I’m Julie of Jaybird Quilts the designer behind the Hex N More and Sidekick Rulers. Today I’m here to tell you a bit more about my rulers. I released the Hex N More last year and just released the Sidekick one month ago.
The two rulers allow you to rotary cut a variety of shapes from strips for fast & fun quiltmaking. They can work independently or as a pair.
The Hex N More cuts 4 shapes in 4 sizes. Hexagons, Triangles, Half Hexagons and Jewels.
The Sidekick cuts 3 shapes in 4 sizes. Triangles, Half Triangles and Diamonds.
Both rulers come with full color instructions just like my patterns.
Currently I have designed 10 patterns using the Hex N More.
Currently I have designed 3 patterns with the brand new Sidekick Ruler.
I also have a few new patterns in the works that will be released at fall quilt market using the Hex N More and Sidekick Rulers!!
Last year I showed how to cut a Hexagon with the Hex N More. Today I’m going to show you how you can cut Triangles, Half Triangles and Diamonds all from one strip of fabric with the Sidekick Ruler.
1. I started with a 3 1/2″ x WOF strip. Align the Sidekick Ruler as shown and trim fabric on the right to create an angled cut.
2. Rotate fabric strip 180° and align ruler as shown. Cut on right side to get a diamond.
3. Continue working your way down the strip cutting diamonds with no waste.
4. Next up is the Triangle. Flip the ruler towards you and align as shown. Cut to create a triangle.
5. Flip the ruler back up to cut the next triangle. Repeat to cut as many triangles as you need.
6. Last is the Half Triangle. Align the ruler as shown and cut to create a Half Triangle.
7. Rotate the ruler back 180° to continue cutting half triangles.
8. The result is all 3 shapes from one strip. The Sidekick can cut shapes with 1″, 2″, 3″ & 4″ finished heights.
9. To cut left & right half triangles at the same time you will want to start with two layers of fabric wrong sides together.
10. Square off the edge and remove the selvages.
11. Rotate the fabric strip 180° and align the ruler as shown.
12. Cut along the right side to create and left and right half triangle.
13. The result is that each cut creates mirror image half triangles.
I’m excited to share my new patterns with you soon at Fall International Quilt Market!
We will be giving away a Hex N More Ruler and a Sidekick Ruler to one lucky winner! To enter please leave a comment—tell us which of the Hex N More or Sidekick patterns above is your favorite and why.
You will have until September 30 at midnight to comment. All winners will be randomly selected and announced on Moda…The Cutting Table Blog on October 2. Make sure to visit the blog every day for the opportunity to win each giveaway!