What’s Your Favorite Pre-Cut?

Do you have a favorite pre-cut? Maybe your favorite is the fat-quarter bundle…a quarter yard of every print in a collection is a quilter’s delight…

And those fat quarter bundles are so versatile–you can make a good sized quilt or two and still have left-overs for your stash! If something just a bit smaller is what you’re looking for…the fat-eighth bundle might be just what you need.

Or maybe your favorite pre-cut is the Moda Candy. They are not only cute, but they also can make up into lots of wonderful projects. Pick up a pack or two and you are on your way to a lot of quilting goodness!

Charm packs are always good to have on hand, too. Use a pattern made specifically for charms…or make a mini-quilt using charm squares!

Maybe the Layer Cake is your favorite pre-cut? Those larger squares make quilts go together quickly, and extra layer cake squares can make lots of scrappy sampler blocks.

All of the blocks pictured above, and many of the blocks in the quilt below were pieced from Layer Cake squares! Layer cakes can easily be cut into 1 1/2″ or 2 1/2″ strips or squares. Or cut a couple of charm squares and a variety of pieces from the other half.

Then there is the ever-useful Jelly Roll…width of fabric pre-cut strip goodness! There are so many patterns to choose from…did you know the “Starlight” quilt by Thimbleblossoms below is a jelly roll quilt…it just takes a jelly roll, background, and an accent fabric!

Or how about the Slice…pre-cut 10″ triangles perfect for lots of fun projects or for a whole quilt!

So…which pre-cut (or two or three or more) is your favorite? Betcha can’t pick just one!

This entry was posted in Fabrics.

56 comments on “What’s Your Favorite Pre-Cut?

1. charlotte says:

First choice is a fat quarter bundle. It goes so far. Second choice is a layer cake, because you get to see so much of the fabric’s pattern in 10 inches. I love jelly rolls and charm packs too, but equally and the Moda candy is a nice little bunch of swatches to see which ones you want yardage of…and then stitch them up into something cute.

2. Nicki says:

My first choice is the fat quarter bundle but I also love jelly rolls and charm packs and I can’t forget I love the Moda candy for my hexi quilts.

3. Jacqueline says:

I love the variety of fabric you get in the precursor!

4. KaHolly says:

I prefer fat quarters. To be honest, I’ve never had good luck with the other precuts being true to size. I’d rather cut my own!

5. I love fat quarters and mini square (2.5)

6. Monica says:

Fat quarter bundles are always my first choice followed closely by fat eighth bundles.

7. Melanie says:

Oh, I love them ALL! But I have to say jelly rolls and layer cakes are what I buy most.

8. Rosa says:

My first choice is fat quarter and then jelly roll,charm pack.I`ve never played with the mini charm.

9. Shelley says:

You are right, I can’t pick just one lol. I love my Candy packs, my jelly rolls and my layer cakes:) sounds like a recipie for something yummy lol

10. CathyK says:

I really do use them all! If I HAD to pick one, I would say it was the fat quarter bundle!

11. Flo says:

My first choice is fat quarter bundle, layer cakes and jelly rolls. They are so easy to use and I hate cutting fabric.

12. Heartsdesire says:

Jelly rolls for me. They are so versatile, and easy to use. I’ve made quite a few quilts with them. I also like the fat eighth bundles as my quilts tend to be scrappy, and they allow me to use a lot of different fabrics.

13. Nancy says:

I like the fat quarter bundles the most with charm packs as my second choice.

14. I love the fat quarter bundles, but I also love really scrappy quilts so fat eights are also a favorite. My new best friend? Dessert rolls!

15. Linda says:

Fat quarters are the smallest I will buy.

16. I do love fat quarters, but I also like charm packs. They are an easy way to make a quick quilt or tote.

17. SewSealy says:

I just downloaded the chart after reading this: ” Did you know you can download a handy measurement chart here. This handy chart gives information on how many charm packs or layer cakes you’ll need for a variety of different sized quilts.” Am I missing something? I can’t see where it tells us how many “packs” we will need for the quilts. I’ve looked at it a few times and can’t seem to understand how the data is related to a pre-cut. – It’s only: size of blocks, number of blocks needed for that size of block to give you the resulting overall quilt size. Where’s the number of charms, layers, strips? By the way, I just LOVE the April Showers prints. Can’t wait to get some of them! I just haven’t found the precuts in a local shop… perhaps I’ll have to wait for yardage…

18. Booklogged says:

I love fat quarters because I usually have left overs for making scrap quilts. Also love charms and jelly rolls. Haven’t tried any of the others. Yet.

19. Anne says:

You bet right! I can’t pick just one! Layer cakes are my go to pre-cut but every now and then I indulge in some fat quarters

20. I love jelly rolls the best, you guys were the one that helped me start quilting. I saw the Giggles jelly roll and I was in love! Thanks

21. Farm Quilter says:

Fat quarters and jelly rolls are my favorites.

22. maggie says:

I think the FQ bundle is great because of all of the options and often having scraps leftover is fun. But a close 2nd choice are the Layer cakes.
    cheers
    maggie

maggiemine42@gmail.com

23. Rilene says:

First choice: jelly rolls! (There are so many patterns for them now.) Second: fat quarters.

24. SarahZ says:

Charm packs are the most budget friendly for me…I can justify much more variety with them. But what I love most about any precut is getting to have a little of EVERY print in a collection…so fun!

25. Sharon says:

I mostly buy fat eighth bundles, they are affordable and have a good amount of fabric. I do love the dessert rolls, though, would you consider making those in more collections?

26. cathy says:

I seem to buy layer cakes. I love to see that much of a pattern. Fat eighths are my next favorite when I want more but alsowant to stretch my budget.

27. Lee says:

I love fat quarters – the old standby!

28. I would love to have larger fabric bundles but my pocketbook limits me to charm packs. That way I get all of the fabrics in a collection in an easily usable size.

29. Vicki H says:

I like charms and jelly rolls best.

30. Layer Cake for sure. I can’t get enough cake.

31. Helen L says:

I love the fat eighth bundles: usually enough to finish a quilt by adding background fabric, and it doesn’t break the bank!! 🙂

32. Jan says:

I love fat quarters and layer cakes most.

33. Karen M says:

My favorite pre-cut is the fat quarter bundle.

34. ledamewood says:

I love fat quarter bundles the most, but to have something ready to get to work and sew, jelly rolls and charm squares.

35. Lee Ann L. says:

I like fat quarters; but, to be honest, I prefer half yardages (which is even a pre-cut… yet.)

36. Regina says:

My problem is that I never met a pre-cut I didn’t LOVE!!!!! I tend to have more Charm packs and Layer Cakes lately so the squares have it.

One thing I have found missing in all the measurement sheets I found at United Notions and at the Bake shop is total yardage in a pre-cut. I have a pattern I am about to start that has me cut my yardage into 2 1/2″ strips. Of course I decided to use a Jelly Roll but I then needed to calculate how much yardage is in a Jelly Roll to see how many Jelly Rolls I would need for the project – whew! I’m get tired thinking about it.

37. Lynne Tilley says:

I love charm packs. A Moda charm pack is the first thing I bought to make my very first quilt. I found it at a little shop in Fredericksburg, TX, and didn’t know what exactly it was, but I bought that, made a quilt by reading the internet and buying a book, and the rest is history. I’m on quilt #9 now and I have learned so much in the past 2-3 years. Not just with quilts, but zipper pouches, pillows, handbags, wallets, and all kinds of other pretty little things. I just sew sew sew. Thanks Moda!!

38. QuiltLady says:

I love all the precuts, but probably buy more Jelly Rolls and Charm packs along with some yardage to finish a quilt. Love, Love, Love those precuts, you can do so much with them.

39. Sharon L. says:

My first choice for precuts are fat quarters, layer cake, then jelly rolls and charm packs. I love them all.

40. My favorite is layer cakes, there are so many uses for them.

41. EllenB says:

Layer cakes are so versatile for cutting up or using as applique backgrounds, but my first choice would be fat quarters.

42. FranB says:

charms – I just discovered these and I just love them!

43. Sharon h says:

My fav precut are jelly rolls. I am using them all the time. Love moda fabrics too!

44. Robin Woods says:

I love layer cakes because I can choose to make them charm squares or candy!

45. lvkwilt says:

I actually love them all but lately the jelly roll seems to be particularly handy! Thanks for the giveaway!!

46. Liza S. says:

My favorites are jelly rolls and fat quarters. They are always lots of fun!

47. Robin T says:

The fat quarter bundle is my favorite! I can be so creative with the fat quarters. There are so many options for cutting them.

48. Deb says:

Fat quarter bundle is definitely a favorite….love all the possibilities.

49. kelly casey says:

My favorite pre-cut for longest time was charm pack, but I am starting to like the layer cakes more, and jelly rolls. I can’t decide they all have un limited possibilities. Thank you for this great opportunity.

50. Libmousa says:

I love layered cakes. Pieces are big enough for larger projects or you can slice them to creat 4 charm packs.

51. Jeanne says:

I love the layered cakes and charm packs the best!

52. Kris says:

I like them all! You can do so much with any of them and you can see which print you like the best to order some more of it.

53. deelish10 says:

can i pick all??? i am such a fan of fabrics, and enjoy your sites! very talented people have put together so many ideas it becomes overwhelming at times but fun none the less and fabrics includes all sizes and shapes!!!

54. Karen says:

first choice is fat quarters – second choice are the jelly rolls – third (do I get a 3rd choice?) mini charms