some things haven’t changed at all. Folks in Texas are still very nice.

There will be more to come soon but I know that two of the burning questions are:

What is my job title? I don’t really have one and that works for me. From the very start, I have been told that I am going to be a “Wearer of Many Hats”. While that sometimes seems a bit daunting, I know two things to be true. One – everybody here does that. Two – when I was doing my own company, I wore all the hats. So this is already a welcome change as I won’t have to wear the hats that don’t fit me well!

What will I actually be doing at Moda? This. Really! Writing this blog is a big part of what I’ll be doing, telling the Moda “story”. What’s happening, what’s coming, what you might not know about some of the uber-talented people who design fabric here… everything you didn’t know you always wanted to know!

There will also be some of “that”. I’m already working on a “special project”… something really cool conjured up by a couple of Directors while traveling. Trust me when I say you’re going to want one. Them. (More on that soon.)

So you’re up to date. There really is a lot more coming – and soon.

(Did you really think I wouldn’t show you a picture of what it looks like around here?  These are bolts waiting to ship for the Austin Bluebird BOM by Laurie Simpson – Minick & Simpson.)

FabricHeaven

I do have to tell you about one more thing… it’s too funny not to share. When I got the call from Mr. Dunn in September offering me this job with Moda, I didn’t want to delete it from the call-list on my phone. It sounds a little silly but it was a nice little reminder – and okay, it was kind of cool to see his name on my phone. But that might not have been my best-idea ever. Oops. I thought I might have… I hoped I hadn’t… but apparently I had. I accidentally dialed Mr. Dunn once or twice over the holidays.

And y’all kept telling me to “be myself”.

Y’all. Because I’m in Texas now.

74 comments on “First impressions…

1. mumbird3 says:

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you are going to have lots of fun!

Shhh… my bosses might be reading this. It’s supposed to sound like I’m working really hard. 😉

2. Christina says:

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the photos…I have been curious to the interiors of Moda Fabrics 😀 I look forward to reading your posts!

3. Joan says:

Sounds like an exciting and fun challenge…plus you get paid! LOL! Enjoy the adventure. I imagine working at Moda would be a dream come true for any quilter.

4. Patricia Cash says:

Congratulations! How fun!

Thank you – so far, so good. There is a mountain of information to learn but it’s pretty clear that the best thing about being here is the people I’m getting to work with. 🙂

5. Anita L says:

Sounds like an awesome opportunity! Here’s a topic idea for you. I was just saying to my husband the other day that I would like the see “The life of a piece of fabric”. From the beginning design concept, to the fabric being made from cotton, to the printing, to getting to the warehouse, to going to the quilt store, to someone buying it, to what it gets made into. I think it should be a documentary really but it could start as blog posts. 🙂 I hope there will be some videos we can see of the fabric making process either on the blog or on the Moda website. I know there was a video I saw a few years ago that was about 10 minutes long on the Moda website and I thought it was fascinating.

Great minds! This is one of the topics on my list – but more from a designer perspective of how it all gets started, the process from the original concept, color palette and artwork to finished fabric.

You and Moda are well on your way of continuing to bring quilters the very best there is in the world of quilting. I’m sure I am not alone with my thank you’s.

7. Jean Elliott says:

Carrie Carrie Carrie….I’m so happy and excited for you!!! I’ll be looking forward to your blog and the exciting surprises! Loved the pic of all the bolts of fabric…a tour of the Moda “complex” would be very interesting! Glad you are back “home” and love y’all!!!

I’m so looking forward to more pictures from fabric heaven (aka Moda)! And I’m sure Mr Dunn don’t mind it at all if you calling him … perhaps he’ll save your message, too;-)

Fortunately he thought it was funny – even funnier when I explained the likely reason it happened. 🙂

9. So glad to see you wearing the writing hat. Hope you’ll keep designing quilts too.

You know Lissa… I’m going to need a big hat rack. I’m happy that there is a design-hat included too. 🙂

10. Sheila Hornyak says:

You go girl!! I’ve loved stalking your blog “Le Vie en Rosie” and am so excited to see you here at Moda. Good luck with your new job, home, lifestyle, and of course the new year. Wish you all the best simply because you are the best. 🙂

Awww… thank you for following me to Texas! I appreciate the good wishes – back at you.

11. Congratulations! I’m looking forward to hearing from you! And learning more!

12. Cindy Dunlap says:

Can’t think of a better place to work! How exciting, new changes starting in the new year. Have fun and let your sun shine through!

13. Denise says:

Howdy Carrie from Arizona! I loved your first blog post, and look forward to following your adventure.

14. Lou says:

Welcome back to this great state!!!!

15. Happy Days! You get to see shelves of fabric (like we do at home) but in a GIANT scale. Mr Buble rocks 🙂

16. Marlene says:

Congratulations! I am looking forward to your blog posts!!

17. lindaking4070 says:

Congratulations!!! You will see all the new fabric first, we are all jealous ! But, I will be anxiously waiting to hear more great things from you !!

18. What an awesome adventure. That would be sew much fun. I envy you very much.

19. Mama Spark says:

Congratulations!!! They are lucky to have you!! Don’t forget to check your shoes for critters now that you live in Texas!!!!!!

20. Claire guillory says:

Moda is my favorite fabric. Lucky you!!!!! You will do a great job. Have fun

21. Jocelyn says:

This is going to be so much fun! I love that you will be blogging for Moda. Congratulations and good luck!

22. Norma Shaarda says:

Congrat’s – very exciting!!! Just missing a quilt hanging on your wall. Best to you

23. Susan says:

This is going to be so much fun for you and us too! I LOVE that you will be blogging for Moda! And I can’t wait to see what your special project is!!!!

24. Karen Goad says:

congratulations! I always loved your company and I’m sure you will be a perfect fit for Moda

25. barbara woods says:

congrats, happy for you

26. Congratulations! You will do well. As the younger generation would say, “you’ve got this one.”

27. Bobette says:

I am so excited for you Carrie. Best wishes to you. I am happy you are going to continue with your blog.

28. JoAnne says:

First of all, I was an Army wife until last summer when my husband retired. We moved 15 times in 24 years. No matter the exciting destinations: Alaska, Hawaii, El Paso (just kidding about El Paso being “exciting,” but we did move there;) the moving part is always horrible. I would forget how traumatic it can be in the excitement, and then it would hit me like a ton of bricks. I’m so glad that I’ve (hopefully) moved for the last time. Ever. (I hope. Did I say that already?) Anyway, the second comment I wanted to make was that when my husband got his new, post-Army job here working for Michelin tires, he found out that when anyone in management gets a job there, they must go around the plant to learn how to virtually “make” a tire. So he went to mixing, molding, etc. and then he actually had to write and present a report on how to make the assigned tire, to a panel of all the experts in the plant. (I think its actually a great idea as it helps each employee get an overview of what goes on.) I bring this up because my imagination took off at the idea of starting a job at Moda and learning how to make fabric, patterns, quilts, etc. I know you already know the process, but it would be a fun way to spend your first 2 weeks!

29. Kim says:

Move is my most despised four letter word. But, having lived in Texas a couple times, I can tell you that I loved it there!

30. Cecilia says:

Congratulations! Your new job sounds very exciting. My youngest daughter and family moved to Fort Worth last year and I would love to be able to visit the Moda warehouse in Dallas on my next visit.

31. Well how exciting is this news!!! So happy for you and that you get to be a part of such a wonderful team.

32. So excited for your new adventure! It’s great to be near family and be working at a dream job with a dream company! Wish i could share your office and watch you shine! Looking forward to the good things we will be seeing from you and the best fabric company in the world. I am a Moda Maniac and have been for years! You have inspired me so many times with your patterns and your blog and kept my quilting life fresh! New beginnings are so difficult, especially after the year you have had, but I can’t help thinking sweet Miss Rosie and your mom are so very, very proud!

33. Hi Carrie! Nice office! Gkad you’re moved and settled. Sent you a soup recipe at your La Vie En Rosie blog a week or so ago. Looking forward to seeing what’s coming!

34. Nadja Pollard says:

Welcome to Texas! I hope you like big hair, rare steaks, and genuinely hospitable folks.

35. kshackabq says:

Congratulations, Carrie. Nice to be reading you again!

36. Karen Miller says:

So exciting for you — and for us too! Just love Moda Fabric and the wonderful people who work there — hey look — Now there’s one more wonderful person with them. Congratulations! xo Karen @ Redbird Quilt Co.

37. Mary ann says:

Congratulations! It is so fun to just hear all the excitement an enthusiasm in your voice Carrie. And I am in awe of how well you have managed all this change…a long tough year and here you are, shoulders back, big smile and off you go to new challenges! And the best part, you’re taking us all with you!

38. Kristi says:

Welcome back! I’ve missed your blog so I’m glad you will be writing again (and designing, too, I hope)!

39. Kathy Anderson says:

Best of luck to you at Moda! I have all your books and have made many of your quilts, therefore I love your style….can’t wait to see how your creativity will thrive in such a community. I look forward to your blog. Kathy Anderson, Loveland Colorado

40. Terri E says:

Congratulations Carrie! I’m so happy for you and can’t wait to hear everything you have to share!

41. Kim Hamilton says:

I can’t wait to see more! Great job on your first few days!

42. Roseanna Jakubowski says:

Congratulations Carrie! I am a long time follower of your blog and huge fan of your work. I am so excited for you and looking forward to all you do this coming year. Moda is very lucky to have you.

43. kathyinmn says:

Cannot wait to read more of your settling in and behind the scenes posts. This was an awesome read!

44. Annmarie says:

GOOD FOR YOU!!! Congratulations. Looking forward to read about all your adventures.

45. I am so happy for you and I am happy for all of us (your fans)! You followed the prompting to write an email and look at the opportunity ahead for you. Your positive impact has just been multiplied. I look forward to Moda Cutting Table for special reasons now.

46. Deb Cizek says:

You go girl! Moda has always been our favorite! You’ll do great! How’d you like those earthquakes?? Yikes!

47. Barbara McDonald says:

How awesome for you to be working at MODA – the name that makes other fabric companies shiver when they hear it!! I have a very important question: how are you able to work in such close proximity to that fabulous fabric and not try to sneak a bolt out every other night when you leave?!? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

48. Terry says:

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer person! Congratulations on your next life adventure. Have always loved reading your blog! Now we get to see Moda from your perspective!

49. Stacy says:

What an exciting job! Can’t wait to hear more from you!

50. Sinta says:

You will be an amazing asset to Moda in a super hero kind of way! Congratulations!

51. Congratulations !! How exciting! Wishing you every success in your new job and looking forward to reading your posts.

52. Polly Monica says:

Carrie, how nice to hear from you in your new role as a Moda Mad-Hatter!! I sooooo look forward to your blog posts and, hopefully, some new quilt designs, too!! (We Schnibble gals are hooked on your patterns, so don’t forget us!!) I can tell you are excited about this new chapter in your life, but you truly deserve the best- and Moda recognizing good things when they find them, has hired the best- YOU!!

53. Welcome to my computer space, and thanks for showing me your lovely working area.
    A request please????? If you ever see the ladies of “Me and My Sister” please tell them I just love their fabric designs and colors; their work is like none other in the market – makes me drool.
    Really hope your work is exciting.

54. Darlene says:

I’m glad you’re working “hard” LOL I’m especially glad that you are apparently very content and happy!

55. Susan Robers says:

How cool! Congrats to you and looking forward to hearing all about this new adventure for you! It sounds like it will be amazing. I like how you write too – very informal (you must have a gift for that). Keep us posted soon!

56. Susie says:

Congratulations on your next adventure. New job, new city – very exciting. I really like your quilt patterns so I hope you have a chance to design a bit too.

57. Lizzie says:

Yay Carrie! I loved your blog with Miss Rosie’s Quilts and now I can still read your ramblings on the Moda blog….perfect. The pictures are so fun!

58. Kylie says:

I have a voicemail saved from a VIP and will never delete it. Unless I do so accidentally. Congrats on your new job 🙂

59. Michele says:

Oh this is just wonderful and I too love seeing the “behind the scenes” photos. I’ve always wondered about the many aspects of Moda, such as being a Bake Shop Chef, and now I am one myself. Maybe one day I’ll be able to wear another “hat” in my quilting journey.

60. Marianne says:

I agree! Moving is zero fun. Loved the story about Mr. Dunn. I do things like that, too. Have fun settling in!

61. Jeanne says:

HURRAY!! I loved you at “La Vie en Rosie” and I’m glad you’re here.

62. PatSloan says:

Tell ‘Mr. Dunn’ Hello from Virginia and I’m so glad you are there!

63. Linda H says:

Happy, Happy, Happy … can’t help but think of that song “Happy” by Pharrell … for you!! Having retired a couple of years ago after living 16+ in a house loaded to the gills with fabric we moved to our retirement “dream” home. While it was VERY exciting it was overwhelming to have to unpack everything. But, like eating an elephant (one bite at a time) you can do it!! I will definitely be checking the Moda blog site more frequently … now that you’re wearing THAT hat!! Happy for you and I’m certain Ms. Rosie is having major tail wags at Rainbow Bridge for you 😉 Linda

64. I’ve just found you here (thanks to a tweet from Moda Lissa!) and I’m thrilled to be able to read more about your job and can’t wait to read the other two posts from you which are sitting in my feed reader!

65. jeandmaynard says:

Oh happy day as my 2 year old says. What a great adventure. A job should be fun 1st and work second. I am a retired teacher wanting to open a business dealing in fabric and sewing machines. If you have any advice I am open.