A "Charm"ing Baby Shower

new diy onesie party
This past weekend I had the pleasure of throwing my best friend a shower for her first baby girl!
I wanted to make it really special so I decided to have everyone make a onesie for baby Liv.
I was a little nervous as to how it would turn out since most of the guests were non-quilters/crafters but it turned out to be absolutely wonderful!
This would be a great event to host in your quilt shop or home.
The whole set-up was very quick & easy!
set up
I briefly explained how to do it and the girls were off!
workin
The onesies turned out better than I could have ever expected and we all had so much fun!
Group Onesies
Onesies on a Line
Moda DIY design party Appliques
  1. OUTFITS & ACCESSORIES – get an assortment of onesies, shirts, jackets, bloomers, bibs, swaddle cloths, burp cloths and any other accessories you can think of to decorate.
    Make sure to get a variety of colors/patterns/sizes. This makes it more FUN! 🙂
  2. FABRIC…Moda Charm Packs or Moda Layer Cakes– a variety makes it more fun and personalized.  Because onesies are so small, Moda Charm Packs are the PERFECT pre-cut for this project! You can also throw in some scraps.
  3. HeatNBond FUSIBLE PAPER (I prefer the UltraBond – especially if you will not be stitching down the edges.)
  4. FABRIC SCISSORSKaren Kay Buckley “Perfect Scissors” work great because of the serrated edge. I used both the large and small size. The large for bigger pieces and the small for intricate letters or shapes. If you are hosting a large party have several pairs of scissors or it will slow the process down ALOT. I also brought my Elan set- also a large pair and small pair. It is important to use fabric scissors or the fabric will fray on the edges leaving it looking cheap and used.
  5. IRONING BOARD Steady Betty Pressing Surface. Only having one ironing board, the Steady Betty was a great addition because it allowed for multiple people to press at one time. And we were able to put the Steady Betty directly on the counter because it is so small and light.
  6. IRON-– I love my Oliso iron but any iron will do.
  7. PENS/SHARPIES– to draw/trace designs onto your fusible. Make sure to trace your design backwards (mirror image) so they will come out correct on the front side of the fabric.
  8. DESIGNS- Print off our free set of designs or draw your own! Here are some you can purchase if you want a variety.
  9. STORAGE- ArtBin– I got the Double Deep ArtBin storage container which held all of my goodies perfectly! Loved having everything together in one place.
INSPIRATION – Show everyone the designs to get their brains thinking! Then have your guests choose a onesie, shirt or accessory & coordinating fabrics. Teams make this more fun & go faster!

TRACE DESIGN or DRAW design on the SMOOTH side of the HeatNBond (or fusible of your choice).Jess tracing

NOTE: Designs must be traced or drawn backwards (mirror image) onto the HeatNBond so when you transfer to the WRONG side of the fabric and eventually cut it out it will come out the correct direction.
**My designs have already been printed backwards and are ready to trace without flipping. But those who may decide to draw their own design must reverse their design.

Trace Backwards

CUT design out of HeatNBond leaving about 1/4” – 1/2” around the design.
IRON the STICKY SIDE of the design onto the WRONG side of your fabric and press for about 8-10 seconds. Just enough to get the stickum to adhere to the fabric.
TEST by using your finger nail to pull back a corner of the HeatNBond to see if the stickum has transferred from the Paper to the Fabric. If not, press a bit more. The paper should just peel off and not bring any stickum with it.

CUT the DESIGN out exactly on the line you drew.
PEEL back the HeatNBond paper from the fabric leaving the stickum on the WRONG side of your fabric.

POSITION your design where you like on your onesie, shirt or accessory of choice.
IRON – Once you have it exactly where you like, IRON that baby down!
If you are layering, press one layer at a time. Repeat steps until your whole design is done!

SHOW OFF your finished piece and give your “made with love” design to the Mama-to-be!

CARE
*Once the party is over you can take the onesies home and stitch the designs down by hand or
machine. I personally use blanket stitch on my machine.
This is not required but will make it last MUCH longer especially when laundered.

K R Jess
I hope you have as much fun making onesies as we did!
Liv Baby
UPDATE!!!
Baby Liv is now 2 years old and expecting a little brother! See more pics of the BIG SIS on this post!
LIV BACK OF JACKET
Download this FREE PDF to have your own party and make your own clothes!
PDF Moda Applique
 For more printables

Hop over to our new DIY Design Party to learn how to use Iron On Transfers to decorate your onesies, outfits & accessories!
Moda DIY design partyTransfers
completed designs
What will you make with these designs?!

32 comments on “A "Charm"ing Baby Shower

1. Mama Spark says:

What a great idea!! I will be using this in the future, thanks for the templates too.

2. sandyb says:

What a wonderful idea. I can’t wait to try the templates. I don’t know anyone having a baby right now, sooooo maybe I will stock up and wait for the next grandbaby!!!

3. Mindelicious says:

Brilliant! I almost never comment on blogs because I’m too lazy to click out of google reader, but I had to because this is such a terrific idea and I wanted to tell you how smart you are.

4. Just a Q. – do you need to soak and iron the charm squares to shrink them before attaching to the onesies? Thx!

5. Sarah Beth says:

Hi LazyQuilter! We did not preshrink our fabric. Some prefer to do so but I never have and have never had any problems. 😉

6. Laura says:

Absolutely Amazing idea. I will be using this for sure. Thanks for the inspiration and templates.

7. soren2go says:

A very clever idea. I’ve been to a baby shower where we all used the same template and presented the mom-to-be with baby bibs that we made ahead of time.

8. Cherie says:

Love the idea. Short-cut products are always so helpful and take a lot of time out of the sewing process. I’ve bookmarked the page to use later =D

Also I’m holding a swap on my blog. If you’re interested feel free to check it out =D

9. VickiT says:

What a great post. I’d been to baby showers before that were onesie showers but it was only to use fabric markers to decorate one that we each signed. This is SO much cuter. Thank you.

10. mama's girl says:

My daughter is pregnant and I am planning the shower for this spring. You have the most fun idea here. My daughter and I have a lot of crafty friends and they will have fun, thanks!

11. Rosa says:

Thanks for the templates.They are great.

12. Ash B says:

I love this idea! I saw it pinned to pinterest and thought that it was a really creative spin to add to the baby shower! Thanks for sharing!

13. Kim Janssens says:

What a nice idea and how very well explained. I would love to organise this for my frineds baby shower. Do you realy need to stitch the designs afterwards? Cuz I’m not very good at that at all 🙂

14. Susan says:

I was wondering the same thing, do you need to machine stitch around afterwards, or will the appliqué stay on? Thank you!

15. This is a great idea! We did a dry-run this past week for a baby shower I am hosting this Saturday and found that the “Lite” version of the SteamASeam didn’t hold as well and so I went and got the regular version of SteamASeam and wanted to know if you thought this should also work?

16. DianaLee27 says:

I love the group photo! Look how happy the Mama to be is. What a great idea!! Thank you for sharing!

17. Angela says:

Love this, doing it! Only…so the designs have to be stitched afterward to last? I heard the Lite SteamASeam would last through machine washing. Any feedback?

18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

19. Danielle says:

Awesome idea! I am planning a baby shower for my daughter next month and this is def on my agenda! I do have one question: In step #3 you say that you ‘press’ the SteamASeam to the fabric. Won’t this ruin the other side of the SteamASeam that will attach to onesie? I looked at SteamASeam directions on line and it only says to stick it. Just wanted to clarify if you indeed meant ‘press’ or stick. Thanks Much!!

20. RMichael says:

Great idea! Were there ever any answers to the above questions (regarding the light SteamASeam vs. regular, ruining the other side of the SteamASeam that will attach to the onesie, and do designs have to be stitched afterward)? I was wondering them myself.

Also, can you attach the fabric to the SteamASeam prior to cutting the designs. It seems it would be easier for guests if they just cut the designs and then ironed them onto the onesies.

Please advise.

Thank you!!

21. Sarah Beth says:

Hi Ladies!

Sorry for the delayed response. No you are totally fine to use which ever Steam-A-Seam you prefer. I just liked the light because it made it a little less stiff on the onesies. Either will work great! I agree, the light is a little harder to use but I liked the feel of it better. To each her own. 🙂 Glad everyone is enjoying!

And yes Danielle, you want to press with an iron so the heat will allow it to hold.

The designs will definitely stay much better if you do stitch around them. But for those without a sewing machine, the designs will still last through a few washes before pealing. We made so many that we figured she had enough to go around without stitching them down. If you can sew them I would say go for it.

22. Jenny Watson says:

I could not figure out but can say these are most stylish and good, innovative designed template for the Baby Shower program. These are really nice. With all your efforts the mother would be glad to have received such as a good shower party.
    Diaper Cakes For Baby Showers

23. Ellen Pruett says:

This is such a great I idea! It serves 2 purposes in my mind.
    1. Makes the shower super fun. Everyone is totally engaged!
    2. The mommy gets lots of onesies!!! Cute onesies!!!

24. Glynis says:

Brilliant! It’s like shower games, big girls’ creative party class and gift-giving all in one! Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea!!

25. Joe Hudeson says:

Crazy Onesie is Australia’s No. 1 supplier of Adult Animal Hooded Unisex Kigu Onesie Pajamas. Free Express Delivery Australia Wide
    onesie Australia

26. Nice idea! I think we can use the baby tees as baby shower decorations banner with DIY stencil or decorative letters with them… Thanks for sharing!

27. GrandmaPam says:

Great idea! Very clever and creative for all! (btw…peal is what you do with bells. Peel is what you do with fruit and Steam a Seam! xox)

28. Unknown says:

What an awesome idea! So cute!! I could see something like this at a young childs birthday party too. Let them decide what they wanted on their t-shirts, and if they are old enough they could cut their own designs out, then have an adult do the ironing!
    C.D.Crady

29. janet adair says:

Really good idea. If I were the Mom, I would like some small, medium and large ones to use as the baby grows instead of so many of the same size. Babies outgrow clothes so fast.

30. hamad uzair says:

Forex Latest News, Forex Trading Tips, latest forex trading business updates, trading updates, forex trading latest news, forex brokers directory, forex brokers list, Dollars news affairs, Stock Markets, stock market news, stock market analysis, technology news, international forex markets, international forex business news and all updates about Forex Trading
    ForexAffairs.Com